Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Off Topic & Unrelated > Video Games Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007   #1
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
PS2 Gets Smaller

Quote:
July 8, 2007 - The slimline PStwo is already too small for comfort for some, but Sony has managed to make it even smaller! Japan's Nikkei Business Daily reports today that the new model SCPH-79000 of the PS2 hardware features a drop in weight from 900 to 600 grams. The system's AC adapter has also dropped from 350 to 250 grams.

The paper reports that the weight loss was achieved by a reduction of parts. This has also resulted in a drop in production costs, something that's sure to benefit Sony's bottom line.

Sony has started shipping the new hardware, which is visually identical to previous versions.
source http://ps2.ign.com/articles/802/802262p1.html

I dunno why Sony are doing this =/ when they should focus more on the PS3

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #2
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
A different team probably worked on it, you know.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #3
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
What's the point? Seriously, the size and weight of the ps2 is enough, and most consumers would not really care about this.

grimmy is a gay icon
oppar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #4
The_Patient

The_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enoughThe_Patient will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sony has started shipping the new hardware, which is visually identical to previous versions
If all they did was drop the weight its hardly going to make any big financial difference, No-ones going to feel the need to buy these. Especially when the PS3 is going to have a price drop soon anyway. I'm not particularly bothered about the weight of consoles, just the look and performance, maybe if they changed the way it looks this could have been a tad more successfull than i guess it will be. [ IMO ]
The_Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #5
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tatic
What's the point? Seriously, the size and weight of the ps2 is enough, and most consumers would not really care about this.
Oh, but they did when it was PS2 vs Xbox. Remember those days?
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #6
.:nemesis:.
Wicked Member

.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all
Quote:
visually identical to previous versions.
That's not really smaller, just lighter, don't see any problem with it's weight.
.:nemesis:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #7
Japisee
Addicted Member

Japisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond repute
Well, Sony is getting more money out of this, so why wouldn't they do it? Tons of people are still buying PS2s so maybe they're trying to compensate the losses they've had with the PS3.
Japisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #8
John JJ

John JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura about
Who really cares about the weight? As long as it isn't a ton I am happy.
Old 07-08-2007   #9
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Don't see why it's really necessary to lighten it up. It's a stationary item, and those sorts of items' weights really aren't a big deal, or size in general at that.
Old 07-08-2007   #10
Jay
(V) (;,,;) (V)
Wicked Member

Jay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond repute
Well it'll make production cheaper for them, so i can see why they'd do it =p
Old 07-08-2007   #11
Lucky
That Guy

Lucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of lightLucky is a glorious beacon of light
I have to agree with Slim. When I get a console, I don't move it around. Unless you need to travel with it alot, there's no real need for it to be lighter than it already is. It's a convient size for travel when you need to, but it's not even that heavy to begin with.

Although I guess this is good if you want to mod it into a portable PS2 as some people have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
There's loads of other fish in the sea. Stay out of the whales. Fucking fatties.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #12
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
I think there overdoing it. Not that i'm saying its bad but the PS2 is fine as it is for me at least
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #13
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
It's not meant to replace it or be marketed as a revelation, they are just updating the PS2 so it uses cheaper components, which in return, means more money for them. All consoles do it, don't announch it though, but I guess they are just putting it out there to let people know they will be getting money from older things too.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #14
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
yea but does these cheaper components they used, mean less lifetime for the unit is what I would worry about, would break down more often

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #15
JCMercenary
If you can't wear a spandex jumpsuit...

JCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of light
I still have a regular PS2, one of those big ones. Got it in 2003, still works fine. I don't plan on getting a Slimline or anything, The regular one only weighs like, 5 lbs.

JCMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote