Old 04-12-2007   #1
dudlite

Alderney

"In Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar have recreated 4 of the 5 boroughs in New York, as well as part of New Jersey. Broker is the GTA IV equivalent of Brooklyn, Manhattan is now called Algonquin, Queens is now Dukes, the Bronx is Bohan, and New Jersey is Alderney."

Hey i noticed the name Alderney in the update list. My girlfriend is from a small island off the coast of france named Alderney. I think it's got about 2000 people who live there. It was used as a nazi base in world war 2 and still has bunkers everywhere. Also alderney's neigbour island is called Jersey and the part of the city it is being named after is New Jersey. Not sure if this is linked or what, Just thought i would point it out.
Old 04-12-2007   #2
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Very interesting. Thanks for the post
Old 04-12-2007   #3
Macey
Registered Whore

Macey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud ofMacey has much to be proud of
Yeah, the Channel Islands were the first thing I thought when I read about the boroughs.
Old 04-12-2007   #4
Libertine
Newbie Member

Libertine is an unknown quantity at this point
Algonquin rings a bell as well,i'll have to look into it..maybe the whole Algon/Anglo thing.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #5
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Sort of like how they used New Guernsey instead of New Jersey in the original GTA.

Just for reference if anyone's interested:

Alderney - An island in the English Channel, neighbouring another called Jersey as explained by Dudlite

Algonquin - A Native American tribe and the languge they speak, the name Manhatten is also based from a Native American language

Bohan - I couldn't really find anything about this word as it's mostly just peoples name. However it has an unofficial meaning of free-loading or mooching (getting something for free or for very little in return).

Broker - I couldn't find any sort of connection between Brooklyn and any meaning of the word broker, apart from that they sound similar.

Dukes - Duke is a title of nobility, a bit like Queen (but lower).

Having looked these up, only Alderney and Algonquin seem that interesting.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote