Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007   #1
almostrodney

almostrodney is an unknown quantity at this point
car crashing physics

just a thought, i remember playing gta 1 and 2 and when gta 3 was announced i wondered about the crashing phyics and back then i thought it was realistic so i thought cars could only stand like 1 majour crash, but it turned out u could go full speed into a wall and everything was ok,lol. so if rock* are aiming for realism could this be the case for the new IV
Old 04-12-2007   #2
.:nemesis:.
Wicked Member

.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all
Nah, i think R* will stick to the level their at, i can see it being a hinderence to the gameplay.
.:nemesis:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
This is where Driver always beats GTA, the physics and damage system in those games are great, for example you can shoot a car up, smash all the windows, knock of all the doors, smash off the boot (trunk) but as long as you don't touch the engine, the car will be pretty much fine and still work. But if you take an undamaged car and unload a shotgun into the engine or petrol tank then the car is pretty much gone.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #4
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
Too much realism is boring.
Old 04-12-2007   #5
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
^Agreed.

It would be cool to see realistic damage that doesn't affect actual driving (unless a tire pops), but anything that slows you down or whatever, too realistic, too annoying. Although, the explosions really need to improve rather than: vehicle starts flaming, vehicle jumps up 4 feet, explosion sound, big fireball, vehicle loses all damageable parts, vehicle texture changes to black.

Yeah, that's just getting boring.
Old 04-12-2007   #6
BigMike

BigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished road
Yea...with the new physics engine I'm guessing the explosions of the cars will be way better
Old 04-12-2007   #7
GTAmissions.com
Amateur Member

GTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished road
I think extreme realism would be fucking fun when it comes to car damage. Going 80 mph into a brick wall SHOULD annihlate the damn car! Roll overs SHOULD crush the roof! It would force people to actually become good drivers.

Most of the missions in all the GTA games can be passed even if you smash into everything in site! (and i should know! I love smashing into things!). Minor colisions i could understand being able to continue driving, but major crashes should disable the car, if not entirely, at least some what. Such as maybe losing a wheel, or knocking your alignment all out of whack!

mm mmmmmmm
GTAmissions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #8
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
To be fair, I'm all for improved realism in cars, that's why I like Driver, Cop chases in Driv3r are better because of how they act and the cars damage system. Cars only slow down once the enine gets badly beaten up, to translate that into GTA it would only mean the car slowing down one hit before it catches fire. One of the things I found comicly in Vice City, is that you wouldn't lose health after smashing a car at top speed into many things but you would lose 2 health points from a very small fall. I'd like character damage in cars but not for small bumps I'm talking losing health for like smashing into a tree at 100Mph. Everyone always requests real things to do with the character yet nothing to do with the cars.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #9
Sonikdude750
you cant handle the truth

Sonikdude750 is on a distinguished roadSonikdude750 is on a distinguished roadSonikdude750 is on a distinguished road
The car physics definitely need a tune-up. I also enjoy Driver's car physics, but I also enjoy being able to flip around 20 times in the air in GTA. GTA has always been kinda cartoony looking, but with the new graphics overhaul, they might decide to work on the physics also.

Damage to the car is another thing. Know what I wanna see? Real time damage effects. You hit the car's side and that exact spot gets damaged. Hit a pole going 80 mph and the car will wrap around the pole! With the new physics engines and everything, I think this would be possible.
Sonikdude750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #10
GTAmissions.com
Amateur Member

GTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished roadGTAmissions.com is on a distinguished road
I think it'd be nice if you could die in car accidents in GTA IV, and lose health too.

I'd also like to have the choice of wearing my seatbelt or not! And maybe have Niko take less damage and survive more grusome accidents if he is strapped in! They could also throw in a negative attribute to wearing the seatbelt, such as it might take a second longer to get out of the car, (could be detrimental if you've got a lot of cops on you), so basically you'd be able to make your own choice: Wear the seat belt at be a little safer, but lose time if you have to bail OR don't wear the seat belt, and risk more health/death but be able to jet from the car much quicker than if you had one on!

I would also like to run over people's pets, baby carages and pregnant women! (Hey, why should only grown-ups die?!)

mm mmmmmmm
GTAmissions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #11
CrimsonBlaze

CrimsonBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735
To be fair, I'm all for improved realism in cars, that's why I like Driver, Cop chases in Driv3r are better because of how they act and the cars damage system. Cars only slow down once the enine gets badly beaten up, to translate that into GTA it would only mean the car slowing down one hit before it catches fire.
I recall that feature being in GTA2, as well as the audio of the engine changing too.
CrimsonBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #12
GTA Mike
Eh?

GTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to behold
I would just like to see more damage, but for it to not greatly affect the handling of the car itself
Old 04-12-2007   #13
comics22
Do the Testris shuffle!

comics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished road
i agree with th eother driver fans. they have realistic cops and car physics. and if you go somewhere where cops usually arent guess what there arent cops! not liek in GTA's where you could be on a dirt road and 3 FBI truck are roaming about or a tank or the truck thing. i wish the cars would at least just get damaged to a point where they couldnt be driveable and not explode every damn time. now if it were a bad crash like going 100mph and then rollign endlessly then yes id be happy if the car would explode but not when its just turned on its side...
comics22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #14
cox
Certified Tester

cox is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to be able to cut a car in half with a chainsaw.
Old 04-13-2007   #15
C-Bullets
Playboy X

C-Bullets is on a distinguished roadC-Bullets is on a distinguished roadC-Bullets is on a distinguished roadC-Bullets is on a distinguished road
I would like to see realism to the car physics but I wouldn't want it too realistic.