Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007   #31
Xeroer

Xeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished road
Just going onto what I said earlier, "beta testing" isn't too much like "QA testing".

Like Kodo said, you'll be doing amazingly dull things.

Did you have any really annoying missions or things to do in the other GTA games?
Imagine doing it a thousand times, from 9am to 6pm.

Tester: "This mission doesn't appear buggy."
Programmer: "Doesn't appear? Play it again, double check"
Tester: "All done, no bugs."
Programmer: "Okay, try changing X to Y and play again. Twice."
Tester: "Works."
Programmer: "Y to Z. Repeat"
Tester: "Bug found."
Programmer: "Reproduce."
Tester: "Reproduced."
Programmer: "Documentate"

Great! A bug! This is really bad news for you. It means you need to sit around for a few hours going very slowly in the game and writing down what bug group it is in (e.g. A, B, C, D, F), write a few pages on how to get to it, what you believe causes it, and include information you may think that can prevent it.

By time GTA IV comes out, you won't want to touch any GTA game

Last edited by Xeroer; 03-08-2007 at 06:53 PM..
Xeroer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #32
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Well yeah, does sound pretty uh, "sucky". But if you could put that aside, personally, Xeroer, I think you'd be perfect for this.
Old 03-08-2007   #33
Xeroer

Xeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished roadXeroer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman
Well yeah, does sound pretty uh, "sucky". But if you could put that aside, personally, Xeroer, I think you'd be perfect for this.
Only reason I would apply for this is because, along with the previous QA testing (not just beta testing) I've done, it is considered "a foot in the door".

Might ruin the GTA IV experience for me, but I see it as a normal job that can lead to a high-paying career, as a senior programmer or such one day.

EDIT: Just sent in my resume with a cover letter.
If I am hired, this may be the last you guys hear of me 'till GTA IV/Manhunt 2 is released

Last edited by Xeroer; 03-08-2007 at 08:29 PM..
Xeroer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #34
billyboy_999

billyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to behold
Do you know how to program? It might help, so you kinda intuitively know where bugs might occur and stuff.
billyboy_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #35
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroer
Only reason I would apply for this is because, along with the previous QA testing (not just beta testing) I've done, it is considered "a foot in the door".

Might ruin the GTA IV experience for me, but I see it as a normal job that can lead to a high-paying career, as a senior programmer or such one day.

If I am hired, this may be the last you guys hear of me 'till GTA IV/Manhunt 2 is released
Well good look with this. Rockstar would be crazy to not give you the job. You know too much about programming and other vg stuff to not get hired. Although, if you were hired, it would be a shame that you'd only really just gotten back and have to leave so soon

Would you mind posting your resume here, or PMing it to me? I'd just like to see what you said
Old 03-08-2007   #36
Xeroer

My resume is quite blunt.

However, I detailed myself in the cover letter I wrote.

If you like, I could show you that, just see me on msn - xeroer@optusnet.com.au
Old 03-08-2007   #37
nOs jOn
Amateur Member

nOs jOn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeroer

Good luck man, you'll have to let us know after the release date all the shit about R*.. I'd like to see what you wrote as a cover letter too.
nOs jOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007   #38
Xeroer

Thanks guys.

I'm not too sure on the hiring proccess, so maybe I should keep things a little more confidential.

With the cover letter, I basically just outlined my past four years of experience in the Q.A and beta-testing areas.

I wrote a fair bit, but it was pretty beif. Just to give them an idea of my knowledge and what would make me a good candidate.
If they believe I am a good candidate, I will then go further to outline all my previous experience with programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy_999
Do you know how to program? It might help, so you kinda intuitively know where bugs might occur and stuff.
Experience in several languages.
Old 03-16-2007   #39
kelvintwt
NISSAN SKYLINE GT-R R34
Newbie Member

kelvintwt is an unknown quantity at this point
well...hope u get hired by R*..gd luck

Last edited by kelvintwt; 03-16-2007 at 04:49 PM..
kelvintwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #40
BigMike

BigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished roadBigMike is on a distinguished road
Ha good luck haha..

Game testers do get a lot of shit from high employees..just watch Grandma's Boy...haha