Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your thoughts?
I think modding should be easy, keep the archives and data the same. 22 84.62%
I don't care about modding, I'd rather it take up less space. 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2007   #1
Roxstein
HK343

Roxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant future
GTAIV Optimization and Modification

We all remember San Andreas, weighing in at about 4GB... sometimes it was the biggest game on your HD, dwarfing the other little 1 or 2GB video games with it's massive IMG archives and map data files.

So, the topic, who thinks that 4 should to be optimized, and do you think that the format should be changed so it takes up less space?

edit: poll added.

Last edited by Roxstein; 03-16-2007 at 03:41 PM..
Roxstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #2
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Well it hasn't actually been announced for PC yet, be we all know it'll come. I say modding should be easy.
Old 03-16-2007   #3
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
I think it should allow modding. I like customizing my game just a little.

Beforehand. We won't know how it's going to work. We can be pretty damn sure it's not going to be nearly the same, but we won't be able to figure out whether or not it's going to be open for modification by just discussing it.

edit: Forgot to add. The way the game's data will be set up won't necessarily determine if it'll save space or even prevent the user from modifying its contents.

Last edited by Thundercracker; 03-16-2007 at 04:09 PM..
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #4
.:nemesis:.
Wicked Member

.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all.:nemesis:. is a name known to all
I would like it to be moddable, but it's around a year to early to speculate about PC version.
.:nemesis:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #5
Roxstein
HK343

Roxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant futureRoxstein has a brilliant future
FYI, the console and PC version don't differ very much at all as far the data goes, so we should (i'm not sure about the new discs on the 360 and PS3) be able to find out when the console version is released by popping it in our PC dvd drives.
Old 03-16-2007   #6
Xeroer

Xeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished road
4?

Who said the new GTA is GTA4?
Last I chcked, it was GTA IV.

And I prefer optimization. If you're modding a game, you generally know what your doing, and I don't think they'd make it any harder than that anyway.
Old 03-16-2007   #7
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Uh.. yeah 4, IV = roman numeral 4, so it's 4.. lol what?
Old 03-16-2007   #8
ballabeata
Schaffe

ballabeata is on a distinguished roadballabeata is on a distinguished roadballabeata is on a distinguished road
No, with the hard drives available now. There will probably not be optimization. This way Sony can sell hard drives too. I can see it now...GTA "IV" takes up 15 Gigs, Processor must be atleast 2.8 GHz, Videocard must be atleast 1024 MB, and not to mention the 4 Gig of RAM. LOL, this would be hilarious.
ballabeata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #9
Xeroer

Xeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished road
I'm sure the modding community has been remembered as Rockstar developed the game.
I mean, it is quite a large community.

Then again, look where the modding community got them last time.

Coffee, anyone?

Last edited by Xeroer; 03-16-2007 at 11:34 PM..
Xeroer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #10
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Just not the look of the roman numerals coughtheeffectsontheIVmeannothing

Now you've just really got me wondering

Edit: Xeroer, you edited your post?

I understand what you're saying about the hot coffee thing, but it really was their fault for leaving that sort of content on the game. Modders and any fans of modifications shouldn't be punished by a fault on Rockstar's part. However, after this incident, Rockstar stopped listing fan sites in the game manuals. Was this because of hot coffee, or simply because the stories' weren't as big?

Last edited by Slim Trashman; 03-17-2007 at 12:02 AM..
Slim Trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007   #11
ballabeata
Schaffe

ballabeata is on a distinguished roadballabeata is on a distinguished roadballabeata is on a distinguished road
lol. IV with effects means that R* is keeping you busy until March 29.
ballabeata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #12
Huey_Pilot

Huey_Pilot is on a distinguished roadHuey_Pilot is on a distinguished roadHuey_Pilot is on a distinguished roadHuey_Pilot is on a distinguished roadHuey_Pilot is on a distinguished road
I hope its possible to modify it, if you can't then I probably won't buy it. Unless it has some really amazing cars, land, and other cool stuff.
Huey_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #13
Xeroer

Rockstar Leeds wrote the manuals, I believe.
They aren't as huge on PR as Rockstar North is.

Also, the "stories" series wasn't so big, as you said. This was evident on a lot of GTA websites.
So, if the PSP games (and the PS2 converts) weren't doing so good online, I guess they didn't want to give webmasters a favour there.
Old 03-17-2007   #14
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Ah, I see. How do you know all this info though? (R* Leeds wrote the manuals; the IV may mean more than just a number)
Old 03-17-2007   #15
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't care, i'm gonna get a Bluray or HDDVD burner or reader some day anyway. I don't want the graphics of a
hawk shit and prerecorded cutscenes. Give me the raw pure graphics.

Though modding will stay the same in concept i think