Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007   #1
Phil
"When in doubt, C4"

Phil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of light
New Automatic Transmission Physics

Quote:
After considering this for some time, i came up with this solution:

Divide the throttle axis in 4* or 8* stages, 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, and so on.
If you're at 2/8 for a x period of time, the game will change one gear up. Im sure you get the idea. If you get 8/8 on the gas, it'll quickly swith 1 or 2 gears down.

Enthusia Racing has what we're looking for! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3JkDRmf5g video demonstrating the shift physics we want!
*Preferably 8 stages.
Im sure most of you have either driven or been driven in a car with an automatic transmission. Did you ever notice the way it changes to a higher gear when its not accelerating anymore? Thats thanks mainly to the torque converter.

How auto's work: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm

What im saying is, since R* is going for realism, and adding physics to IV, why not add a proper auto to the cars? Im sure we've all been cruising in SA at 30-40 or 50mph, and got stuck in 2nd gear at 5000rpm. Annoying isn't it? Well if R* simulated proper auto this wouldn't happen. It would switch to third, fourth of even overdrive if you get off the throttle entirely.

After considering this for some time, i came up with this solution:

Divide the throttle axis in 4* or 8* stages, 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, and so on.
If you're at 2/8 for a x period of time, the game will change one gear up. Im sure you get the idea. If you get 8/8 on the gas, it'll quickly swith 1 or 2 gears down.

*Preferably 8 stages.

Not even realistic racing games such as LiveForSpeed (liveforspeed.net) have these things incorporated, so it might be a long shot..
Atleast show your interest in this thread, and reply with your feeling on this topic! If we get enough attention, it might become a reality! Which i certainly hope it does!

Regards Phill

Last edited by Phil; 01-17-2008 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Updated to 2008ish, and cleared out some spelling bears...
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #2
The top Don

The top Don is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds cool and there could be manuals as well
Old 04-12-2007   #3
billyboy_999

billyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to behold
I've never said anything, but a proper simulation of car transmission has always been something nagging at the back of my mind. Its really weird when you cruise at top speed, release for a millisecond and press the gas again, and the car starts the whole 1st gear, 2nd gear... thing all over again. I certainly hope they do something about it, and having a manual transmission option would be sweet as well. I mean, they do sorta fake some things like the jerk when the gears shift, but faking is still faking, no matter how well they do it.
billyboy_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #4
ReLLo
Banned
Banned

ReLLo is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always noticed in GTA games that the cars switch gears, but if you're at top speed, and you release and press the gas you can go through the gears again but with MORE speed.
ReLLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #5
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
You guys are looking too much into the fact that X makes you go faster.
Old 04-12-2007   #6
Cpt_Chris
Amateur Member

Cpt_Chris is on a distinguished roadCpt_Chris is on a distinguished road
good idea, as long as they have time to take care of the major stuff first.
Cpt_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #7
Phil
"When in doubt, C4"

Phil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of light
in fact i see this as a major thing. Its been annoying me ever since III was released..

Im really hoping they take their time and do it properly this time... is there any way of insuring Rockstar has seen this inquiry?

Old 04-12-2007   #8
billyboy_999

billyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLLo
I've always noticed in GTA games that the cars switch gears, but if you're at top speed, and you release and press the gas you can go through the gears again but with MORE speed.
Nah... the thing is it goes through all the gears again, but the speed doesn't change (if you were going at top speed already).
Old 04-12-2007   #9
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
I haven't even read through the first post, but I'm going to say this. GTA is not some sort of racing simulator, driving is just holding a button and should be left that way.
Old 04-12-2007   #10
BigMike

BigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished road
I agree Slim...

I don't like the idea of making GTA 100 percent real, especially the driving aspect, which is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game
Old 04-12-2007   #11
billyboy_999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman
I haven't even read through the first post, but I'm going to say this. GTA is not some sort of racing simulator, driving is just holding a button and should be left that way.
I suppose... but for us racing fans out there, it would make it a lot more fun.
I mean, it doesn't have to be GT or NFS realistic/detailed, but somwhere in between would be fine.
Old 04-12-2007   #12
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
To be honest, I think probably the best thing Rockstar could do for GTA, is include a sort of control panel, on the pause menu, you turn and off whatever you want in the game. You can make it more realistic, and make it less realistic in ways (you can't actually mess with physics, handling, etc customly). This way everyone gets what the want.
Old 04-12-2007   #13
comics22
Do the Testris shuffle!

comics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished road
thast why i say there should be 3 options for transmission styles (comon even flash games have this) is you should have these choices: all automatic, all manual, or a mix of both. but make it reasonable liek pickup trucks are morelikely to have a manual tranny, same with sports cars. but the 4 door just general family car would most likely be auto. In real life both my cars have manual trannys and i wouldnt have it any other way. it makes driving seem fun! automatics just bore me. that and a manual tranny will always get better MPG than an automatic.
comics22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #14
Janesucks

I think it might get a bit old hopping in a car only to find out you have to shift gears when you really cant be bothered. It would be cool if in the manual cars the driver has gear changing animations.

Ive always wanted to see something of the sort, like in The Getaway you can see him pull up the handbrake.
Old 04-12-2007   #15
Phil
"When in doubt, C4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman

im not saying it should be made into a racing sim! all im saying is, since rockstar them selves already called IV an "urban cruising ganster" game.. why not add a semirealistic automatic tranny to the "cruising" aspect.

i dont care about all the other physics about the cars like, handling, traction, etc. Its just the shifting of the gears that needs improvement!