Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2007   #46
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Xan, "Is your brain dead?" is not necessary. It's not up to Sony or Microsoft whether third party downloadable content is free anyhow.
Old 06-16-2007   #47
Skillet
I'm awesome and I fuck dolphins

Skillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman
Rockstar doesn't do something like this to their fans, they wouldn't. Rockstar had a deal with Sony since GTA III, so did that mean the games would never be released on Xbox? Nope, it surely was, the PS2 versions never got anything extra than the Xbox versions, can't see why they wouldn't follow that same pattern here. Everyone gets the same thing, just at different times. Don't let the word "exclusive" put you in doubt, Rockstar uses that word in probably the worst ways possible we've learned over the years. No deal with anyone will change that.
That's probably due to the fact that the Xbox versions were probably still in development when the PS2 versions were available. As far as I'm concerned, things change as time goes by and Rockstar couldn't care less as to what the fans want.
Old 06-16-2007   #48
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Rockstar is not like that. They do care, and do not treat any user base unfairly than another.

Also, if anything the Xbox versions of the PS2 GTA's got a little more than the PS2 versions with enhanced graphics and such. Later release for these things means more development time, which means the quality is better, which in the end could mean a much better result, even though this user base is not the first bunch to receive it.

Last edited by Slim Trashman; 06-16-2007 at 07:49 PM..
Slim Trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #49
Skillet
I'm awesome and I fuck dolphins

Skillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really niceSkillet is just really nice
Quote:
Rockstar is not like that. They do care, and do not treat any user base unfairly than another.
They are when money is involved.
Old 06-16-2007   #50
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

They have more than enough money as this time I assure you. No one here is actually aware of Rockstar's position on making money, only has it been speculated by whoever that guy was a few weeks back (remember, Halo 3 pushing back IV release?). Rockstar replied confirming Halo 3 will have no effect on GTA IV's release, even though this guy speculated Rockstar could make more money by doing so. Little bit of unofficial proof there.
Old 06-16-2007   #51
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet
That's probably due to the fact that the Xbox versions were probably still in development when the PS2 versions were available. As far as I'm concerned, things change as time goes by and Rockstar couldn't care less as to what the fans want.
Actually no, Rockstar did have an exclusive deal signed stating

Quote:
Grand Theft Auto games will remain exclusive to Sony Entertainment until 2004.
This quote comes directly from OPSM2 Aus Issue 07 October 2002, it is stated in an preview of Vice City, where they had an interview with Dan Houser and former employee Terry Donovan.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #52
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

True quote there, even though they actually continued with this throughout the 2 years of the Stories series development (late 2004 - late 2006). Couple reasons Sony didn't make get this exclusivity deal here. One is they didn't jump on it as quickly as Microsoft, however this may have actually been confirmed false when the following reason was announced. Rockstar did not believe Sony's PlayStation 3 user base was strong enough at the time to make any exclusivity deals (but what is exclusive to Rockstar anyway?) at the time. Can't argue with that. Microsoft's Xbox 360 user base is definitely stronger and much larger than that of Sony's PlayStation 3. If the releases of the two consoles were swapped, this would probably be opposite. More time for user base development (an extra year to be exact). This is the one case where Rockstar is looking to make more money, but it's not actually ripping off, or preferring, one platform to another. With time we'll see where this exclusive content issue goes, there's not actually been any official announcement (such as a press release on Take2's web site) regarding said content to only ever be released for the 360 version of the game. Only then I could ever truly be convinced. If this content's destiny lies down the road of the 360 version, so be it, however it will be a great loss to those PS3 users.
Old 06-16-2007   #53
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
@ Slim..I like what you said about * an extra year to be exactr* my thoughts aswell.Even thou I'm a multi-console player,I lean more heavily toward playstation.Thanks fot putting a dot on this ST.
Old 06-16-2007   #54
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
Also with the Stories issue you have to take into account that perhaps Microsoft didn't want the games for their consoles. Microsoft haven't been giving nearly as much support for the XBox as Sony have to the PS2.

Pure speculation though.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #55
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

I doubt that, victim. The actual demand for the Stories series on consoles (rather portable, PSP) was not that high, so it would seem a waste to release ports for both the PS2 and Xbox.
Old 06-16-2007   #56
FG
CJ would be so proud

FG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to beholdFG is a splendid one to behold
Definition of * Exclusive*

By dictionary.com.... *undivided excluded to other's.*

By Rockstar.....*undivided excluded to other's-time's out in a few month's*
Old 06-16-2007   #57
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
MS supposedly paid 50 million to get this exclusive content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735
Well in Europe and Japan, Blu-Ray is winning by 3 to 1, and that DOESN'T include the PS3 sales where as the HD-DVD sales DO, plus with the studios backing, My personal choice would be Blu-Ray because of the films choices.
Neither is "winning". Blu ray and hddvd are getting their asses kicked by dvd. No one cares about hi dev movie content. Upscaled dvds are good enough. We don't need blu ray or hd dvd.

Last edited by Himuro; 06-16-2007 at 09:10 PM..
Himuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #58
Blazer

Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm 100% with ST. Until there's an official announcement, I wouldn't say its "exclusive" (or exclusive for how long) to the 360. Where as III/VC/SA was exclusive to the PS2, the contract had "flaws" i guess where they could release it for the xbox after a certain amount of time. By the time it was ported from PS2>Xbox they revamped the graphics a little bit, and xbox could actually handle the better graphics. As I recall how VC was, the lights, and wheels were 800 times better than the PS2 version. Graphics seemed to be a little bit more crisp. Either way, I dont even think Rockstar ever SAID that the GTA franchise was ever EXCLUSIVE to only PS2. obviously I can be wrong because they can say stuff I didn't care to read about in press releases, but go look at the boxart of SA. It has nothing to say it is only for the PS2. I believe there was certain titles that said "Only for PS2" or whatever they phrased it, similar of Gears Of War being "Only for Xbox 360"

But until Rock* or Take2 mentions anything about it officially for if its exclusive or not, who knows. And reading other articles from that website, it looks like they have no idea what they're talking about, but thats personal opinion.
Old 06-16-2007   #59
Tendercrisp
Hi.
Addicted Member

Tendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
True quote there, even though they actually continued with this throughout the 2 years of the Stories series development (late 2004 - late 2006). Couple reasons Sony didn't make get this exclusivity deal here. One is they didn't jump on it as quickly as Microsoft, however this may have actually been confirmed false when the following reason was announced. Rockstar did not believe Sony's PlayStation 3 user base was strong enough at the time to make any exclusivity deals (but what is exclusive to Rockstar anyway?) at the time. Can't argue with that. Microsoft's Xbox 360 user base is definitely stronger and much larger than that of Sony's PlayStation 3. If the releases of the two consoles were swapped, this would probably be opposite. More time for user base development (an extra year to be exact). This is the one case where Rockstar is looking to make more money, but it's not actually ripping off, or preferring, one platform to another. With time we'll see where this exclusive content issue goes, there's not actually been any official announcement (such as a press release on Take2's web site) regarding said content to only ever be released for the 360 version of the game. Only then I could ever truly be convinced. If this content's destiny lies down the road of the 360 version, so be it, however it will be a great loss to those PS3 users.
After reading that immense wall of text, you actually persuaded me and changed my mind about a few things. Who knows, maybe things will be different... regarding the "exclusive" content.
Old 06-16-2007   #60
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Why do you guys need an official announcement? R* has gone on record to say it's exclusive, so has MS.
Himuro is offline   Reply With Quote