Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Multiplayer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009   #1
california6066
Jai Kim [[Ching Mafia Boss]] ww.CHINGMAFIA.co.nr

california6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these parts
Chat with Rockstar customer support agent

Right, when i bought the game the multiplayer was never working properly, most likely due to the servers being full for the first few weeks etc;

As many of you will have read this before, the message i recieved was

"Disconnected from game session, returning to single player"

Now after a while i was able to play without any problems for quite a few months up until a month or two back when the online suddenly stopped working and i got this message again.

Now i rang up Rockstar and the guy said i needed to open up a port, so i rang up BT and got them to open it up for me, although to my surprise the port was already open (hence being able to play before)

So why the sudden "not being able to play the game"?

Anyway i rang Rockstar back up and he said that i should get a new router as that could be the problem.... this is very frustrating for me as surely i dont need to buy a new router just to play a game. I also have this problem with Midnight Club LA although my other games work fine.

Im on Xbox 360 and i am using a Black BT Home Hub

So what do you think the problem is?
california6066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #2
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Funny that your problem only seems to exist for Rockstar games.
Must be something to do with their servers or something. As for a solution, if you want to exclude your router as the problem see if anyone has another router you can borrow to test out, that way you don't have to buy a new one.
Old 03-03-2009   #3
green18fan

green18fan is on a distinguished roadgreen18fan is on a distinguished roadgreen18fan is on a distinguished roadgreen18fan is on a distinguished roadgreen18fan is on a distinguished road
It's weird that it did work and suddenly doesn't, but I do know that certain routers can make a difference. My cousin was completely unable to play Rock Band or GTA IV online, but other games worked just fine. That is, until he got a new router, and now everything works as it should. Routers can be bitches sometimes.

If you can borrow a router from someone to test, like lillb said, I think that would be the best option.
green18fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #4
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Are you able to test out online mode with the router disconnected? Like, just the modem with a cable to the 360? Or are you using wireless?
Old 03-04-2009   #5
devil chevelle
guy with the worst punctuation

devil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enough
i have a problem with gta 4 online i lag like fuckin crazy and its the only game that i lag with so it has to be with gta 4 but im not using a hardline connection im goin through my laptop.

I am Mister X - Play
devil chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #6
california6066
Jai Kim [[Ching Mafia Boss]] ww.CHINGMAFIA.co.nr

california6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
Are you able to test out online mode with the router disconnected? Like, just the modem with a cable to the 360? Or are you using wireless?
Im using a wired connection, i might upgrade my router to the new BT one and see what happens
california6066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #7
benjamin91_420
Newbie Member

benjamin91_420 can only hope to improve
this game is bullshit. u pay 70 dollars almost and u have too try too play with hackers. now on the millions of dollars of revenue u cant keep cheaters out of a fuckin game. at least put them all in the same lobby and let them cheat together. fuck rockstar, I will never waste money on another one of yalls games
benjamin91_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #8
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Despite the fact that you're reviving a 5year old thread Gta IV actually does seperate the modded games from the non modded games. Do you have any mods installed yourself? If you want to play multiplayer without people using cheats then you need to have a clean game.

The game seperates the players who have a clean version of gta from those who have modded it (even if it's just a small addon). Occassionally some hackers still manage to get on those clean server but that doesn't happen that often (in my experience)
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote