Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013   #1
NismoTuned

NismoTuned is an unknown quantity at this point
How to mod for a beginner?

Hey guys I'm a complete newbie to this game on PC. I've beaten it on Xbox 360 a couple of times, and It was 5 bucks on steam so I figured I'd buy it. How can I get my game to look like all those crazy youtube videos? I'm familiar with modding a few other games and am currently working on creating content for NFSMW as well. I've heard of icenhancer but I have no idea what it is. Is it like an enb profile or a standalone mod? Could somebody explain? Thanks.

My computer shouldn't have too many difficulties running this game. i7-3770k @ Stock clock, MSi GTX 660 Ti Power Edition, 8GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz @ CL9 (Full system will be in my sig.)
NismoTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Icenhancer is a graphics mod yeah

first thing that's useful to know about Gta 4 modding is that instead of adding files like in most games, you mostely replace original (default) files. The first thing you want to do is update your game to the latest patch (if steam doesn't already do that automaticly). Then get either SparkIV or OpenIV (or both) these are programs to install mods like weapons, cars and player items.

Say you want to install a gun, just download one from gta4-mods.com .. then you'll have a .wtd and .wdr file. Open up the program you downloaded (openiv or sparkiv) and browse to models/pc/cdimages. THen open up the weapons.img and search for the gun with the same name as the one you have the .wdr and .wtd for (for instance w_glock for the pistol). In SparkIV hit the big import button and select the two files, in OpenIV go into edit mode and right click the files (one by one) and select replace. In SparkIV you also have to press save before you exit.

Most mods are installed that way, just make sure you read the readme
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #3
NismoTuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist View Post
Icenhancer is a graphics mod yeah

first thing that's useful to know about Gta 4 modding is that instead of adding files like in most games, you mostely replace original (default) files. The first thing you want to do is update your game to the latest patch (if steam doesn't already do that automaticly). Then get either SparkIV or OpenIV (or both) these are programs to install mods like weapons, cars and player items.

Say you want to install a gun, just download one from gta4-mods.com .. then you'll have a .wtd and .wdr file. Open up the program you downloaded (openiv or sparkiv) and browse to models/pc/cdimages. THen open up the weapons.img and search for the gun with the same name as the one you have the .wdr and .wtd for (for instance w_glock for the pistol). In SparkIV hit the big import button and select the two files, in OpenIV go into edit mode and right click the files (one by one) and select replace. In SparkIV you also have to press save before you exit.

Most mods are installed that way, just make sure you read the readme
It seems like 1.0.4.0 is the best release of the game in terms of the icenhancer mod so I downgraded from 1.0.7.0 to 1.0.4.0. Was that a bad idea? I would prefer to run 1.0.7.0 but I want the best icenhancer compatibility.

What I'm most interested in is having the best looking game I can get while retaining online playability.

Also, are there no signatures on this forum?

Last edited by NismoTuned; 08-13-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Old 08-14-2013   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
You will always be able to play online but here's the thing, once you install a single mod (doesn't matter which one) you'll be connected to seperate servers to keep you seperated from the people that have unmodded games. So even if you only have a graphics mod you'll still end up on servers where 9/10 people use godmode cheats and the like.

1.0.4.0. is fine too, most icenhancers are indeed made for that one. If you want a good icenhancer just go to www.gta4-mods.com/misc and sort by most downloaded.

As for installation, graphics mods are usually a drag and drop kind of install so it's really easy. Just make sure you have your game backed up in case something goes wrong or in case you don't like the graphics mod.
Old 08-14-2013   #5
NismoTuned

I've got it all figured out. I just don't know which texture mod to download since they're all around 5GB and I have a slow connection haha. Plus this red sky glitch sucks! :\
Old 08-14-2013   #6
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Even though I agree that the red-sky bug is horrible, I'd still say it's more than worth it

I can only recommend what I know and that is icenhancer 1.25, I've used that since the moment I got Gta 4 on PC and have never wanted a different one.
Old 08-15-2013   #7
NismoTuned

Quote:
Even though I agree that the red-sky bug is horrible, I'd still say it's more than worth it

I can only recommend what I know and that is icenhancer 1.25, I've used that since the moment I got Gta 4 on PC and have never wanted a different one.
Do you use 1040 as well?
Old 08-15-2013   #8
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

No I use 1.0.7.0 but that icenhancer is actually designed for your patch, I use a beta version for mine which is already stunning.
Old 08-16-2013   #9
NismoTuned

I shouldn't have said as well- I was really asking if you used 1040 yourself. I restored my backup and am using 1070 because nice graphics weren't worth sacrificing multiplayer. I'm not sure what I'm not sure what exactly I'm missing by using the red sky fix? I'd assume it's just the ENB Skylighting?

I'm not sure what I should choose for a texture pack either. I'm hesitant to download any specific one because of my slow connection. It's too bad Boris V. hasn't fixed ENB yet, but he isn't being paid so it is hard to complain.
Old 08-16-2013   #10
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Texture packs are nice but gta already gets a crappy fps without mods, large texture packs for buildings and roads only damage that ferther in my experience. I'd say get the graphics mod first and see how you like it
Old 08-16-2013   #11
NismoTuned

Quote:
Texture packs are nice but gta already gets a crappy fps without mods, large texture packs for buildings and roads only damage that ferther in my experience. I'd say get the graphics mod first and see how you like it
I've got icenhancer/enb currently and it dropped my avg fps from around 50 to 40-45. I was thinking about further overclocking my graphics card but my room is hot enough as it is
Old 08-16-2013   #12
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

40-45 is still not bad though for Gta
Old 08-19-2013   #13
NismoTuned

how can I install another copy of the game with the steam version?
Old 08-19-2013   #14
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

I don't think that you can, you could however create two backup folders (if you have the space and patience for it) then just switch them out whenever you want to play online or play offline with mods. One would be your modded game, the other your backup (without mods).

I always keep the episodes (tlad and tbogt) clean for multiplayer and use the basic gta 4 for modding, but I'm guessing you've only got gta4?
Old 08-20-2013   #15
NismoTuned

Quote:
I don't think that you can, you could however create two backup folders (if you have the space and patience for it) then just switch them out whenever you want to play online or play offline with mods. One would be your modded game, the other your backup (without mods).

I always keep the episodes (tlad and tbogt) clean for multiplayer and use the basic gta 4 for modding, but I'm guessing you've only got gta4?
Yes. But I figured out what I could try.