Old 12-13-2009   #1
mw123
Newbie Member

mw123 is an unknown quantity at this point
GTA college paper

I'm writing an english paper on GTA and how this game may not by appropriate for kids. As players of GTA i wanted to see what you gamers think. If any of you could answer all or some of the following questions that would be great!

As GTA is rated M for mature many young kids are getting their hand on this game. At what age have you started playing?

Why do you personally enjoy playing GTA?

What makes you think that this game is okay or not okay for children under the age of 17?

Do you think that young kids who play this game may go into the world thinking some of the things GTA displays is okay? For instance shoot police officers or stealing cars.

When you play a video game like GTA that involves violence, sex, and drugs do you find these things socially accepted?

Last edited by mw123; 12-13-2009 at 10:10 PM..
mw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #2
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
As GTA is rated M for mature many young kids are getting their hand on this game. At what age have you started playing?

I first played GTA when I was 11. I wasn't allowed by my parents to actually own it until 13 -_-

Why do you personally enjoy playing GTA?

The freedom to choose how you want to play and what you want to do in the game allows for a lot of creativity and discovery. This wasn't something that had been seen in a game before GTA.

What makes you think that this game is okay or not okay for children under the age of 17?

It's okay assuming they have had the proper guidance from their parents in knowing what is acceptable and unacceptable as well as understanding the game possesses violent, sexual, and overall mature content. They have to be in the correct, healthy mindset.

Do you think that young kids who play this game may go into the world thinking some of the things GTA displays is okay? For instance shoot police officers or stealing cars.

Like I said, if they are not in the proper mindset having had improper guidance about life and what is acceptable and not, then sure it's totally possible. Otherwise if one is mature enough to "handle" GTA, then I doubt you will see something like this happen.

Violent video games influence the way people deal with violence and aggression. When you play a video game like GTA that involves violence, sex, and drugs do you find these things socially accepted?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this question. The first statement kind of contradicts the argument you're trying to make. What do you mean by socially accepted? If you mean do I think this stuff is okay, well that's a different story. Drugs, no (unless medically prescribed). Sex, it's natural. Violence, no. When I play GTA, I never think about mimicking what's going on on the screen.

If you could clarify that question, I'm sure I could provide a more useful answer