Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013   #46
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
The person who made it is a mapper and I've known him for a long time, he's got the V scale from the numbers at the bottom left of the map, and if you remember what Rockstar said about GTA IV/SA/RDR combined, if you put it against that scale, it near enough matches exact. It may not be 100% correct, but it's like 98%, the GTA IV/SA/VC/III maps are fully accurate as they were done by comparing the games maps directly.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013   #47
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

Algonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura about
Old 09-11-2013   #48
j_harvill

j_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to behold
Thanks ash
Old 09-11-2013   #49
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
Im happy with this. I cant wait to go offroad and push some innocent people off of cliffs and steep hills etc.
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #50
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Just to add to the confusion...

I think Rockstar pull the wool over our eyes a bit as far as the in game distances are measured. They seem to be consistent between GTA IV and RDR (and most likely GTA V) but older GTAs are not the same so comparing SA is stranger.

I did three measurements based on the one method of travel IV, RDR & SA have in common, running. Here's a rough image I whipped up.

The red lines represent the distance and (and approx path) I took, running for 10 minutes. The three red lines are roughly the same length in this image but note that the the maps are not neccesarily to scale (especially SA). According to the in game stats the red line in GTA IV is 1.7 miles, in RDR it is 1.6 miles and in SA it is 6km (converts to 3.72 miles). This means either that CJ runs well over twice as fast as the characters in IV, or Rockstar fudge the in game distance stats (or a mixture of both).
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #51
bboychibi

bboychibi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_86 View Post
Just to add to the confusion...

I think Rockstar pull the wool over our eyes a bit as far as the in game distances are measured. They seem to be consistent between GTA IV and RDR (and most likely GTA V) but older GTAs are not the same so comparing SA is stranger.

I did three measurements based on the one method of travel IV, RDR & SA have in common, running. Here's a rough image I whipped up.

The red lines represent the distance and (and approx path) I took, running for 10 minutes. The three red lines are roughly the same length in this image but note that the the maps are not neccesarily to scale (especially SA). According to the in game stats the red line in GTA IV is 1.7 miles, in RDR it is 1.6 miles and in SA it is 6km (converts to 3.72 miles). This means either that CJ runs well over twice as fast as the characters in IV, or Rockstar fudge the in game distance stats (or a mixture of both).
Cool man! So how do these stack up to 5 based on your calculations?
bboychibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #52
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Ash, in that comparison you posted, the GTA IV map seems to be a bit small to me. Is Algonquin really the same size as the eastern island of Vice City? From playing the games I wouldn't have said so, but according to Rockstar (the in game stats) they are both about 1,7 miles from north to south! :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboychibi View Post
Cool man! So how do these stack up to 5 based on your calculations?
Well I think that GTA V will almost definitely give the same results as IV & RDR, but my measurements are of a practical nature, (unlike the visual measurements the were used in the comparison Ash posted) so I'll have to play GTA V to know. My guess would be that it would take about 10 minutes to run across Los Santos and 30+ minutes to run the entire map north to south, but rough terrain will make running in an uninterrupted straight line difficult and take longer.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #53
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, he imported the maps and overlayed them to scale, which gives the best size comparison. Remember gta4 has the same map space as SA, which is a 6km x 6km grid, but overall the city was smaller, its was at the time the largest city they've done, which is what they said. The only slight guesswork on the one I posted is the accuracy of the gtav scale, but with all info on noard that should be the most accurate one around. The in game distance thing can vary between titles and the slighest mis point can throw it off, which knowing rockstar, can happen.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #54
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
I'm stoked about the map. It's been the hot topic on every forum, and although a few people have expressed some real animosity toward it, most of us agree that it looks amazing.

Here are just a couple of things to think about:

1. The image that we've been looking at is one page from a book that nobody on any of these forums has seen yet.

2. Even if this represents the totality of the game, let's not forget that there is reportedly an entire sewer system underground. Plus, there could be mines (like in RDR), secret caves, enterable skyscrapers (with multiple floors accessible via REAL elevators). There may even be more land (like an island) that isn't pictured in the image that we see in the .jpg that has been circulating.

P.S. I'm also a bit skeptical about the very top of the map. Are we REALLY looking at the end of the Northern tip of a big island -- or is it the top of the bottom of a dual-island. Before you just say "that isn't possible," consider the Panama canal. It's possible to create a map that stops short of THAT land mass too -- which happens to be what we call North America.

P.P.S. Oh, and I almost forgot -- you can't judge distances in any game prior to GTA IV. Gravity, wind resistance, and how fast humans can really run are all factors. CJ and Tommy are not based on real people -- they are really just cartoons.

Last edited by J.Orlando; 09-12-2013 at 11:39 AM..
J.Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #55
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

Algonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura about
Gizmodo has an article that's sure to be cross posted to kotaku that speaks to possible scale. The guy they quote uses rather hokey tactics though (using the length and size of runways to scale match)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Orlando View Post
I'm stoked about the map. It's been the hot topic on every forum, and although a few people have expressed some real animosity toward it, most of us agree that it looks amazing.

Here are just a couple of things to think about:

1. The image that we've been looking at is one page from a book that nobody on any of these forums has seen yet.

2. Even if this represents the totality of the game, let's not forget that there is reportedly an entire sewer system underground. Plus, there could be mines (like in RDR), secret caves, enterable skyscrapers (with multiple floors accessible via REAL elevators). There may even be more land (like an island) that isn't pictured in the image that we see in the .jpg that has been circulating.

P.S. I'm also a bit skeptical about the very top of the map. Are we REALLY looking at the end of the Northern tip of a big island -- or is it the top of the bottom of a dual-island. Before you just say "that isn't possible," consider the Panama canal. It's possible to create a map that stops short of THAT land mass too -- which happens to be what we call North America.
Dude you are SO SERIOUSLY reaching, this isn't a fuzzy map anymore, THIS IS WHAT WE GET, don't start on omitted islands. It's just not likely. I did a search on sewers and apart from what looks like a heist cutscene the only thing i can find talking about sewers is a rumor proven false, that also talks about cars requiring refueling.
Old 09-12-2013   #56
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Dude you are SO SERIOUSLY reaching
So what? Who cares? Seriously -- I keep on trying to make this point and nobody seems to care, so I guess I will stop trying to make it. My point is that it's fun to dream about stuff, and a forum is the perfect place to discuss those dreams.

When the game comes out in about five days, then I'll stop yakking on this forum, and will be PLAYING it. All of this is just to give me and everyone else here the ability to blow off some steam until then.

Oh yeah -- and as I keep on saying -- until we PLAY THE GAME, everyone is still speculating about everything. Even the so-called "leaked" map isn't the in-game map -- sure, it is an accurate representation -- but it's a painting. It isn't the graphical map that you'll see on-screen on your PS3 or X-Box 360.

OH YEAH -- and thank you for the Google maps comparison. That's seriously pretty neat. I was trying to do something using MapQuest, but I was coming up with diddly. By the way -- the San Fransico comparison looks like the most accurate one.

Last edited by J.Orlando; 09-12-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-12-2013   #57
TGF
Infinitely Fucked Up

TGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
I still see a sad dinosaur eating something.

Quote:
If the body did not die, and the fears borne in the mind just continued to pile up, the world would be nothing more than an eternal prison.
TGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #58
Bonecrusher
Addicted Member

Bonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond repute
I see Homer Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
After releasing my mix tape here, people are loving it. Like, loving it. I mean to the point that I'm gone to clubs to perform, all black clubs and they give a standing ovation, getting dab from everyone, and on my sort of"party-and-get-fucked-up" records, the whole club is dancing.
Bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #59
J.Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
I see Homer Simpson

I can kind of see Homer Simpson -- and I can even see the dinosaur -- but the .gif animation suggests a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

Man in the Moon...

P.S. After looking at this again, I'm going to retract my previous statement about the "islands" and stuff. I hadn't noticed before that this image shows the entire page.

I'm not apologizing though. We're all here to have fun. Seriously -- my favorite thread about GTA V so far on this forum is the one entitled "Is GTA V good?" I laugh about that one when I'm trying to fall asleep...

Last edited by J.Orlando; 09-12-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Old 09-12-2013   #60
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

i'm kinda dull on "dreaming" i guess. dreaming up fantastical things leads to more hype and higher expectations, and then you may be disappointed with what you get.

AS FOR WHAT YOU SEE IN IT...

Yeah i can totally see all of that too