Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012   #31
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
I'm sorry, what?
Wasn't IV on PS3 scaled up to 720p while on the 360 it was running in 720p? Don't know about RDR though.
Old 11-10-2012   #32
masteratt
Fiery depths of life

masteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enough
They demo'd on PS3, that usually means they are most proud of that version.
masteratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #33
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
I honestly don't think there'll be a difference. Maybe a slight frame-rate difference in certain areas but that's about it. The only reason I'll be getting it for 360 is because I have a 360. I bought a 360 ages ago because it was cheaper and I was wrapped up in the Halo franchise like a little heroin whore snatching at any fix they could get.

The idea of MP on GTA IV wasn't a dealbreaker for me. I've always played GTA for the single player experience, so the PSN vs XBL argument is irrelevant to me.
Old 11-10-2012   #34
Havok_Jro
I'm The Best At Space

Havok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't find any replayability on IV, I played through the main story once, and then started a couple times and got bored before Bohan, so for me online is the thing that makes the deciding vote.

If it was a single player only game, It'd be PS3 every time.
Havok_Jro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #35
Gui
meh...

Gui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I'm sorry, what?
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head...-redemption/2/

It's a known fact PS3 can't do grass and with all the countryside on GTA V, i don't know... trololololol
Old 11-10-2012   #36
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Ugh, I didn't think this bullshit would spread here.

Yeah, that's the old engine.

Max Payne 3 shown off the new engine, which amazing enough works on the PC and PS3 to! Just compare GTA IV and Max Payne 3 on the PC to get an idea of the changes. GTA IV and RDR (and Midnight Club LA) were using a port build on the PS3 just like the PC got, so yeah, it was rendered in a lower res and has some minor things missing.

But now compare Max Payne 3 on the consoles, both versions run at 720p and the PS3 version isn't really missing anything apart from a row of lights in the football stadium level.The Water Effects thing is an odd one because the PC version uses the same as the PS3, and personally, the Xbox 360 water Effects look a bit too much at times, it's not that the platforms can't handle them, the PS3 has them later on during the mad boat chase, where it looks like it should be, etc.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #37
bennifer3000

bennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm sorry, what?
By any objective metric, RDR looked better on the 360.

Sharper, less aliasing. Improved draw distance.
Better skyboxes, grass.

It's not always drastic but it is noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_735 View Post
Just compare GTA IV and Max Payne 3 on the PC to get an idea of the changes.
You cannot be this dense.
Obviously the PC is going to win every time.

Quote:
Max Payne 3 shown off the new engine, which amazing enough works on the PC and PS3 to! Just compare GTA IV and Max Payne 3 on the PC to get an idea of the changes.
Max Payne 3 does look really good on both systems and the edge goes to the PS3 in this instance.

But:
(1) MP3 was developed by R* Vancouver not R* North.
(2) It's a much smaller, more linear game.

They could have worked out all the issues and finally mastered the boorish cell processor but historically speaking when it comes to Rockstar's open world action games, the 360 versions are superior.

Could that change? Yes. I'm open to that happening.

I don't really give a shit. I like and own both systems. But let's not avoid inconvenient facts.

Last edited by bennifer3000; 11-10-2012 at 06:42 PM..
bennifer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #38
icebreaker202

icebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enoughicebreaker202 will become famous soon enough
Man im sick of this PCVSXBOX360VSPS3 shit. Its almost like political stuff.
Oh and ill be getting this AWESOME GAME on the PS3. Cause the PS3 has the best graphics. Best Remote and best multiplayer.
Blah, blah and blah. lol
icebreaker202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #39
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennifer3000 View Post
You cannot be this dense.
Obviously the PC is going to win every time.
You obviously can not read, I said compare GTA IV and Max Payne 3 on PC, as in, both games on PC, to get an idea of how far RAGE has come forward. Under the same hardware, Max Payne 3 can put out a LOT more details and variables compared to GTA IV and still perform better framerate wise.

A good example is to compare interior loads, look how much stress GTA IV puts on your CPU and GPU and just look at the graphical quality, now switch to Max Payne 3 and compare a similar interior world, the game performs better, but also looks better, the game is pumping out DirectX 11, the game is showing off HDAO Shadows, The game is applying tesselation to textures and ramping up the processed image quality and effects. Graphics wise, it completely destroys GTA IV and is still running on average 3x times better than GTA IV.

Between GTA IV and Max Payne 3, the PC never saw another RAGE game, so Max Payne 3 is the only real benchmark we have on how far RAGE has come and how well it copes with PC hardware now, unlike the GTA IV version which felt very bloated and very port-ish, with Max Payne 3, the engine really gets to shine and I can't see Rockstar ditching that when they do a PC version of GTA V.

