Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Off Topic & Unrelated > Video Games Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007   #16
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
In every GTA game, it's rife with thousends, and thousends of parodies.

Don't dish out what you can't take. It's as simple as that. I don't see how this shows them as evil, as it's a parody. GTA parado yso many things they don't have the right to ask people not to. That's what's evil. Whether Rockstar parodied the Simpsons is irrelevant, because they paraody so many other things.

Besides, it's hardly like the Simpsons were slagging them off, imatation being the sincerest form of flattery, them copying the GTA style of game to make their game. Sounds like they like GTA to me. It's just Rockstar acting like a child. I can't understand why you're fighting for their side, because they're being totally hypocritical.

Last edited by Pignoah; 10-05-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Old 10-05-2007   #17
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
You know what okC I'm not going to bother anymore, if you don't like what they have done, then boycott them. Simple as.
Old 10-05-2007   #18
Pignoah

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
It just bothered me that you were being totally dogmatic about their hypocricy for the sake of favouritism was all. I'll still buy the game, but they don't deserve it, I just want it. Don't try to make out like you were doing me a favour.
Old 10-05-2007   #19
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkComputer
It just bothered me that you were being totally dogmatic about their hypocricy for the sake of favouritism was all. I'll still buy the game, but they don't deserve it, I just want it. Don't try to make out like you were doing me a favour.
Why would I want to do you a favour? I'm just merely explaining it from Rockstars perspective.
Old 10-05-2007   #20
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
OKC, I totally see what you're saying about it being hypocritical but most of what happens in GTA is either a sort of homage/pastiche (Scarface being a big example) or making fun of something like "TrueGrime" where they joke about how lame it is. What's happening in the Simpsons here is GTA is (once again) being made to look like a slaughter fest, which is much more detrimental to it's image than any mockery (not to mention totally inaccurate).

What Ash posted here sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735
To be fair, there is doing a parody, and then just overkilling it, The Simpsons has spoofed GTA many times, Grand Theft Walrus, Grand Theft Scratchy, Death Kill City II: Death Kill Stories, and each time, it's always shown the games as some sort of slaughter game. Now people who know and play the game will know it's a joke, but The Simpsons is a family show, if they keep seeing references to GTA and them being totally overly violent, with people slashing each other to pieces, then yes, it's going to cause bad publicity and will encourage those sad soccer moms to complain about the real one even though they don't have a clue what it's really about.
Old 10-05-2007   #21
X-reS
Looks better in real life.

X-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to behold
I agree. I don't think it has anything to do with them ripping them off or anything. There is a very thin lie between having parody and slander.
Old 10-07-2007   #22
Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob is an unknown quantity at this point
Im glad they told EA weak ass to pull it. I hate when people try to use GTA stuff to make they selves better.
Old 10-07-2007   #23
Japisee
Addicted Member

Japisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond repute
But it's a parody. I mean. Wow. Just because Rockstar made GTA doesn't mean they're suddenly gods and everything they do is right.
Old 10-07-2007   #24
Ash_735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japisee
But it's a parody. I mean. Wow. Just because Rockstar made GTA doesn't mean they're suddenly gods and everything they do is right.
Read what I posted, it clearly explains why. And Remember, Rockstar have been spoofed before and they were ok with it, it's not like this is the first time and they are sueing them!
Old 10-07-2007   #25
Japisee
Addicted Member

Japisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond repute
Just read it, still don't agree. It's the freaking Simpsons. They're yellow cartoon characters with the main one being a lazy balding fat man. That <> GTA.
They spoofed it too many times? Let them do it again, for all I care, I want to play a cool game.
Old 10-08-2007   #26
Pignoah

GTA, IS a slaugher-fest. It's as simple as this. They parody people, they can't take being parodied. Don't dish out what you can't take. You can only parody the truth, it's not like the Simpsons are lieing.
Old 10-08-2007   #27
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
GTA, IS a slaugher-fest.
The rest of this argument aside, I have to flat out disagree with that.

To play through a GTA game it does not require you to "Slaughter" at all. It does require you to kill some people, most of whom are "bad guys" such as drug dealers etc. Slaughter implies killing innocent people. Although GTA has the option of killing innocent people, it is not required and not encouraged, gameplay wise you are infact punished for violent behaviour through the police reponse etc.

When the simpsons had the Death Kill Stories thing "You have wiped out the entire planet's population - Level one complete", that's nothing like GTA.

Back to the argument, they've "taken" plenty of parody before but felt this particular one was putting them in too much of a bad light since it shows a violent game being protested against. They don't want people to think their games are something to be protested against.
Old 10-08-2007   #28
passage
If it ain't raw, it's worthless.

passage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nicepassage is just really nice
I think it has more to do that EA is doing it than they can't handle being parodied.
Old 10-09-2007   #29
Pignoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_86
The rest of this argument aside, I have to flat out disagree with that.

To play through a GTA game it does not require you to "Slaughter" at all. It does require you to kill some people, most of whom are "bad guys" such as drug dealers etc. Slaughter implies killing innocent people. Although GTA has the option of killing innocent people, it is not required and not encouraged, gameplay wise you are infact punished for violent behaviour through the police reponse etc.

When the simpsons had the Death Kill Stories thing "You have wiped out the entire planet's population - Level one complete", that's nothing like GTA.

Back to the argument, they've "taken" plenty of parody before but felt this particular one was putting them in too much of a bad light since it shows a violent game being protested against. They don't want people to think their games are something to be protested against.

You're kidding me. All the GTA's have rampages in where you are told to kill everyone. You aren't punished really for killing innocent people, you're given more targets.

Seriously man, that's a totally rediculous statement. I'm not saying GTA is bad, I'm just saying it is a slaghter-fest. Like Halo is a slaghter-fest and Unreal Tournament is a slaughter fest. How can you flat out disagree? I mean c'mon. You're telling me you never take out the peds, or go around running people down. Just because it's not part of the game, it's still there. They don't discourage it at all.

Last edited by Pignoah; 10-09-2007 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: naughty words yo
Old 10-09-2007   #30
Jimmy_86
Think!

In the rampages/territory take overs you are killing gang members, and yes I suppose those parts are slaughter fests. But to call GTA as a whole a slaughter fest is wrong, the game is not geared around killing as many people as you can, innocent or not. Would you consider the game a murder simulator?

Halo is a FPS, the S of course standing for Shooter, the gameplays main focus is shooting/killing/destroying. GTA isn't so much focused on shooting to call it a shooter.
Quote:
You aren't punished really for killing innocent people, you're given more targets.
In the short term you could view that as the case, but the police showing up is a punishment for causing mayhem because they get in your way, they keep coming forever and get tougher the more mayhem you cause. Even if they don't arrest you and cost you you weapons and some cash you will eventually run out of ammo or health, again losing your weapons and some cash. The only way out is to stop and escape.

I'm not saying GTA is good (violence-wise), I'm just saying slaughter fests are not the focus of the game at all, and the simpsons are portraying it like they are which isn't that fair.

I wonder why Call of Duty type games don't get so much bad press, somehow mowing down (virtual) enemy nazis is ok, but (virtual) enemy gang members is objectionable. It's just the label, the theme.
Closed Thread