Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008   #1
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Update/Patch Wishlist

With GTA IV being the first console version of GTA that is able to receive updates and patches via online services, I see no reason why we couldn't make up a list of technical issues that need resolving or perhaps even small improvements made to better the game (nothing silly like "100 MORE INTERIORS TO EXPLORE!"). Nothing should constitute actually making additions or drastic changes to the game. So if you come across any issues you think could/should be resolved, post them here and I'll constantly keep an updated list in this first post.

If the list becomes rather excessive, I may categorize suggestions for better organization.

The List ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Standing/Crouching on Moving Boats: Physically, it is wrong to not be able to stand on a boat in motion. In the game, (especially looking at this in multiplayer) the player will slide backwards as the boat accelerates forward, result being one wet player. While on the "Tug" and "Reefer", I have even experienced walking/sliding through the rear walls of the bridge areas after de-piloting the boat while in motion.
  • Standing/Crouching in Areas of Specific Cars: Though generally speaking, yes this is unrealistic, standing on the hood or roof of a car and falling off while the car is in motion, but this should not apply for crouching in the beds on certain trucks.

• Texture/Model Pop-Ins: No specific circumstances.

• Inconsistent Frame Rate: Even with little action on screen (consider little action a few vehicles blowing up), frame rate is unstable, especially when many particles are present. Frame rate is more specifically an issue with the PlayStation 3 version of the game (at least to my knowledge), and though the game is huge, the technology is far too good for the game's average performance.

• Make Use of Unused Police Stations/Hospitals: I've noticed there are extra hospitals (possibly police stations, but I myself am not sure), that are not made use of in the game. I purposely had the player killed in front of one in I believe Castle Garden City in Algonquin and I spawned at the one off Albany Ave. in either Easton or Lancet. This doesn't seem to make sense and though the player is totally in control, sort of limits you from exploring different areas of the city. When you spawn at the same hospital over and over again, it gets old and boring, you go the same ways, see the same scenery, etc.

• Motorcycle Reverse Pose: The player's pose while reversing on a motorcycle is the same as that of a car, so it appears that the player's arm is resting on an invisible passenger seat of a car.

• Revamped Multiplayer Menu & Setup + Glitches: Though great for other things, the cell phone is not quite the best activating and entering a multiplayer game. The transition from single player to multiplayer is simply too much and can take awhile to load. These loading times can become especially annoying if you happen to find yourself entering a game that no longer exists and being forced right back into single player, where the process starts over. Why not be redirected to a multiplayer menu implemented on the game's pause menu, so you don't have to go through all the trouble of reloading another multiplayer game just to have the same thing happen again. Failure to even load games at all have occurred and resulted in the same redirection to single player. Autosaving single player right before entering a multiplayer game would be nice too, so you don't have to return to your safehouse to save any single player progress.

Players have been known to leave the game in the middle of a match before. Typically due to poor playing, anyone who does leave before the match has ended could be "fined" a given amount of money, of course only for ranked matches.

Another uncontrollable problem is team balances, you could enter the lobby with say 4 teams of 4 people, but once those 10 seconds start counting down, you'll see 12 people all jump to one team, resulting in an unbalanced game. Ranked matches could be automatically team balanced based on level and skill, or if not even by statistics, just randomly balanced, say by the last 5 seconds of the countdown until the game begins.

Multiplayer matches can experience a significant amount of lag due to international players. An option to find games and play with players only within your region could provide for a better experience with less lag.

In certain game types, the play area lacks on nearby, parked vehicles, requiring players to run halfway across the play area to pick one up. No one likes to run around too long to find a car.

• Floating Blood: On occasion, blood from hit and run victims becomes "stuck" to the air, rather than splattered onto the vehicle.

• Hovering Pedestrians: In the water, deceased pedestrians and especially with LCPD officers lost in the line of duty, do not seem to flow with the wake of the water, but rather float at the point the water was at when they fell in, so with heavy wake, there are points where their backs float at the water level, and points where their whole body floats above the water level. Fallen officers from helicopters is a good way to take notice of this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, this is not a list to point GTA IV's bad points, but to note realistic improvements that can very possibly be made and distributed to enhance the game's performance for a more enjoyable experience.

Also, if you have anything specific you'd like to add to a "description" of a listed item, please say so each issue can be come clearer to understand; a picture or video would be great too!
Old 06-01-2008   #2
Yam Trigger
Urban Pleb

Yam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to behold
I would like for the police AI to be defined slightly so that the LCPD seem a little more human and not able to sense your location once they've lost sight of you.

I would also like motorcycle physics to be adjusted so that they are easier to control and make a better escape vehicle.
Yam Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #3
Fry
Your Mother

Fry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to behold
Adjusting AI and physics really isn't on the cards, But i'd like to see them fix the multiplayer aspect.

Such as...
- You shoukdn't be able to leave a game halfway through without some form of punishment, I think losing $200 for leaving a game is a good punishment.
- Games should not start untillall teams are even, Because ALOT of people wait untill the game is about to start and then they switch to the other team which makes the game unbalenced. I have been in games that are 9 on 3 because 3 people went to the other team right as it started.
- I'd like to see the option to be able to play people from your region only, Because the lag i get on some US hosted games is horrible.
- Fix the bloody "lost connection to one or more players" and "game no longer exists" problems.
- Make it so the Getaway vehicle in Cops and Crooks respawns in a different location if it has been crashed or blown up, Also make it so your team mate cant get in th getaway vehicle unless the boss is in it too. Because some people like to grab the getaway vehicle and keep it away from their own boss just to be dicks.

I'll probably think of more later......
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #4
Johnny-Z

Johnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to behold
-Fix up any problems with AI characters not doing what there supposed to do.
-For multiplayer, when you start to play the game you are put into the city (or area) imeadiatly and people join you instead of the host having to activate the game.
-Fix up rare issue with disappearing peds as in one veiw they are solid objects and another they are invisible.
-Fix up small bug with blood and vehicles as in when you run over a pedestrian, blood will appear to hover above the spot on the car instead of acturaly being on the car.
-Fix up problem when quiting multiplayer to single player and game crashing.
-Fix up issues with getting some acheivements on Xbox live.

I took these from the Bugs and glitches list.
Old 06-02-2008   #5
Fry
Your Mother

Fry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to beholdFry is a splendid one to behold
Actually your post just reminded me Jonny Zoo, Rockstar really need to impliment some kind of multiplayer menu. Because it sucks when you get booted back to single player and have to wait while it loads before you can even attempt to search for another game. It takes way too long and the fact that MP isn't functioning properly at the moment means it happens alot.
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #6
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
It only a small thing but I'd like them to fix the Licence plates on the cars so they don't all say "LIBERTY CITY" because we know it's meant to be Dynamic like San Andreas just seems weird that they never finished that.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #7
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes, it doesn't connect to an online game, and freezes on the loading screen. That needs fixing please. Also sometimes I lose connections to one or more players. I imagine that it's the high ping problems, but instead of going back to single game, I'd like to be redirected to the multi-player menu and just choose another game.
Other than that, I haven't really had problems at all.

and yeah, I'd like to ride on top of cars please

grimmy is a gay icon
oppar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #8
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Well it depends on the car But I don't think anyone could disagree that crouching in the back of a pickup would be amazingly fun in multiplayer.
Old 06-02-2008   #9
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman View Post
Well it depends on the car But I don't think anyone could disagree that crouching in the back of a pickup would be amazingly fun in multiplayer.
In GTA III, my little minigame was to grab a M16, hop onto the back of a flatbed, crouch down, fire a shot at the driver and see how long you can stay on for.
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #10
Doric

Doric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
In GTA III, my little minigame was to grab a M16, hop onto the back of a flatbed, crouch down, fire a shot at the driver and see how long you can stay on for.
HAHAHA! i used to do the same

Back on topic though, here what i think needs addressing:

--Make Online more stable

--In co-op game modes, money goes directly to the killer, not the looter (I did 22 kills with $68, someone did 8 kills and got $1200, thats not fair imo)
Doric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #11
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
is adding the ability to pick the colour in the pay n spray acceptable for this topic? surely it cant be much to be implemented in a patch.

also, when you hit a car with a bat or something, it shouldent be so hard to damage the car, and when you finally manage all you do is smash a window.
Lukeyy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #12
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
Crouching in GTA III eh?

@Doric: What co-op mode was that? I definitely remember getting the $100 instantly with kills in Bomb da base II & Deal breaker.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #13
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post
is adding the ability to pick the colour in the pay n spray acceptable for this topic? surely it cant be much to be implemented in a patch.

also, when you hit a car with a bat or something, it shouldent be so hard to damage the car, and when you finally manage all you do is smash a window.
Well a "patch" is used to fix problems in a game, not make additions, so an update, yeah I guess could be acceptable.

However, I'm going to leave it out of the list, because that is more like saying "Mod shops!" and seems like it could not be done simply by a change of code.
Old 06-04-2008   #14
Doric

Doric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished roadDoric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_86 View Post
@Doric: What co-op mode was that? I definitely remember getting the $100 instantly with kills in Bomb da base II & Deal breaker.
Hangman's NOOSE
Doric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #15
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
where you have crouching on certain cars, how about if you jump onto the side or the rear of a lorry, ambulance, van or something and hang there, i dont think you should just fall off when it stars moving, surely it is realistic to hang on up to a certain speed...

also secondly... glitchy ladders, they dont always let you climb them*, or it takes Niko about 10 presses of Triangle (or whatever it is on XBox) to finnaly grab the ladder

*there is one structure somewhere where there is a verry small ladder leading up to a platform where the main ladder is (like a crane) and i can climb up the lower ladder, but it seems impossible to climb up the main ladder without ending up going back down the small ladder about 20 times before you finnaly get the exact angle (and in multiplayer i couldent get him on it at all he kept shuffling/dancing his way round the structure before ending up going back down the small one)

Last edited by Lukeyy19; 06-04-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Lukeyy19 is offline   Reply With Quote