Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your thoughts?
I think modding should be easy, keep the archives and data the same. 22 84.62%
I don't care about modding, I'd rather it take up less space. 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2007   #16
Xeroer

Xeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman
Ah, I see. How do you know all this info though? (R* Leeds wrote the manuals; the IV may mean more than just a number)
I didn't say I know that it means more than a number.
Just some speculation.

And it is NOT because of the style of the logo. The logo looks normal to me. I don't understand the fuss other people make from it.
Old 03-17-2007   #17
Pivac

Pivac is an unknown quantity at this point
I hope modding support will be better than it used to be. Now, when guys from Rockstar have their own engine, they should be able to release some useful tools as well.
Lots of developers do this, and I'm sure that modding affects sales.

So, it's either gonna be harder or easier to mod the game. Probably easier, because we all understand how important it is.

Personally, I would love to see some kind of map editor and easier mission scripting (or some tool where you could script missions in 3D enviroment).
Old 03-17-2007   #18
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Rockstar always had there own Engine for GTA. Just the fact they didn't expect modding and etc to get so big

I' still expect no tools or etc whatsoever from them. People won't expect something like CryEngine 2 editor anyway
Old 03-17-2007   #19
Xeroer

Xeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished road
Rockstar has far more control over their RAGE engine, compared to the RenderWare SDK they used for the GTAIII generation games.
Old 03-17-2007   #20
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroer
I didn't say I know that it means more than a number.
Just some speculation.

And it is NOT because of the style of the logo. The logo looks normal to me. I don't understand the fuss other people make from it.
Well I meant more of the "Leeds wrote the manual"

And yes, very much agree with you about the logo.
Old 03-17-2007   #21
Xeroer

Just thought I'd point that out.

Not really much more to say about the manual, though.
Old 03-17-2007   #22
Pivac

Pivac is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Rockstar always had there own Engine for GTA.
That one (Renderware) isn't really their engine and many other developers use it.
Old 03-17-2007   #23
the punisher
Ham

the punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enough
Modding should be allowed. But does anyone think the game will be down-sized because of the X360's DVD drive low storage capacity? I mean, not all X360 owners have an HD-DVD drive so they cant release it on it, so it will be stricted to 4.7GB which would suck for PS3 and 360 owners alike, as the two versions are the same, thus R* wouldn't be benefitting from the stanard Blu-Ray drive in the PS3. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2007   #24
Xeroer

You mean it would be restricted to about 9.2GB.
And now days, Rockstar can squash a lot onto that size disc.

Really, I don't think Rockstar could have used 52.3GB or whatever it is for Blu-Ray.
Old 03-17-2007   #25
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
I'm sure no game at this time could take up that much space, but very well could happen in the future.
Old 03-17-2007   #26
Xeroer

Usually game developers do fill up quite a large space that they don't need.
It is to give the piracy group a struggle to rip it and upload it.

Of course, the space they fill up, they just use "dummy" files, and most of the time the pirates do remove them. It just hinders the process of getting "0-day" launches.
Old 03-18-2007   #27
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I'm having my doubts about filling all that space, no matter how amazing the game might be.

But thinking on that maybe in 1year time the Bluray or HDDVD burners/readers might not be so popular yet they just might compress into a Dual Layer DVD like posted above or 2 DVD's maybe.

It'd get Decompressed on your PC anyway, and I've seen 2GB game go to 385MB so I'm just hopping no need to spend money on a new drive
Old 03-18-2007   #28
Xeroer

In a few years from now.. say roughly 5 years maybe?
When HD-DVD is emerging on PCROM, and games ship with this format - what do they do?
By then, they'll of course still be using DVD as well. Just as it happened with DVD and CD.

After some time, when games use all the space on DVD, they ship with two or three DVDs, or even four.
In this case, the same game will be available on one HD disc.

You really won't be needing a HD drive for a long time.
And by then, it will be as cheap as DVD, if not cheaper.