Old 10-15-2012   #1
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Dudebro: MSIFUSIGTS/SU2:ISUDT

The full title:

Dudebro™ — My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

I'm not sure how many (if any) of you are familiar with this game, but it's gone through an interesting development phase and is nearing completion. Basically it started off as a post in the Imagine: Babyz Fashion thread on Neogaf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga
So, I'm a pedophile because I don't want to play Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time? To throw around these sort of accusations at someone who seeks to do something different suggests quite the insecurity on your part.
Which then led to some awesome photoshops and mock cover art for this hypothetical game. The joke went on until development of an actual game started, and tons of people from the Neogaf community contributed. As the dev cycle wore on, a lot of people dropped out of the project which slowed things down. It started off as a top-down 3D shooter but was re-envisioned as a 2D sidescroller with a retro art style. Now though, it's actually nearing completion.

The game is basically meant to be a parody of modern action games and touches on a lot of things that people really hate about "Dudebro" style games these days such as limited weapons at once, dumb minigames, etc. It's a pretty serious project that was featured in PC Gamer magazine and the lead character is voiced by Jon St. John - the voice of Duke Nukem.

http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #2
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Ah yes, the "Brolar Bear" lol. He's one of the boss characters.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Old 10-16-2012   #3
Bonecrusher
Addicted Member

Bonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond repute
This looks really lame, in my opinion.

The whole "mocking-over-the-top" game-genre is getting pretty boring as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
After releasing my mix tape here, people are loving it. Like, loving it. I mean to the point that I'm gone to clubs to perform, all black clubs and they give a standing ovation, getting dab from everyone, and on my sort of"party-and-get-fucked-up" records, the whole club is dancing.
Bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #4
Piggus
Wicked Member

It's not mocking over-the-top games. It's paying tribute to older styles of gameplay (which were actually pretty over the top) and making fun of game elements that today have "dumbed down" games so to speak. Stuff like regenerating health, only two weapons at one time, dumb mini-games, etc. So really it's trying to make a statement about where gaming has gone.

Also it's made by like 5 dudes on their spare time so I can't be too hard on it considering they got Jon St. John to do the voice work and considering how it all got started.

EDIT: and it's free

Old 10-17-2012   #5
Japisee
Addicted Member

Japisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond repute
oh look an indie action platformer with retro graphics

in other news, the sun came up
Japisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #6
Piggus
Wicked Member

oh look GTAG is cynical

Sheesh, you guys. >_<

Anyway, I appreciate these small indie projects, especially when they're free and simply there because a few people were willing to spend their free time making something cool.

Old 10-17-2012   #7
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty damn good effort for a forum. how many people exactly?
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #8
Piggus
Wicked Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legham View Post
Pretty damn good effort for a forum. how many people exactly?
Two or three main guys doing most of the coding, art etc + smaller art and idea contributions from other members. The team started out pretty big and they were developing it in Unity but so many people left that they had to take it in a different direction. It looked way too generic in Unity anyway. For voice acting they had "auditions" on the forum for characters other than John Dudebro.

Old 10-17-2012   #9
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggus
It looked way too generic in Unity anyway
o_O

You know unity doesn't supply the art right? You can do any art style in unity. that was the developer's problem.
Old 10-17-2012   #10
Piggus
Wicked Member

Yes, I know. What I meant was the way they used Unity made the game look generic.

Old 10-17-2012   #11
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Yeah. The preview right at the start of the video looks like pretty standard unity sample scene material. But the 2D pixel art side scroller game could be made in Unity too.
Old 10-19-2012   #12
Bonecrusher
Addicted Member

Bonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond reputeBonecrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggus View Post
oh look GTAG is cynical

Sheesh, you guys. >_<

Anyway, I appreciate these small indie projects, especially when they're free and simply there because a few people were willing to spend their free time making something cool.
>not liking the game
>being cynical
shiggy diggy

alright it's cool that they're devoting their time to do something like this and offering it for free, but doesn't change the fact that I think it looks like shit/boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
After releasing my mix tape here, people are loving it. Like, loving it. I mean to the point that I'm gone to clubs to perform, all black clubs and they give a standing ovation, getting dab from everyone, and on my sort of"party-and-get-fucked-up" records, the whole club is dancing.
Bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012   #13
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
I can't get behind this either, the 'humour' bothers me more than anything else though
ska is offline   Reply With Quote