Old 04-13-2007   #1
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Timeflow?

I was wondering what you all think GTAIV needs to change regarding timecycles in comparison to the older GTAs. GTA1 and London only featured daytime (IIRC), GTA2 let you choose between noon and dusk, and the 60x timeflow we all know so well was introduced in GTAIII and used in all major GTAs after that. Naturally, it would be much of a step back if R* went with the former two choices, but I personally think the third system should be overhauled, too.
The GTAs that used the 60x system all had the flaw that it was simply too light during the night, which took away from atmosphere, especially in the woods in San Andreas. The reason they were this light, I think, was because the days were so short and it would be annoying to be restricted to blind driving every 14 minutes.
I really hope R* slows down the time flow greatly. I wouldn't even mind if they made the time flow 1x with the opportunity to skip a few hours on demand (a la Morrowind \ Oblivion). This way, the night can be darker (which they should be since R* is promising these huge differences between day and night in GTAIV).
ZCAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #2
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
I was actually thinking about this earlier. Rockstar should definitely make time more realistic. However, if Rockstar were to do the missions such as come back between 12.00-20.00 would be gone, as people would have to wait too long. They probably shouldn't have the 1x a 10x would probably suit it better maybe.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #3
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by victim
I was actually thinking about this earlier. Rockstar should definitely make time more realistic. However, if Rockstar were to do the missions such as come back between 12.00-20.00 would be gone, as people would have to wait too long.
Like I said, they could make some kind of time-skip thing (You press a key, "How long would you like to wait?" 1-24 hours).
ZCAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007   #4
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
Well, remember they told us that we'd have the whole cell phone thing and all to help with missions and shit.
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007   #5
ivar87
CLOVER ROCKER
Amateur Member

ivar87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by baleent
Well, remember they told us that we'd have the whole cell phone thing and all to help with missions and shit.
What does that have to do with timeflow or missions activating at certain times? Nothing.

Looking at the trailer gave me an idea, it would be pretty neat if you could fast forward time, just like in the teaser. With according visuals and stuff. Not just a little black out.
Because of the realism we have seen, I wouldn't be surprised if the time is real. One real hour is one game hour. Although I hope this isn't the case. I'd be happier with like 10 minutes is 1 game hour or something.
Old 04-14-2007   #6
ReLLo
Banned
Banned

ReLLo is an unknown quantity at this point
As long as it's not like Bully... UGH!
ReLLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007   #7
Deej
Special Someone

Deej is on a distinguished roadDeej is on a distinguished roadDeej is on a distinguished roadDeej is on a distinguished roadDeej is on a distinguished road
Yeah. They defiantly need to do something with time flow.

Maybe have some little mini game you could have to take up time. Maybe like gym work. Say you need to waste four hours then you just go do a gym session. Everyone wins.

Yeah. But they defiantly need to do something with it.
Deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #8
Dan

Dan  can only hope to improve
I think a fast forward thing is a good idea, like ZCAB said, you choose how long you want to skip. But only when you save the game, I'm assuming the save system will be simelar to SA, but instead of fast forwarding 6 game hours, you should be able to choose how long you want to sleep/hang around or whatever happens when you save.
Old 04-16-2007   #9
Vortigern

Vortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura about
If they would take not a x1 system but, say a x0.9 system, you could have longer day and night while you could actually see different times if you can only play between the same hours every day. Saving would still make your time advance with 6 hours.
Vortigern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #10
Dan

Dan  can only hope to improve
It'd be cool to do a realtime thing, say it's dawn outside, its dawn in the game, but with R* emphasis on night time bieng so different, this would get kind of annoying having to play at midnight just to see it. It'd give a good sence of realism though, which is what they seem to be after most.
Old 04-16-2007   #11
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
They should make it as fast as it is in the trailer.
Old 04-16-2007   #12
Him

Him will become famous soon enoughHim will become famous soon enoughHim will become famous soon enoughHim will become famous soon enoughHim will become famous soon enoughHim will become famous soon enoughHim will become famous soon enough
I think they days should be a longer then they are in the already existing GTA games, but no where as long as they are in real life. Maybe like dead rising, one game day is 3 hours in real life instead of only half an hour like in the old GTAs. If you want to skip time ahead then just save.
Old 04-16-2007   #13
scorged

i definitely agree with Him. I've always hated how short the days were. But Maybe now that the lighting effects are so good, it might be nice to have shorter days.