Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2007   #1
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Water Related Ideas For GTA IV

I originally made this thread back in April 2006, almost a year ago. I figured it's too old to be bumped and moved to this forum, so I'm reposting these ideas.

*Also, any mods who may think this should be moved into the wishlist thread, please let me know and I'll gladly move it, but since it's such a large, detailed, and water specific list, I figured it would be best to post as a seperate thread.

-----------------------------------------------

The character's ability to swim was introduced in San Andreas, giving players a whole new under water world to explore! But now, at least I, want more water action!

Vehicles

A few vehicles I think would be interesting to see are jet skis,* cruise ships,**, submarines/submersibles,*** and war related ships (Batlleships, etc.)****

* I don't know about you, but the introduction of motorcycles in Vice City made GTA a more fun game to play. Jet Skis are like the motorcycle of the water.

** Having control of a ship the height of a 10 story building and the length of about 3 football fields, now that sounds like fun to me! Not only being able to drive it, but have access to a fully rendered interior of the ship would be very cool, in my opinion.

*** Imagine this, the further out you go into the ocean in the game, the deeper the water gets. Being able to explore something so vast would require the assistance of a deap sea vehicle. Exploring ship wrecks and the deep sea enviorment in submarines/submersibles sounds like a pretty fun feature to me.

-Being able to explore airplane interiors would also be an interesting feature-

**** There's plenty of attacking and explosions in GTA, but let's expand this a little. So far, the only water related gun fire is the guns on the Predator (police boat). But how cool would it be to control a massive war ship, firing missiles and large machine guns at enemies. Sounds great to me!

Damage

Ships and boats being able to take on water, show realistic visual damage depending on the cause of the damage, and realistic sinking animations would be an awesome feature for water vehicles, as well as land and air vehicles, except taking on water and sinking wouldn't really apply to them unless they entered the water.

Water

The water physics and such in GTA could use some improvement. Waves could act more realistically depending on weather, boats, tides, or what is in their path. (Ex. People)* There's really never been "breaking water" in GTA, it would interesting to see it happen and affect players if they happen to get caught in it.**

* Stormy weather causes larger waves. GTA has basically already done this, but say the water gets too rough. Perhaps the water could start spilling onto the land, possibly even causing floods. Different sizes and types of boats create different waves. Rockstar could emphasize this more in the game. The addition of tides in GTA would be an interesting feature. At certain times of the day the tide would be high, then about 6 hours (6 minutes GTA Time) later the tide would be low. And the magnitude of the tides would be different depending on phase of the moon. Water could act as a force on the player pushing them in the direction of the water flow (currents or waves could cause this). The force felt by the player would vary depending on the player's weight (affected by amount of food consumed and working out daily, like in SA).

** Breaking waves would add to the nice "look" of the water. When I say breaking waves I mean seeing barrells in the waves and those points eventually die down as they reach shallower water or the shore. Surfing could also be a cool feature which would put breaking waves to good use.

Other Physics

Sailboats. So far they've only been used in GTA by motors. Wouldn't it be interesting to have an alternate method of moving the boat? A whole new physic could be added for this, wind. Depending on the weather, wind could be stronger, weaker, or maybe no wind at all, and you'll just have to use the motor on the sailboat instead. Wind surfing could be an addition to the game if this were to exist.

Scuba Diving & Snorkeling

So you don't want to take a sub down in the sea, put on your scuba gear and head on down! A meter for your oxygen tank could replace the oxygen meter for just regular swimming. Maybe even a speargun could be added into the game. For the first time, battle your enemies under the water! For snorkeling, no oxygen meter will appear, since with snorkeling there is no limit to your oxygen. Diving under water while snorkeling, however, will bring cause the oxygen meter to reappear and go into affect.

--------------------

Just a few ideas I thought up while playing San Andreas and hanging around the water earlier that I thought would make an interesting addition to future Grand Theft Autos to come.
Old 03-10-2007   #2
Larry Novellino
Larry Novellino - Waconia High School, Minnesota

Larry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the roughLarry Novellino is a jewel in the rough
I could see them all functioning successfully in GTA IV, but the snorkeling sounds a bit sketchy.

Aside from all of your ideas, all that's left for my imagination would be clothes getting wet, and maybe slowing you down.
Larry Novellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #3
Lettermaniac
To Die For
Veteran Member

Lettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman
* I don't know about you, but the introduction of motorcycles in Vice City made GTA a more fun game to play. Jet Skis are like the motorcycle of the water.
Yeah, I'm almost certain they'll be in IV, after appearing in VCS.

Quote:
** Having control of a ship the height of a 10 story building and the length of about 3 football fields, now that sounds like fun to me! Not only being able to drive it, but have access to a fully rendered interior of the ship would be very cool, in my opinion.
That'd be awesome. A cruise ship, maybe that you unlock by doing a mission on, would be fun. Maybe earning extra cash by taking cruises around the area?

[QUOTE=Slim Trashman]*** Imagine this, the further out you go into the ocean in the game, the deeper the water gets. Being able to explore something so vast would require the assistance of a deep sea vehicle.
Quote:
Exploring ship wrecks and the deep sea environment in submarines/submersibles sounds like a pretty fun feature to me
Sounds crazy fun. Tbh I can't really see it happening, especially a big submarine. Who knows though.

Quote:
-Being able to explore airplane interiors would also be an interesting feature-
Yeah. We were given a taste of being a passenger in San An, I really hope they expand on it.

Quote:
**** There's plenty of attacking and explosions in GTA, but let's expand this a little. So far, the only water related gun fire is the guns on the Predator (police boat). But how cool would it be to control a massive war ship, firing missiles and large machine guns at enemies. Sounds great to me!
Sounds awesome. Again, dunno if we'll see it though.

Quote:
Damage

Ships and boats being able to take on water, show realistic visual damage depending on the cause of the damage, and realistic sinking animations would be an awesome feature for water vehicles, as well as land and air vehicles, except taking on water and sinking wouldn't really apply to them unless they entered the water.
Definatley. Realistic sinking of all vehicles is a must.

Quote:
Water

The water physics and such in GTA could use some improvement. Waves could act more realistically depending on weather, boats, tides, or what is in their path. (Ex. People)* There's really never been "breaking water" in GTA, it would interesting to see it happen and affect players if they happen to get caught in it.**

* Stormy weather causes larger waves. GTA has basically already done this, but say the water gets too rough. Perhaps the water could start spilling onto the land, possibly even causing floods. Different sizes and types of boats create different waves. Rockstar could emphasize this more in the game. The addition of tides in GTA would be an interesting feature. At certain times of the day the tide would be high, then about 6 hours (6 minutes GTA Time) later the tide would be low. And the magnitude of the tides would be different depending on phase of the moon. Water could act as a force on the player pushing them in the direction of the water flow (currents or waves could cause this). The force felt by the player would vary depending on the player's weight (affected by amount of food consumed and working out daily, like in SA).

** Breaking waves would add to the nice "look" of the water. When I say breaking waves I mean seeing barrells in the waves and those points eventually die down as they reach shallower water or the shore. Surfing could also be a cool feature which would put breaking waves to good use.
GTA badly needs some nice water physics. Compared to some other games the water looks, bleh. I like all the ideas you've got for water, I hope we see some nice changes. Dunno about the surfing though, seems unlikely.

Quote:
Other Physics

Sailboats. So far they've only been used in GTA by motors. Wouldn't it be interesting to have an alternate method of moving the boat? A whole new physic could be added for this, wind. Depending on the weather, wind could be stronger, weaker, or maybe no wind at all, and you'll just have to use the motor on the sailboat instead. Wind surfing could be an addition to the game if this were to exist.

Scuba Diving & Snorkeling

So you don't want to take a sub down in the sea, put on your scuba gear and head on down! A meter for your oxygen tank could replace the oxygen meter for just regular swimming. Maybe even a speargun could be added into the game. For the first time, battle your enemies under the water! For snorkeling, no oxygen meter will appear, since with snorkeling there is no limit to your oxygen. Diving under water while snorkeling, however, will bring cause the oxygen meter to reappear and go into affect.
Actually using sails sounds fun. Wind surfing too. I think the diving physics need to be improved a bit, though I dunno about scuba diving.

Lettermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007   #4
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Hell of a reply there LM

Heh, I wrote about the jet skis before VCS was even announced.

Surfing was just one of those random fun things to possibly see, like skateboarding
Old 03-11-2007   #5
Gamaya

Gamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the roughGamaya is a jewel in the rough
I like all of those ideas. The one with the "deeper water the further you are out" is fantastic. I wouldn't want the map to resize, rather, I'd want it to move. The technical edge of the map would be miles out, and the sea, as you get towards these edges, gets deeper, more rough, there's more rain, there's rock islands (possibly with hidden packages?) and underwater stuff. Possibly there will be a clue, perhaps, ingame, that gives you coordinates for a sucken ship, and there's a hidden item there. It would be almost impossible to find without coordinates.

Which reminds me, coordinates plotting should come into play.
Gamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #6
gtaperson

gtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
You mean a Freighter? Now if theres was a cheat to make boats to fly as high as the cars can fly cheat, I would like to see that up in the sky! Then again about fully rendered interiors, wouldn't that be a huge chunk of memory?
gtaperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007   #7
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Freighter possibly, but I was talking more along the lines of actual cruise liners. And the memory wouldn't be a huge problem with these amazing consoles.
Old 03-12-2007   #8
gtaperson

gtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura aboutgtaperson has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Freighter possibly, but I was talking more along the lines of actual cruise liners. And the memory wouldn't be a huge problem with these amazing consoles.
Cruise ships? I get you now, that would be fun also to drive. Even though this maybe going to far, it might fun to have cruise missions, get to certain destinations in a time limit. Cruises & Freighters would be fun only if there was a HUGE amount space to drive them.
gtaperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007   #9
Lettermaniac
To Die For
Veteran Member

Lettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really niceLettermaniac is just really nice
Good point about area ^^^.

I think there'd also have to be huge docks. I'd like to see ones that are better than the average ones we have had in past GTA's. A naval base would be cool too.
Lettermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007   #10
billyboy_999

billyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to beholdbillyboy_999 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, even if the cruise ship was only crusing around the city and you couldn't control it, it would still be f*ing awesome. What the hell... implement a mini The Ship game.
There should also be some better way to dock boats and get off without needing to jump and stuff.
billyboy_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #11
jammsbro
Autodrunk

jammsbro will become famous soon enoughjammsbro will become famous soon enoughjammsbro will become famous soon enoughjammsbro will become famous soon enoughjammsbro will become famous soon enoughjammsbro will become famous soon enoughjammsbro will become famous soon enough
my friend is convinved there must be a secret underwater cavern in SA, so i hope there is one in IV
jammsbro is offline   Reply With Quote