Old 08-16-2013   #1
HH
Cupcake

HH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of light
GTA V: The next big MMORPG?

I've been thinking more and more about where Rockstar plans to take GTA Online, based on the information they have provided, and just some ideas that have been floating around in my head, based off of their released information.

Now, this might sound crazy at first (or click with you instantly and make perfect sense), but just hear me out.

Essentially, I believe Rockstar is about to push GTA Online as a full-fledged MMORPG, the first true open-world shooter RPG, if you will.

Let's first dive into the facts of what we know.

1.) Quote from computerandvideogames.com:

"Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies said GTA Online could have launched at the same time as the main game, but that the studio considers it to be "a different entity, a separate thing".

Okay, so that might not seem so wild at first, but be sure to note how Rockstar is expressing that they plan for GTA Online to be something completely independent of GTA V, it's own world if you will.

2.) Quote again from ComputerAndVideoGames.com:

"He [Benzies] explained: "It'll be GTA Online; it's not part of GTA 5. Obviously it's set in the GTA 5 engine, but it's going to grow and evolve into its own thing." Access to GTA Online will come for free with every retail copy of GTA 5."

It interests me that he mentioned that not only will it grow and evolve, but that it would be free with the retail copy. Rockstar obviously has plans to grow the GTA Online universe, perhaps even expanding the map itself. I know we have not yet had a chance to play GTA V, but Rockstar has already stated that the map is larger than San Andreas, IV, and RDR COMBINED. This is going to be a truly massive universe.

Second, will GTA Online become its own game, to the point that users might be able to buy it separately? Perhaps offer GTAO as a $20, $30 copy in and of itself in the Live Marketplace/PSN. This would be an intriguing way to position theirselves among folks who might not be familiar with the GTA franchise (sounds crazy, but a lot of people actually don't like GTA), or might not want to pay $60 just to get the GTA Online title, if that's all they want to play. If they were to sell it separately, I imagine it would be at least a year before Rockstar would do so, as they obviously would rather sell the entire GTA V title for $60.

3.) Let's go ahead and dive into some of the features of GTA Online, and how that would relate to an MMORPG-type world.

Rockstar has mentioned that we will have the ability to purchase our own apartments, garages, collect money (that stays with you and follows you throughout your time in the world), and follow missions, all within the GTA Online world, collecting money from these missions. Also, your character will have a leveling ability, much like any other MMORPG. The picture they have painted here, paired with the fact that they plan to release updates and expand the universe, leaves me to believe that this will not just be a fancy Online mode, but that they have plans for this to eventually become a massive MMORPG, and we're the "beta testers", if you will, to see if people are actually interested in an MMORPG shooter, since it is such a wild idea.

Games like WoW are wildly popular, and make a massive amount of money for Blizzard, their cash cow. I believe Rockstar has seen their success, as well as the PC community and the massive extent of modding they have performed on titles to push for online play (before GTA IV), and expanding even further on these titles to offer minimalist RPG offerings (albeit on a single server, so your progress wouldn't really follow you).

4.) Rockstar has also mentioned that there is a (small) trading system in which you can share your spoils from missions with other folks. I believe this will expand further once Rockstar gets some reviews in after its release.

I close with this quote from the same interview with Benzies:

"What scope have you got for expanding beyond the locations we're seeing already?

Well, one thing we've toyed with - and we've talked about this before, so it isn't a spoiler - is (the ambition) to grow this world until it's the world. We're just going to add on new things to it, new places all the time. We've set this up so there are no limitations. The only limitation is the size of the disc and how much memory we've got. We could, if we wanted, simulate the entire world, different countries, whatever. Whether we do that or not... But we've got a bunch of old stuff that we're toying with using."

I plan to update this further once more details are released, but this is all for now.

What are you thoughts? Will Rockstar deliver a full-fledged MMORPG through time, or do you see them just throwing minor updates out, more missions, etc. without actually growing it on the scale that myself and others believe it will be?

Last edited by HH; 08-16-2013 at 06:00 PM..
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #2
Misanthrope
Scooter Brother

Misanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura aboutMisanthrope has a spectacular aura about
This seems like a valid hypothesis. While I am no fan of online in general, this seems like it may be slick enough to win my time. If they were able to add Vice City to this using the same engine, that would be what we like to call "a wrap." As long as they can control the less attractive facets of online play, and couple that with a smooth experience, I would even pay to spend my free time in the GTA Universe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #3
j_harvill

j_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to beholdj_harvill is a splendid one to behold
I like the theory.
j_harvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #4
John JJ

John JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura aboutJohn JJ has a spectacular aura about
I mean with all the information given I wouldn't call it an MMORPG as of now but, if they were to take the same aspects of the game and throw it into a standalone version, I think the result would be phenomenal. Imagine a GTA game purely designed with all these concepts with just all the focus put into multiplayer.
Old 08-20-2013   #5
xstex
Founder of SocialSteak.com
Newbie Member

xstex is an unknown quantity at this point
That would be pretty awesome. I can't wait to see how fun it is.
xstex is offline   Reply With Quote