Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007   #16
washablemarker
Amateur Member

washablemarker is on a distinguished roadwashablemarker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddyfire
Sounds like Jack Thompson has never heard of freedom of speech. He really needs to get a life.
you only have freedom of speech so long as it does not threaten public safety or the lives of others. and he's trying to mmake a case that the gaming corporation is threatening his life.

but anyway, that guys is a jackass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleadedPenguin
What an unbelievable ego this guy has. The lawyer character could be a parody of pretty much any of the thousands of tubthumpers who protest against videogames. In 100 years people are going to look back at our era and laugh thanks to morons like Thompson - he's no better than the book-burning Taleban.
or the war profiteers in iraq.

Last edited by washablemarker; 09-23-2007 at 12:10 PM..
washablemarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #17
Vortigern

Vortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura about
Thompson is right. The first thing I thought of when I heard about the Goldberg mission was: couldn't that be a parody on Jack Thompson? I wouldn't like being the target in a video game from a company that is so hostile to him.
And about free speech: the same goes for Thompson, anything he says is mocked. Stop bashing the man, grow up.
Vortigern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #18
Elvin D.
RX

Elvin D. is on a distinguished roadElvin D. is on a distinguished road
Look this man called Bully a columbine simulator and stupid ass parents managed to believe him, why should we continue to have this pimple in our society... I hate these conservative christians, their against the gays, other religions, and free speech.....

I just hope that the second america turns into 1984 I am fleeing the country

Last edited by Elvin D.; 09-24-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Elvin D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #19
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigern
Thompson is right. The first thing I thought of when I heard about the Goldberg mission was: couldn't that be a parody on Jack Thompson? I wouldn't like being the target in a video game from a company that is so hostile to him.
And about free speech: the same goes for Thompson, anything he says is mocked. Stop bashing the man, grow up.
YOU, Mr. Vortigern, have alot of learning to do before you should re-post about Jack Thompson and R*.
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #20
UnleadedPenguin

UnleadedPenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
@ Vortigern:

I don't think Thompson deserves any of our sympathy. He's gone after the videogames industry in such a prejudiced, scaremongering and vindictive manner that even trial judges are astounded by the sheer nerve of the man. All of his recent "public nuisance" suits against games such as Halo 3 have been thrown out and he is pretty much the laughing stock of the legal world. He slanders and harrasses game artists like Rockstar with such vigour that the only recourse they have is to parody him, and the only thing parody can hurt is pride. He's currently serving "cease-and-desist" orders on a webcomic which drew a satirical cariacature of him, how much more arrogant & totalitarian can you get? This guy doesn't deserve sympathy, he deserves to be repeatedly humiliated until he gives up his oppressive quest. And then humiliated some more.
Old 09-25-2007   #21
Vortigern

Vortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura about
I don't say he's right about everything, but like every man and woman in the free world he is allowed to speak freely and to be taken seriously. Very little research has been done on the subject of repercussions of violent video games. Experience tells me that it depends mostly on the gamer (being a pacifist GTA player for about 7 years), but I don't think Thompson should be ridiculed entirely. Democracy isn't only for people who share your opinion, or it wouldn't be democracy.
@Iklipse: Don't worry, I know all there is to know about GTA and have followed the news on the Thompson-R* feud.
Vortigern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #22
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigern
I don't say he's right about everything, but like every man and woman in the free world he is allowed to speak freely and to be taken seriously.
Just like every man and woman in the free world has the right to think Thompson should not be allowed to speak freely and just like they have the right to not take him seriously. It's hard to take him seriously if he continues to use these shoddy 50s style arguments against violent video games, too.

Quote:
Very little research has been done on the subject of repercussions of violent video games. Experience tells me that it depends mostly on the gamer (being a pacifist GTA player for about 7 years), but I don't think Thompson should be ridiculed entirely.
Just because he has a point somewhere, doesn't mean we can't ridicule him for bringing it in such a stupid and short-sighted way.

Quote:
Democracy isn't only for people who share your opinion, or it wouldn't be democracy.
Sure, he's allowed to speak his opinion and we can't think it sucks.

Quote:
@Iklipse: Don't worry, I know all there is to know about GTA and have followed the news on the Thompson-R* feud.
Good, now I can sleep tonight.

Last edited by ZCAB; 09-25-2007 at 04:50 AM..
ZCAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #23
jamaican_pickle
Banned
Banned

jamaican_pickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Jack Thompson can voice his opinion, but he shouldn`t try nd shutdown the franchise..... he'd never be able to walk down the street again.....nd if us gamers want to play the game thats our choice , not his to make for us
jamaican_pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #24
BlackSilver65

BlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really nice
Anything i could want to say has already been said here. Gotta love this guy eh?
BlackSilver65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #25
xXSoldierXx
Shoot 'em up!

xXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enoughxXSoldierXx will become famous soon enough
Everyone should just ignore that prick, he bullshit's to much about GTA! And it's really fucking annoying.
Old 10-10-2007   #26
BlackSilver65

BlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really nice
It's hard to ignore him when the bullshit he said is so ridiculous
sorry for my language, but that's what it is lol
BlackSilver65 is offline   Reply With Quote