Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013   #1
dokujitsu
GTA addict since 2001

dokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura about
Wink The Onion lists GTA V's new features

For your entertainment

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new...-auto-v,33883/

"Ability to lick everything"

Sounds tasty.
Old 09-16-2013   #2
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
I might be in the minority here but I've never found the Onion to be funny. Ever.
Old 09-16-2013   #3
.LiLe.
Buggati Boy

.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of
I agree with lynk
Old 09-16-2013   #4
THB

THB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enough
Same here, never liked the onion or "funny or die."
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #5
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by THB View Post
Same here, never liked the onion or "funny or die."

Me too. Not shooting the messenger, by the way -- I did find the article to be entertaining. On the other hand, so is watching fish in a tank...
J.Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #6
jwrebholz
Cola-addled Smartass

jwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura about
The Onion is really hit or miss with me. Some of their stuff is laugh-out-loud funny. Some of it it meh.
This was mildly amusing.
jwrebholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #7
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
the Onion has some awesome material. This one in particular, not so much. but somewhat amusing.
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #8
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legham View Post
the Onion has some awesome material. This one in particular, not so much. but somewhat amusing.
That's pretty much how I felt about it as well. I found it to be somewhat offensive too. I just felt like they were pinging on people who enjoy interactive entertainment like video games. I would love to see them take on the millions of Americans who sit around watching game shows or old sti coms, and not expect to get a big backlash from their fan base.

This really is where generations collide. Or maybe not generations -- maybe just cultures. I don't know. What I do know is that I have difficulty getting my parents to understand my love for video games, when everything else between us is super-cool.
J.Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013   #9
killahmatic
Wildlife Photographer

killahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I might be in the minority here but I've never found the Onion to be funny. Ever.
Yeah, I never have either. Their method is too predictable and that kind of humor can only go so far.
Old 09-20-2013   #10
Tendercrisp
Hi.
Addicted Member

Tendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahmatic View Post
Yeah, I never have either. Their method is too predictable and that kind of humor can only go so far.

Everything can only go so far.

I think it has to do with our information overload culture.

I find my grandparents laughing a lot more easily at stuff than some people my age do, as weird as that sounds. Just my character ragdolling on the ground had my 40-something roommate nearly in tears.

It's because we're so constantly bombarded with parodies and sarcasm and attempts at humor that the "piss-takes" actual start to outnumber the things getting the piss taken out of them. Something like the Onion becomes predictable and unfunny quickly.

Diminishing returns, y'know.

This is true even with GTA V, I have a whole new set of radio stations with new content but the routine of making fun of crazy DJs/politics/the media/greed/corruption/etc etc etc has become so stale that I'm not shooting my drink out of my nose like I did back in the San Andreas days when the idea of a video game seriously parodying modern society was a new thing.