Old 04-24-2014   #1
Zhnigo
Newbie Member

Zhnigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Short freezes and texture pop-ins

When traveling around the map, I sometimes get freezes that last for about ten to twenty seconds, with surrounding architecture having visibly poor LOD, here's an example screenshot. This also sometimes affects cutscenes or dialogues, with voices not loading. Obviously the game has trouble loading assets in time, but I can hardly believe it's a hardware problem since my system, Steam and the game are all on SSDs, and my PC's specs are high end (i7 3.4, gtx780, 8gb ram). What's the cause for this and how can I fix it?
I'm currently running 1.0.4.0 with natural ENB and DKT70 textures, but the problem also persists in vanilla 1.0.7.0.
Zhnigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Well since it's a texture problem it's highly possible that the problem is caused by the textures mod, gta4 is known for it's performance issues and even the best pc's suffer from that

But since it's a bit of a drag to uninstall those type of mods I'd start by turning down the view distance (among other things) and see if that helps . If it doesn't I'd suggest trying to play the game without that textures mod and see how it performs then
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3
Zhnigo
Newbie Member

The problem also persists in vanilla 1.0.7.0.
Old 04-25-2014   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Oh that's not right, I'm assuming you've tried reinstalling?
Old 04-25-2014   #5
Zhnigo
Newbie Member

Yes, reinstalling, rebooting, checking drivers and all standard stuff.
Old 04-25-2014   #6
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

How about other games? Is this problem only occuring in gta4? I can't think of anything that would cause that problem even in a vanilla version.

Maybe try messing around with the graphics settings, I remember one time when I had MSAA on instead of FXAA on farcry 3 which my graphics card couldnt handle so that resulted in an fps below 10. Just a shot in the dark but I don't know what else could cause this. You didnt torrent the game right?
Old 04-27-2014   #7
Zhnigo
Newbie Member

The game is a steam version, I tried many graphic presets and settings, experimented with console commands like -norestriction -nomemrestrict -percentvidmem -noprecache.
Every other game I played on this rig so far ran perfectly, from Metal Gear Rising to Payday 2, smooth as butter.
Old 04-27-2014   #8
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Have you also tried turning off clip capture?
Old 04-27-2014   #9
Zhnigo
Newbie Member

Yes.

In the end I managed to fix it by using these launch commands: -norestrictions -ReservedApp 0 -memrestrict 681574400
I wish I could thank you for advice, but all of it was pretty off the point. Nevertheless, I'm glad it works.

Last edited by Zhnigo; 04-28-2014 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: auto-merged double post