Old 12-01-2012   #3031
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
It's times like that you're grateful Halo has a theater mode in which you can replay stuff like that frame by frame. I've had so many wtf moments where I really had no clue how I died or how I killed someone. Ever watch that show fails of the weak from achievement hunter (jack and geoff)? I use to love that, they had such bizar clips sent in every week.
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #3032
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
So Far Cry 3 is playing pretty good with a few things on high and a few things on medium, and it definitely looks better than console as far as I'm concerned. I have 2x AA on though so I may take that off in favour of performance.

Think I'm due an overhaul on my PC though, been rocking the same setup (with the exception of my GFX card) for around 3/4 year now. Think it'll be worth going down the i5/i7 route?
Old 12-01-2012   #3033
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely... I'd go for the Ivy Bridge i5. Amazing CPU for the price.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #3034
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
just don't make the same mistake that piggus did on his i5 setup which was geting a triple channel memory kit instead of a dual channel memory kit

he had to send it back for the correct one.

the triple channel kits are only for the X58 chipset boards (I still have one with a i7 920), Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge wen't back to dual channel

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI

Last edited by Nite; 12-02-2012 at 05:34 AM..
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #3035
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
What do you mean? DDR3 and DDR2?

I just googled it and jesus h christ I'm so far behind on computer tech since I last opened mine up.
Old 12-02-2012   #3036
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post
What do you mean? DDR3 and DDR2?

I just googled it and jesus h christ I'm so far behind on computer tech since I last opened mine up.
they are both DDR3 ram, just X58 is triple channel (3 modules or 6 modules) , and Sandy Bridge / ivy bridge is dual channel (2 modules or 4 modules)

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Old 12-02-2012   #3037
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Now that we're talking about system specs anyway, is there any added value of going from 4gb to 8gb (or more) RAM? Alot of times when I look up (on sites like game-debate) wether or not my pc can run a game (on max settings) it kinda shows that my 4GB RAM is my system's bottleneck. That I can't run the game on high settings because of it (while that's not entirely true). A friend of mine told me that 4GB RAM is more then enough for today's games. Just curious
Old 12-02-2012   #3038
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Even if you don't use all of that 8GB's of memory the system will still use the empty space as buffer (during high disk load for example my system allocates 1GB as a write buffer) and as a cache (The rest, on average 4 - 6GB used for storing files that have been read recently or used often (superfetch)).

It's nice to have Firefox and Photoshop open instantly on the first or second time, and usually I notice that when I close a game and come back an hour later the game will be loading but there will be no drive activity, it's all still in RAM.

Windows, Linux and MacOS. Standard memory management for these guys
Old 12-02-2012   #3039
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Okay, maybe I'll upgrade to some more some time then, RAM isn't that expensive
Old 12-02-2012   #3040
voodoo
Highland Member
Veteran Member

voodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud of
Yeah RAM is cheap enough right now that even if it's only a small benefit it's worth upgrading.

Intel Core i5 750 @3.6Ghz || 8GB Corsair PC310600 || Nvidia GeForce GTX 780
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #3041
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

8GB will come in handy for some games, especially ones where you load texture pack mods and have to use a tool to unlock 4GB address aware, also have to have a video card with at least 2GB VRAM or more.

With both of these you can improve the visuals quite a bit in certain games

Also what Xan said is a good point as well. disk caching, photoshop, video editiing, etc, it helps.

Old 12-02-2012   #3042
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

I've picked out this, this, this and this.

Is there any compatibility issues visible here?
Old 12-02-2012   #3043
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
also have to have a video card with at least 2GB VRAM or more.
My graphics card only has 1GB VRAM I believe (Sapphire Radeon HD6950) Is that a problem?
Old 12-02-2012   #3044
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Not that I can see on a quick glance.
Old 12-02-2012   #3045
ZCAB

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Nope. You've even (instinctively?) chosen the right type of motherboard. It's easy to find an Ivy Bridge motherboard, but pick the wrong one and you won't be able to overclock your CPU at all.
Also, get an aftermarket CPU cooler, and a buttload of case fans.
ZCAB is offline   Reply With Quote