Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013   #1
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Got a new ps3, my thoughts so far

Finally got a new ps3. I've had gtav since launch and just started playing it. I'm sorry if these thoughts have been posted before but...

I love the presentation a lot. Like the mission when you're driving as Franklin in the SUV and suddenly Michael has a gun to your head? The transition was fantastic. Rockstar did a great job with the games aesthetic and sense of flow. It's very consistent and always stylish.

The game drives this further by making the world feel alive. In sandbox games, or games PERIOD, the npcs typically just stand there, and say random shit when you approach them. In GTAV, you go into Franklin's house and then you have his aunt watching tv on the couch, and you can join her like it ain't no thang. Or she'll be trying to do crunches. Other times, the house is empty. It feels like she has her own life with her own values. The house deco and the cutscene dialogue reinforce this. Rockstar have managed to make Los Santos feel like an actual place, which is rare for games. The reviews were not in any way hyperbolic about this. Sometimes it's limiting, like, I haven't seen anyone in Michael's house yet, but it helps that when you switch to him, he's dropping his wife off at a store for her to buy more useless shit, or he's off somewhere looking sad just as an excuse to get away from the house.

This makes me really attached to all of the characters so far. Even that chick Tonya who I've met only once. They managed to actually make me care about her and her crackhead husband in pretty much an instant. It helps that the characters don't disappear after a mission briefing or cutscene. For instance, after the Tonya tow truck mission, she goes off and talks to someone on the phone. She doesn't disappear, it doesn't end with a cutscene. Or when Franklin has to go to the hills to get the suv, and Simeon is still talking to the guy he's trying to sell that car even after the cutscene.

I have a tremendous tit boner when it comes to meticulous details in a game. It's why I love Shenmue so much. Game worlds should feel like an actual place where the characters have lives. Haven't been this impressed with a game world since Shenmue.

Come to GTAIV. Where is Roman when not on missions? You go to the apartment and where is he? Does he only exist in cutscenes and when you ask him to hang out? Apparently! What does he even like to do beyond staring at tits and gambling? I don't know. Compare to Michael's son. He has an actual identity: he likes weed, plays games, is a slacker, can't handle exercise, and is short sighted. I know all of this about him with barely any hours on the clock. I know more about this kid in five hours than I did the entire cast of GTAIV. But GTAIV isn't alone in this, it's a problem with games, period. Things like this make them feel so artificial and shallow. GTAV may not be as detailed as Shenmue - the characters don't have set schedules, for instance - but it's pretty much the next best thing. And for that...

Beyond the minutiae, I'm loving the game. The controls that plagued GTAIV are gone, and unlike that game, it is actually fun to play and has things to do. It is, in every way, a worthy sequel to San Andreas so far. Just getting out of Los Santos itself is a journey for me. All those hills and valleys, turns and treacherous cliffs.

Unless it starts to tank a ways into the game like IV, I think I'm going to like this. A lot. In terms of playtime I'd say the GTA franchise is my most played franchise, aside from Final Fantasy. It is really dear to my heart, and I'm so happy that we finally got s GTA game that lives up to the name again. Unfortunately, IV didn't for me. V looks to be something special.
Old 10-17-2013   #2
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree about the Shenmue thing... I think that's why I love the world in this so much. A game hasn't felt so alive since Shenmue and it's really cool. You never see that in games.
Old 10-17-2013   #3
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with everything posted here. It's amazing how much of a difference the little things that don't directly effect gameplay make.
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #4
j_harvill

j_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of light
Yes gta 4 wasn't shit compared a "traditional" gta entry. GTA V feels alive in every way. It was the weirdest thing I walked out of house the other day and it felt like the camera was over my shoulder. The gaming experience feels genuine and real.
Old 10-17-2013   #5
jwrebholz
Cola-addled Smartass

jwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura about
I have to agree, with pretty much all of this. R* did a great job making the world feel not just alive, but lived-in. It's not a perfect world. There's construction. The roads are potholed and poorly paved in a lot of areas. There's graffiti and the houses are run down in the projects. It feels like it's a world you're visiting that was there long before you showed up and will be there after you leave, and doesn't care if you live or die. It's great.
jwrebholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #6
phexitol
Ant Fart Video Thug

phexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enough
One thing I love is how many hostile/volatile NPCs there are, which GTA IV was missing for the most part.
phexitol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #7
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by phexitol View Post
One thing I love is how many hostile/volatile NPCs there are, which GTA IV was missing for the most part.
One time I went somewhere with Franklin. I walked the building, and there were some ballas outside. Before, they didn't care about me and ignored me, but when I walked out they started pushing me around and I had to run to my car.
Old 10-19-2013   #8
PzKpfw VI
Registered Abuser

PzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura aboutPzKpfw VI has a spectacular aura about
CAN'T STOP BALLIN! WON'T STOP BALLIN!
PzKpfw VI is offline   Reply With Quote