And the reason I brought this up is because the PS3 version got the same treatment, pre-Max Payne 3 RAGE wasn't good on the PS3, it was a ported engine from the Xbox 360, where as Max Payne 3 is the first time the PS3 actually got a RAGE programmed for it, it makes use of the SPU's and post process effects, the engine can handle MLAA and can really keep things in check now with very little screen tearing and can still pump out full 720p on the system, something which pre-MP3 RAGE couldn't handle.

YOU must be the dense one if you seriously think the Rockstar Studios don't communicate with each other, do you seriously think Rockstar San Diego (Where the RAGE engine is done) is going to say "Hey, North, do you guys want to use this new updated engine for GTA V?" and them say "Fuck that, we're sticking with the old engine, Xbox 360 ftw! Fuck PC and PS3!"
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #40
BlackSilver65

BlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really nice
Personally I wouldn't use a comparison between an open world game and a linear shooter as the linear shooter has a lot less area to cover in detail allowing more detail in a smaller space. I'm going to wait before I make any decisions about what console to get it on

Edit: for the sake of the op I like the Xbox because of the comfortable controller
BlackSilver65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #41
Showstopper 26

Showstopper 26 is on a distinguished roadShowstopper 26 is on a distinguished roadShowstopper 26 is on a distinguished roadShowstopper 26 is on a distinguished road
I have both systems and enjoy they equally.
Showstopper 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #42
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSilver65 View Post
Personally I wouldn't use a comparison between an open world game and a linear shooter as the linear shooter has a lot less area to cover in detail allowing more detail in a smaller space. I'm going to wait before I make any decisions about what console to get it on

Edit: for the sake of the op I like the Xbox because of the comfortable controller
Well most of what Ash was trying to point out was the engine doing post processing work over existing assets, or so I think. It doesn't matter how detailed the area is assuming you've got clever work on LOD, you could simply scale down asset/texture quality depending on how much performance you need in a area and then apply post processing to pretty up the area/scene. That's how some devs work on getting 60FPS on consoles, drawing back the quality and applying filters and ingenious software tweaks to make sure the consoles can handle it.

RAGE has evolved, it can dish out higher quality with more performance. Now the big killer in GTAIV is draw distance in combination with the amount of vehicle's on screen, and depending on how good the pedestrian models are these will fuck a graphic processor like no tomorrow. I wonder how much detail they can deliver on console before they have to start thinking about keeping a steady framerate.
Old 11-11-2012   #43
bennifer3000

bennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enoughbennifer3000 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I said compare GTA IV and Max Payne 3 on PC, as in, both games on PC, to get an idea of how far RAGE has come forward. Under the same hardware, Max Payne 3 can put out a LOT more details and variables compared to GTA IV and still perform better framerate wise.
I never said RAGE was a problem. RAGE has always been an excellent engine.

But bringing up PC hardware, shaders, whatever is completely irrelevant to how a game performs on console hardware with console toolsets. It's even more irrelevant to which of Rockstar's past games looked better on what console.

Of course they've learned new development tricks since 2004-2008.

GTA V is a new game with a new set of technical challenges. They may have had all prior issues resolved with what they learned on MP3 and they very well may have resolved new problems on both platforms with GTA V. But it is unclear at this point. I think them showing off the PS3 version is a step in the right direction (although you could interpret that differently).

But I don't see how the fact that their older open world games looked inferior on PS3 is irrelevant to the discussion of what system to purchase for.

Furthermore, Max Payne 3 is a far more linear game (with pretty massive load times I might ad). Of course it's going to be more detailed with a better frame-rate, what have you. That's basic opportunity cost and benefit of aforementioned evolution of developmental knowledge.
Old 11-11-2012   #44
element3215
Eat, sleep, Gta!

element3215 is on a distinguished roadelement3215 is on a distinguished roadelement3215 is on a distinguished roadelement3215 is on a distinguished roadelement3215 is on a distinguished road
For gta iv. 360 was clearly better. Rdr looked less muddy on 360. La noire looked better on ps3 since the 360 had no vehicle reflections. Max payne 3 uses euphoria and looked nearly the same. Both versions will be great. Rockstar now knows both consoles extremely well at this point in their life cycles. Since i have a ps3 that's what im getting. I don't really play multi so live being the better service is non issue for me personally.
element3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #45
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
There's really no point in arguing this stuff. The way I see it, minuscule differences between what you get on each console isn't going to affect whether you like or dislike the game.

Remember guys, it's not 2007 anymore, console wars are kind of pointless at this stage of the current generation. I can understand arguing about exclusive content and all that, but not this stuff.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote