Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012   #1
Stu

Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough
Do you think there'll be "Design and Technology Series" type things?

Max Payne 3's promotional campaign has included a series of videos detailing how game mechanics work and were made, giving more actual gameplay footage, and LA Noire and Read Dead Redemption had similar things themselves. So do you think it's likely GTA V will follow suit? It'd make a nice change from the torturous way they usually promote the games with trailers only and no gameplay footage released beforehand.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #2
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully, that voice makes me want to buy everything. Rockstar hardly need to do it though seeing as how GTA practically sells itself and most people know what they're getting already.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #3
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
I wouldn't expect them in my opinion. Historically R* doesn't seem to really market GTA literally as a "game", but more as an experience. Given that I think we can expect a range of videos relating to the characters, places and other things within the game as done most notably with GTA IV and other predecessors.
Old 04-02-2012   #4
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman View Post
I wouldn't expect them in my opinion. Historically R* doesn't seem to really market GTA literally as a "game", but more as an experience. Given that I think we can expect a range of videos relating to the characters, places and other things within the game as done most notably with GTA IV and other predecessors.
I couldn't disagree more. You can't really use their history as an example, because I believe they started doing this with Red Dead. Anyways, you need "design and technology" to create a better experience, which is why Rockstar goes in depth with those awesome videos. The guys at Rockstar are innovators and they've found a great way to give us a deeper look into their games, and sell to us at the same time.

Even some of their quotes sound like they are setting us up for those design and tech videos...

"the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created" and "A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer".

There will definitely be some videos to show and tell us exactly what they mean.
Bigbeats23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #5
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
"the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created" and "A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer".

It's just advertising.
Old 04-02-2012   #6
Russ
Dats da fact jack!
Amateur Member

Russ is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of lightRuss is a glorious beacon of light
Five months since the trailer and still nothing. Yeah there was the bit about online and whatnot, but that had more to do with Max Payne. Come on Rockstar, I know you guys can give us just a little taste.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #7
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post

It's just advertising.
If it wasn't Rockstar...maybe. For example, they wouldn't say "largest and most ambitious" unless it actually is. They always go bigger and innovate in different ways. I'm just saying they'll show us exactly what they're talking about in future videos.

And remember, unlike most developers, Rockstar doesn't go to big conventions and/or talk too much about their games. They stay in the basement until they actually have something special to show us. So yes of course it's advertising, but it's never "just advertising".
Old 04-03-2012   #8
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Slim Trashman, it'll probably be the same as with IV, the trailer will focus on the city, the story, and the characters.

Then comes the fun of trying to pick out all the little details ourselves.

Grand Theft Auto is not something they need to advertise by showing what technical things they've done, they want to advertise it as an immersive story.
Old 04-03-2012   #9
Bigbeats23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post
I agree with Slim Trashman, it'll probably be the same as with IV, the trailer will focus on the city, the story, and the characters.

Then comes the fun of trying to pick out all the little details ourselves.

Grand Theft Auto is not something they need to advertise by showing what technical things they've done, they want to advertise it as an immersive story.
I get what you guys are saying, and hopefully we'll see soon enough. Any video/trailer is advertising anyways. They've found a style that's worked well for the last three games they put out and are about to put out. They don't really give anything away, but they're able to tell us what cool things they've done, and the cool things we'll be able to do in the game. It would just be a little weird to ditch something that's working, especially when there's so much good feedback about those design and tech videos.

I feel like Red Dead is the best example, because it's basically just a western GTA. They started off with a couple cinematic trailers, but then the rest of the videos were all about telling us the details of the environment, physics, weapons, characters etc. I don't think those are the type of details Rockstar hopes for us to figure out for ourselves, because if that was the case, the design and tech videos would never exist in the first place.

And it's not about a "need" to advertise their game. They just want to advertise the amount of quality work they put into their titles. Anyways, it's just my opinion, but who knows what they'll do for their most popular title, especially since they didn't start that new style of trailer until after the last GTA.

Last edited by Bigbeats23; 04-03-2012 at 08:51 PM..
Old 04-06-2012   #10
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
All I'm saying, and I should have said it in my original post, is that those two quotes can not automatically mean they will do some design and technology videos. In all honesty I doubt they'll be needed as GTA V will probably run on a similar engine to Max Payne 3 and RDR, so they've pretty much already covered it.