Old 03-06-2012   #1
andrewm93

andrewm93 is on a distinguished roadandrewm93 is on a distinguished roadandrewm93 is on a distinguished road
Installing Cars

Hi,

I've downloaded a few cars and am having a little bitof trouble. I have no idea how to install them, the README files are hard to understand.. (some request I download another program in order for the mod to work?)

Is there a standard way in which all mods are installed? (eg, extract files to certain folder, copy sounds into sounds folder, copy efffects into effects folder)

Please help, as I have no idea how to do this!
andrewm93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #2
shmimbadad

shmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished road
If you've never done any mods before, there are a few things you'll need to do before you can mod anything. You should be using patch version 1.0.4.0, as that's what most of the mods are made for. Then, unless you just want to replace the cars in the game, and still have to go and find them yourself, and use the paynspray to change colors and what not, you'll need a trainer program, which gives you an in-game menu where you can spawn cars and change the colors (among many many other things). For that, you'll need,

a file check fix: http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/gta-...ix-v1040-f2432

an asi loader: http://www.gta4-mods.com/tools/gta-i...r-v1020b-f1976

and a trainer (there are a bunch of them, this is the one I use): http://www.gta4-mods.com/tools/simpl...-laptops-f8680

I use that trainer, mostly because my laptop doesn't have a numpad, and most of the trainer controls work off the numpad. This one is made for laptops without the numpad, and moves the controls to U,I,O,J,K,L instead. If you have a full numpad, you'll probably want a different one. I would imagine that would control better.

Then, for actually replacing your cars, you'll need SparkIV: http://www.gta4-mods.com/tools/spark...0---1060-f4774

You'll have to use sparkiv to open the disc image files in your gtaiv program folder, and replace the cars' wft and wtd files with the ones that came with your new car download. Then, the car you downloaded should have a section in the readme that is a handling.dat line. Should look like just a bunch of numbers. You'll then have to copy/paste that line over the original one for the car you are replacing, in the handling.dat file in your gta4 program folder.

All in all, it is a bit of a hassle getting all this stuff set up. I was a bit overwhelmed when I first looked at getting into modding GTA4, but it's not too bad, once you get the hang of it. Just a bit tedious sometimes.
shmimbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #3
andrewm93

andrewm93 is on a distinguished roadandrewm93 is on a distinguished roadandrewm93 is on a distinguished road
Thankyou! It is a little overwhelming I'll agree, thankyou for your help
andrewm93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #4
shmimbadad

shmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished road
Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't seem that there any nice easy way to install mods, like with some other games. I think that has to do with Rockstar not being officially "down" with the whole modding thing, and using a lot of security against it.
shmimbadad is offline   Reply With Quote