Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Off Topic & Unrelated > Video Games Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007   #1
Skillet
I'm awesome and I fuck dolphins

Skillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really nice
PS3 price cut announced. (Wait, there's more)

Apparently, not only will the current $600 SKU be cut down to $500, but there will be a new SKU altogther for $600! Isn't that exciting?

Quote:
Sony Corp. announced a revised PlayStation 3 console Monday with a bigger hard drive for storing downloaded content such as video games and high-definition movies.

The new $599 PS3 increases the system's storage capacity from 60 to 80 gigabytes and also includes a retail copy of the online racing title ``MotorStorm,'' a company spokesman said.

Starting Monday, the current 60 gigabyte model will cost $499 _ a $100 price drop.

The larger capacity machine won't be available in the United States and Canada until August.

http://www.kotv.com/news/national/story/?id=131051

Last edited by Skillet; 07-08-2007 at 10:46 PM..
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #2
Lettermaniac
To Die For
Veteran Member

Lettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really nice
I'm not bothered about a larger capacity one, I just like the idea of a price drop though. Let's hope it comes into effect in here soon enough.
Lettermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #3
Shadow Conception
Veteran Member

Shadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud of
I've never heard of this KOTV place in my life.
Shadow Conception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #4
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Sounds good to me. Any news on the 80GB having any extras? (Like the 60GB over the 20GB w/ silver trim, etc)
Old 07-08-2007   #5
Lettermaniac
To Die For
Veteran Member

Lettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Conception
Probably just a regional one. Don't they have that in the US, like WNBC for New York, or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman
Sounds good to me. Any news on the 80GB having any extras? (Like the 60GB over the 20GB w/ silver trim, etc)
Golden trim Actually that wouldn't look nice.

I hope this comes into effect here before GTA IV. That would be nice of Sony.
Lettermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #6
Skillet

Skillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Conception
I'm sure you've heard of Gamespot then.
Old 07-08-2007   #7
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
For an extra $100 it better. The 80 gig PS3 was already released in Korea, but the price is pretty much the same as the 60 gig. And by the time that comes out, Motorstorm will probably be a $20 greatest hits game.

Before I believe this, I'm going to wait and see what Sony says at E3 in a couple days. Because this isn't really a big step forward.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #8
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Well there's another Home beta coming up. Glad I won' be working during Sony's press conference.
Old 07-08-2007   #9
Shadow Conception
Veteran Member

Shadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud ofShadow Conception has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet
I'm sure you've heard of Gamespot then.
Nope. What's that?

jk

I was pretty doubtful, since KOTV was a pretty random place to be sourcing material. I saw this up on PS3Forums, but didn't think much of it because of the basically unknown source. But yeah, I guess the Gamespot article pretty much confirms it.

Golden trim would look so hot on PS3, dayum.
Old 07-08-2007   #10
Skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggus
For an extra $100 it better. The 80 gig PS3 was already released in Korea, but the price is pretty much the same as the 60 gig. And by the time that comes out, Motorstorm will probably be a $20 greatest hits game.

Before I believe this, I'm going to wait and see what Sony says at E3 in a couple days. Because this isn't really a big step forward.
Considering it's Sony, this move isn't really hard to believe.
Old 07-08-2007   #11
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Hah, yeah golden trim would be sick, only problem with that is... I'd want the silver trim too
Old 07-08-2007   #12
Shadow Conception
Veteran Member

Why're they gonna release an 80GB, though? Now, people are gonna think of the 60GB the same way they thought of the 20GB, and when PS3 is referred to, it'll still be "$600". -_-

Then again, Microsoft avoided this, since they have three SKU's, and most buyers have bought the $399 one, whereas the Elite is $479 and is only aimed at the "enthusiasts".

I think at the best, to make the 80GB the best one to go for is to price it $549, and the 60GB at $499. Then people'll think, and realize that you're saving 10 bucks since Motorstorm is $60 regular price.
Old 07-08-2007   #13
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, if Sony is smart they will scrap this idea as soon as possible. I don't really care since with my extended warranty I can trade my 60 gig in at no extra charge, but people will still look at the PS3 as a $600 system if the 80 gig comes with enough extras to make it worth choosing over the 60 gig. Even after an hour of this news going live, people are shaking their heads and I agree with them completely. Sony should be taking steps to lower the cost of their primary SKU down to the $400 price level instead. And considering the 80 gig is already out in Korea for around $580, this whole thing seems pretty stupid.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #14
Shadow Conception
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet
Box looks hot, though.
Old 07-08-2007   #15
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Ooh, new box. I actually liked the old box more, without Motorstorm. Is the PS button really red now?