Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012   #16
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist666 View Post
I really hope so, that's something I've always wanted in a Gta game. But as long as they keep the free-roam multiplayer I'm satisfied.

You couldn't switch characters in LA noire though, in RDR you'd only switch characters and the end when all the missions were over, and I really didn't like the guy you switched into

But we'll see
You changed characters in LA Noire. You play a majority of the game as Cole Phelps, then towards the end you play as Jack Kelso. Also much like RDR, the original main character dies at the end of the story. I'd rather they not do that in GTA. Don't let me get attached to a character then kill him off and make me play as a stupid character. Although by the time you jump into Kelso's character I actually preferred Kelso over Phelps.

So what I'm saying is yes to multiple characters but not the way it was done in those other games.
Old 07-01-2012   #17
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillb View Post
You changed characters in LA Noire. You play a majority of the game as Cole Phelps, then towards the end you play as Jack Kelso. Also much like RDR, the original main character dies at the end of the story. I'd rather they not do that in GTA. Don't let me get attached to a character then kill him off and make me play as a stupid character. Although by the time you jump into Kelso's character I actually preferred Kelso over Phelps.

So what I'm saying is yes to multiple characters but not the way it was done in those other games.
Oh shit that's right
Totally forgot about playing as Kelso, the whole adultry thing ofcourse.. that kinda made me hate Phelps too. That's what anoyed me about RDR , exactly what you said. I hated not being able to become John again without having to restart the entire game. I did like that you could play through the epilogue, I was expecting the story to end as soon as he returned home. Such a thing would be cool in gta 5 too because an ending where you kill the oh so evil villian is nice and all but something like RDR would be nice for a change. Except killing off the main character ofcourse

Look at us, responsibly using Spoilers
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #18
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Oh shit that's right
Totally forgot about playing as Kelso, the whole adultry thing ofcourse.. that kinda made me hate Phelps too. That's what anoyed me about RDR , exactly what you said. I hated not being able to become John again without having to restart the entire game. I did like that you could play through the epilogue, I was expecting the story to end as soon as he returned home. Such a thing would be cool in gta 5 too because an ending where you kill the oh so evil villian is nice and all but something like RDR would be nice for a change. Except killing off the main character ofcourse

Look at us, responsibly using Spoilers
Spoiler tags being used properly. Classy.

I agree, after the switch i kinda started to dislike Cole, due to the whole adultery thing and as the story unwound. I never got round to finishing RDR so i never knew you switched characters in that but John seemed like a pretty cool guy, shame they killed him off too. I certainly hope they don't go down that route with V, I prefer to like the guy I'm playing as obviously (as much as you can like a murderous criminal), so to find out he's not who i thought he was, as when playing a game you kind of like to put yourself in the game as the character, so to suddenly do something you wouldn't want to do and wouldn't expect to do, is kind of annoying, and then to die is even worse.

I thought about how it could be done in V before, in a way where you could decide at the end which characters live and die, perhaps if you played through as one person, and at the end there was a stand off with a gang or something, when suddenly the deal or whatever is going down, is ambushed by some other group of guys who have been mentioned and whatnot but never really been part of your side of the story, then we get a 3 WEEKS EARLIER type thing, and we play through another story which all leads up to the point of ambushing this deal that's going down, and then you either kill the guy you played as before, or kill the guy he was dealing with (ultimately leading to the death of this second playable character by the hands of the first, therefore choosing who you finish with (if that makes sense?)

obviously that's just a basic idea of how it could be implemented, and as it stands would probably make a pretty crappy story, but as a basic premise, it might be a way to do it.
Old 07-02-2012   #19
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post

I thought about how it could be done in V before, in a way where you could decide at the end which characters live and die, perhaps if you played through as one person, and at the end there was a stand off with a gang or something, when suddenly the deal or whatever is going down, is ambushed by some other group of guys who have been mentioned and whatnot but never really been part of your side of the story, then we get a 3 WEEKS EARLIER type thing, and we play through another story which all leads up to the point of ambushing this deal that's going down, and then you either kill the guy you played as before, or kill the guy he was dealing with (ultimately leading to the death of this second playable character by the hands of the first, therefore choosing who you finish with (if that makes sense?)

obviously that's just a basic idea of how it could be implemented, and as it stands would probably make a pretty crappy story, but as a basic premise, it might be a way to do it.
I'm all for choice, and lot's of it, It's what makes a game worth replaying. But not just black/white choices, but choices that influence your friendships with characters in the game for example.
Old 07-02-2012   #20
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I'm all for choice, and lot's of it, It's what makes a game worth replaying. But not just black/white choices, but choices that influence your friendships with characters in the game for example.
like I said as a story that would be pretty crap, it was just an idea suggesting that your choices would ultimately lead to the character that is left at the end.
Old 07-02-2012   #21
BlackSilver65

BlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really nice
That would be kind of neat, piss off the wrong guys as a certain character and he might wound up being killed in or near the final mission or something along those lines.
BlackSilver65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #22
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Exactly

Would be cool if these events were non-cinematic, that you'd be playing a mission or just casually driving around when all of a sudden a gang of mobsters start attacking you.
Old 07-02-2012   #23
FugetSudoJr

FugetSudoJr is on a distinguished roadFugetSudoJr is on a distinguished road
I've been told this is too much like saint's row ( which is a big no-no here ) ... but i'd like to be able to create my own criminal (male or female) in GTAV. SanAndreas gave us so much customization options, that i hoping R* expands on this and goes all-out RPG! I know it may sound stupid, but I thought it would be could cool if the story would wrap itself around your character and change directions as time goes on... depending on the decisions you make along the way. Kind of like the Fallout games but in the crazy world of GTA!
FugetSudoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #24
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FugetSudoJr View Post
I've been told this is too much like saint's row ( which is a big no-no here ) ... but i'd like to be able to create my own criminal (male or female) in GTAV. SanAndreas gave us so much customization options, that i hoping R* expands on this and goes all-out RPG! I know it may sound stupid, but I thought it would be could cool if the story would wrap itself around your character and change directions as time goes on... depending on the decisions you make along the way. Kind of like the Fallout games but in the crazy world of GTA!
but creating your own character restricts the story line, you don't create your own character when you watch a film for the very same reason.

If you want an RPG with fully customisable characters then GTA is not the game for you my friend, maybe Skyrim would be more suited to your gaming needs.
Old 07-02-2012   #25
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Yeah I discussed this earlier with some guys, customisation is good but creating your own character isn't. I'd rather have rockstar spend time in creating a storyline and character. Saints row proved that you can make a storyline around self-made characters but like Lukey said it restricts the story.

Not to much customization though
Old 07-03-2012   #26
stanko

stanko will become famous soon enoughstanko will become famous soon enoughstanko will become famous soon enoughstanko will become famous soon enoughstanko will become famous soon enoughstanko will become famous soon enoughstanko will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FugetSudoJr View Post
Don't expect GTA V to be an RPG with full character creation, because it would obviously restrict storyline. But, on the other hand, skills and plenty of customization (character, vehicles etc.) can provide much deeper and diverse gameplay experience. It worked very well in San Andreas. Furthermore, there are few story branches in GTA IV (to kill Dwayne or Playboy X, Deal ending or Revenge ending), which are also traditionally connected to role-playing games.
GTA V obviously won't be an RPG, but it will hopefully contain some of these elements, or even all of them. In this case - the more, the better.
stanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #27
killahmatic
Wildlife Photographer

killahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enough
I'll never understand the reason why people want multiple protagonists. I'd, by far, prefer just one, so i can see the character develop. I dont want to start the storyline with one, and then all of a sudden forced to use another for the rest of the game. I just want Rockstar to produce one hell of a character, and see how it plays out through the end of the game.
Old 07-17-2012   #28
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahmatic View Post
I'll never understand the reason why people want multiple protagonists. I'd, by far, prefer just one, so i can see the character develop. I dont want to start the storyline with one, and then all of a sudden forced to use another for the rest of the game. I just want Rockstar to produce one hell of a character, and see how it plays out through the end of the game.
As I explained in the OP, you don't need a lot of time to see a character develop. In GTA IV, Niko had a considerable amount of character development across his 92 missions. At the same time, so did John Marston of Red Dead - except over only 52 missions. I'd much rather see a character develop over 10 hours, than see the same amount spread thinly across a 20 hour story.

I'll admit, the switch of characters may be jarring at first but I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if it was done right. As I explained, the first story would need a beginning, a middle and an end; if this is successful then Character 1's story should feel completed, and the player wouldn't feel as bad about the switch to Character 2. Obviously, that depends on the strength of both characters -- the second protagonist should be someone the player wants to play as just as much as the first.

Do you understand why people may want it now?
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #29
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
Boom! Expanding the theory with the new screenshots.

Only one question left: who are these men?
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #30
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

victim, there's plenty more questions.

Are they going to be part of the same story? Is it going to be two separate stories that are running at the same time, or one continuing after the other? will we switch back and forth or will it just be one switch? How would these two meet and provide a smooth transition from one to the other while being different enough from each other as to make the switch worth while?