Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012   #1
Agent99

Agent99 is on a distinguished roadAgent99 is on a distinguished roadAgent99 is on a distinguished road
Please help me. I'm soo lost...

I bought GTA4 and have the disks and everything.

I used to play this on my pc a while back. Like a year ago. I modded the handling.dat and had fun and lol'd all the time. Then I must have gotten bored and deleted it.

But wait, now I'm interested again. Bought a new 1gb vid card. Reinstalled game.

Used my trusty old handling editor and started the game. But the mother fuc*er wouldnt start.

Then I read how it wont start with modded files. Well crap.

I'm stuck. I reinstalled and can play a stock game fine. But how do I edit handling and play? I understand I have to make it "moddable" but how the hell do I do that??

PLZ help.
THX
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #2
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
What version of the game are you playing?
TheFourthHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #3
Agent99

Agent99 is on a distinguished roadAgent99 is on a distinguished roadAgent99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFourthHorse View Post
What version of the game are you playing?

Thank you. I have no idea. I think I saw 1.00 somewhere. Where do I look?
Old 02-29-2012   #4
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
Doesn't matter really... just update to the latest patch.
Old 02-29-2012   #5
Agent99

Quote:
Doesn't matter really... just update to the latest patch.

OK. Also I hear I'm supposed to find something called filelist.pak and its not there. Not sure if that has to do with it.

edit: I'm on rockstars site and not sure where to find the newest patch...

edit2: ok, found the patch
Old 02-29-2012   #6
TheFourthHorse

Rockstar made allot of changes over the various patches that altered the games "modability" and many tutorials (even on this site) are often out of date with the latest patch. Update then see where you stand...

Just in case
Old 02-29-2012   #7
Agent99

Quote:
Rockstar made allot of changes over the various patches that altered the games "modability" and many tutorials (even on this site) are often out of date with the latest patch. Update then see where you stand...

ok. Its downloading and updating. Hang with
Old 02-29-2012   #8
TheFourthHorse

It's a biggin so I might have to take off before it finishes

I have a txt file titled "files" in the Grand Theft Auto IV directory so that maybe what you're looking for.
Old 02-29-2012   #9
Agent99

Quote:

ok so it will be up to date. Any idea of how to enable modding with the newest version?

edit: ok up to date..
Old 02-29-2012   #10
TheFourthHorse

With the latest patch you no longer have to enabled modding. All you generally need is Spark or OpenIV (which I personally use)

I wish I had your internet speed >8(
Old 02-29-2012   #11
Agent99

Quote:

I have a txt file titled "files" in the Grand Theft Auto IV directory so that maybe what you're looking for.
Under which folder?

Quote:
With the latest patch you no longer have to enabled modding. All you generally need is Spark or OpenIV (which I personally use)

I wish I had your internet speed >

What does spark do and can you provide a link?

Last edited by Agent99; 02-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 02-29-2012   #12
TheFourthHorse

Program Files> Rockstar Games> Grand Theft Auto 4

OpenIV basically lets you crack up the files and edit or replace anything you want such as car models and textures. Usualy a must have for modding...
Old 02-29-2012   #13
Agent99

Quote:

I dont seem to have it.
Old 02-29-2012   #14
TheFourthHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
I dont seem to have it.
Hmm maybe this is from one of my mods or OpenIV or something

May I see this tutorial or whatever it is asking you for this? It may be out of date or something...
Old 02-29-2012   #15
Agent99

Quote:

OpenIV basically lets you crack up the files and edit or replace anything you want such as car models and textures. Usualy a must have for modding...

Now that I'm up to date, the game looks much more familiar like it did a yr ago. I dl'd your link and I'll try it out.

http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/installation-help

You sure that link you provided is right? This software looks like something a corperation made..

nevermind, you're right

It says read only mode? and where do I edit car stuff?

Last edited by Agent99; 02-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post