Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012   #1
daniel1206

daniel1206 is on a distinguished roaddaniel1206 is on a distinguished roaddaniel1206 is on a distinguished roaddaniel1206 is on a distinguished road
Game crashes when modded

Hey!

Im really excited about all the cool car mods that are available. But when im installing one of the car mods, and I am driving the car in-game, the game keeps on crashing! Im using the ICEnhancer 2.1 mod and im using the GTA IV Vehicle mod installer to install the car mods. Im playing the game with the 1.0.4.0 patch. This problem appears no matter what car i install but it only crashes when im driving the modded cars.

What is the problem!?

Kind regards

Daniel
daniel1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Make sure you follow the author's instructions on how to edit files like handling.dat, carcols.dat and some other files.

If that doesn't help try installing some other cars to see if the issue is the same with those
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #3
daniel1206

daniel1206 is on a distinguished roaddaniel1206 is on a distinguished roaddaniel1206 is on a distinguished roaddaniel1206 is on a distinguished road
Hi

Is it necessary to edit handling.dat, carcols.dat etc. when im using GTA IV Vehicle mod installer. Also i have tried to mod 10+ cars and they all make my game crash. Im really hoping that someone is able to help me, because the modding was one of the main reason that i bought this game.

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08-04-2012   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Try it with one vehicle and see if it works

If not, tell me.. how are you installing these vehicles (step by step)
Old 08-05-2012   #5
daniel1206

Hi again!

Okay, i just installed one car (The Dodge Viper GTS to the Banshee). I drove the car for 5 minutes and this error pops up. "GTA IV FATAL ERROR: Unrecoverable fault - Please restart the game" The way that i install the vehicles is:

I use this installer: http://www.gta4-mods.com/tools/gta-i...ler-v12-f11235

1) I find a car i like and downloads it
2) I putting the downloaded car into the installer and press next. (I've got these boxes checked: Original sound, Your vehicle name / Vehicle install from archive / Rebuild "vehicles.img" at exit.
3)Then i press next
4) And next again
5) And next again
6) And it says that the vehicle has been installed successfully.

So i cant really see what the problem could be? Please help me!

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08-05-2012   #6
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

Okay try this then

- Place back your backup (to remove the vehicles you've installed)
- Open up SparkIV (download it if you haven't got it)
- Hit browse
- Navigate to pc/models/cdimages and open up vehicles.img
- Hit the big import button
- Select the files that came with the car (probably a .wft and a .wdd or something like that)
- Hit 'Save'
- Exit SparkIV

Now try the vehicle ingame to see if it works, if it does keep installing vehicles this way. If not, then make sure you don't have any other mods that are causing this error.
Old 08-05-2012   #7
daniel1206

Hi!

The game still comes up with the same error. What could i do to fix it?
Should i really reinstall the whole game?

Kind regards

Daniel

Last edited by daniel1206; 08-05-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Old 08-05-2012   #8
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

Well did you backup your game before installing those mods? Because to uninstall them you'll need a backup file yes

If you don't then I advice reinstalling and after patching copy your entire gta 4 map to a backup location. This way you can always uninstall mods that are not functioning
Old 08-05-2012   #9
daniel1206

Hey!

I didnt take a backup of the whole game, just the the vehicles.img so i reinstall the game. Can i still install ICEnhancer 2.1 and the 1.0.4.0 patch?

Do you recommend SparkIV or GTA IV Vehicle mod installer to do the car mod installing.
And do you know where the savefile is located?

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08-05-2012   #10
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

Yes you can install icenhancer but I recommend a backup of entire gta (or atleast the files you're going to replace) so that you can uninstall the mod

I recommend SparkIV (never used vehicle-installer). To avoid issues this time, instal mods one by one and test them ingame before installing the next. That way you'll know which mod causes a problem
Old 08-05-2012   #11
daniel1206

Hi!

Thank you for your help. I can play the game with ICEnhancer without no problems but as soon i installs the car it comes with the error. I will try to reinstall the game and see what happens.

Did you know where the savefiles is stored?

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08-05-2012   #12
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

Appdata/Local/Rockstar Games/Gta IV/savegames

For windows 7 that is
Old 08-05-2012   #13
daniel1206

Thank you so much!

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08-05-2012   #14
Killerfist
Arms Dealer

No problem, let me know if there is anything else
Old 08-06-2012   #15
daniel1206

Hey!

Now i have reintalled the game and i have taken a backup of it before i began modding. So i installed the iCEnhancer 2.1, GTA IV patch 1.0.4.0, XLiveLess and a fonts mod, and i played the game. Everyting was running great and no errors where popping up. But then i installed one car mod with the SpakIV and the same error apeared again!

I dont understand it! Do you have any ideas what i could do to make this error disappear?

Kind regards

Daniel