Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014   #1
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
Response to "A Year wtih GTA V..."

This post is too long to put under Comments on the front page. So, instead of shortening my post, I decided to put it in the Forums instead. Most of this is directed almost completely at the development team -- but don't take it the wrong way! I'm not angry -- just expressing myself rather starkly.

While playing GTAV, I was reminded of how in Hitman: Absolution, the designers tried (unsuccessfully) to paint a modern picture of America.

Let's not forget that these games are all created by Europeans in Europe. I'm not saying that I have any problems with them creating games for Americans. Hell -- if Americans had any sense, we'd be creating games like these, and obviously we just don't get it or something. But let's also be realistic:

1: Exit signs shown in both games are WRONG in the U.S.! I've NEVER seen an "international" exit sign anywhere in any place that I've lived in or shopped at here in the States. Nope! It's ALWAYS an "EXIT" sign, in red or green all-caps letters.

2. Location, location, location -- uh, yeah -- there's a TON of stuff that is East of L.A. -- the least of which is A HUGE OCEAN.

3. The whole "we live on a big Island!" thing is getting super-old with GTA. Look guys -- I'm sorry -- but just because YOU live on an island surrounded by ocean doesn't mean that the REST OF THE WORLD looks like that. There's this thing called Google Earth. Check it out BEFORE you try to create any more "maps."

4. I loved seeing one of those "suggestions" on one of the loading screens, advising you to "try driving around with the H.U.D. and GPS off! You'll be treated to a truly immersive experience!" Okay -- I tried it. This lasted for about five minutes, after which I quickly turned them back on so that I could FIND THINGS AGAIN.

If you hope to encourage people to get around without using B.S. GPS maps, then offer some better clues about how to get from place to place. Start by putting much better road signs around (by the way -- I HAVE in REAL LIFE been able to get around large metro areas in the U.S. -- without a GPS -- by following the road signs. Yes, it is possible -- but you need REALLY GOOD, easily VIEWABLE signs to do this.)

Also -- it would be better to have missions in which two people get together in a car -- with one of them telling you HOW TO GET TO A PLACE (like they did in GTA IV -- "turn here! go straight here!" et cetera.)

5. Finally, please -- oh, pretty, pretty please -- no more suicidal police officers. And give us FEWER guns -- not more. A pistol and a shoulder-fired automatic weapon (that you need to conceal in a bag, car trunk, or large coat) would be far more sensible than being able to carry half of Ammu-Nation's inventory in your boxers.

Also -- ease up on the number of hired goons. Even in real life -- if you had a platoon of henchmen coming after you, there is NO WAY that ALL of them would be highly-skilled gunmen.

But really -- I think that the biggest problem with this game, when it comes to exploring the map (and even GTA IV) is that you're basing environments on real places -- and those real places are about ten times as large as what you have created on the computer. It FEELS like I'm traveling around the part of Boston that I used to live in -- which was about two square miles. (I know that the new game is around 7 square miles, but it's too easy to travel around at light-speed, so it feels small no matter what.)

It would have been helpful to include many more interiors. It would be have been helpful to include much more desert. But the reason why (I believe) that they didn't do this was that they spent most of their time on the physics of movement. Plus, to include more stuff, they would have had to double the amount of disk space that they included on one double-layer DVD.

Of course, since you need an HD to play this game... well...

WHY NOT DO THAT!?

Oh -- and now you guys have like billions of dollars in your bank account. Next time, PLEASE SPEND WAY MORE OF IT TO GIVE US A BETTER GAME.

But hell yeah -- that GTA V game was FUN!!! LOTS of fun. I guess that maybe I'm less in the mood to have unfettered "fun," and I'm hoping to play some games that are still fun -- and yet let me learn some cool new things about life. But like I say -- FUN FUN FUN!!!!! THANK you, R*, for trying. If you never even try, then you won't get anything done. And I still think that the best is yet to come.
J.Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #2
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud ofthenotsogoodtrickster has much to be proud of
I can only really be bothered to say something about point 3, and it's simply that it's less of a design choice and more functionality. They could do an Arma style unlimited terrain outside the borders of the map that looks fuck ugly but serves a purpose. Could also include invisible barriers, but I've always though the less invisible barriers the better.

Basically they don't sit round a table and ultimately decide "hey let's do an island again!"
Old 09-24-2014   #3
bennifer3000

bennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enough
I would like a smaller scope game with increased detail. I thought that Dukes, Broker, and Bohan contained all of the games interesting locales.

I wrote this about V shortly after I 100%ed: http://wagszilla.com/2013/10/13/grand-theft-auto-v-criticism/
Old 09-26-2014   #4
Bfett21
Addicted Member

Bfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enough
I've been happy thus far.
Bfett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #5
Rahsmoove
Newbie Member

Rahsmoove is on a distinguished roadRahsmoove is on a distinguished road
One crazy over the top year.
Rahsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote