Old 02-27-2012   #1
shmimbadad

shmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished road
Dat file editing?

So I'm trying to install some custom cars. I get the idea replacing the wtd and wft files using sparkiv (or adding them new using openiv), but I'm lost on the editing of the handling files. First, i can't seem to get sparkiv or openiv to let me edit them. I used sparkiv to export the handling.dat file to my desktop so I could edit it with notepad and then put it back. Is that how you're supposed to do that? And if so, how do I go about adding the new lines? Should I just copy them from the readme files that come with the downloads, and paste them right over top of what they're replacing? I tried that just to see what it looked like, and the new lines didn't really line up the way the original ones did, so I backed out without saving. I feel like I'm in a little over my head. What the best way to do this?
shmimbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #2
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
You don't need to export the DAT file, you can just go to the directory it's in (C:/Program Files/Rockstar Games/Grand Theft Auto IV/... etc) and edit it in Notepad straight from the folder.
Old 02-27-2012   #3
shmimbadad

shmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished road
Ah. so you can. mmk, so now, how should I replace the info for the car mods? it seems that there are more lines in the original file than there is in the readme files for the new cars. What am I replacing?
Old 02-27-2012   #4
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
Can you link to the mod that you're trying install?
Old 02-27-2012   #5
shmimbadad

http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/20...acr-v20-f12734

This viper for one. But I'm kind of confused about the same thing with all of them. It's just the lines I'm supposed to replace in the handling.dat, vehicle.ide, and carcol files. I've been just copy/pasting the new lines and replacing the original one for the car thats being replaced in the handling file, and that seems to be working, I'm just not sure if it's working right. Because when I replace with the new line using copy/paste, the spaces aren't in the same places, and I'm just not sure if that matters. So far, the new cars seem to working, with nothing obviously fucking up or anything. On a side note, I tried to put in a GTO without doing anything to the handling file (just replaced the wtd and wft files), and it would flip into the air during any turn at more than half a mile per hour or so. I replaced the line in the handling file, and it doesn't do that anymore.

Also, i tried installing this Lambo... http://www.gta4-mods.com/vehicles/la...0-4-epm-f10934 Up until then, I hadn't been messing with the vehicle.ide or carcols files, figuring the models and the handling were good enough for now. Installing the lambo, I tried replacing the lines in the vehicle.ide and carcols files too, and after that I got a "fatal error" every time after about 2 or 3 minutes of play. I restored with my backup files and it works again. I think I might have done something wrong that time with the vehicle.ide and carcols files.

Any there any really good highly detailed video walkthroughs on this?
Old 02-27-2012   #6
rappo
Professional Dumbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmimbadad
This viper for one. But I'm kind of confused about the same thing with all of them. It's just the lines I'm supposed to replace in the handling.dat, vehicle.ide, and carcol files. I've been just copy/pasting the new lines and replacing the original one for the car thats being replaced in the handling file, and that seems to be working, I'm just not sure if it's working right. Because when I replace with the new line using copy/paste, the spaces aren't in the same places, and I'm just not sure if that matters. So far, the new cars seem to working, with nothing obviously fucking up or anything. On a side note, I tried to put in a GTO without doing anything to the handling file (just replaced the wtd and wft files), and it would flip into the air during any turn at more than half a mile per hour or so. I replaced the line in the handling file, and it doesn't do that anymore.
Yep, that's all good - you're installing the lines correctly. The spaces don't need to line up.

The second mod crashed because it requires another one called EPM: http://kotschopshop.com/topic/3780126/1/
Old 02-28-2012   #7
shmimbadad

Oh okay. So, is that all the vehicle.ide file tweaks are? Just the extra moving parts? Like, if I don't really care about that, and don't want to get too crazy with the mods, is that stuff all i'm missing by just replacing the models and the handling.dat lines?
Old 02-28-2012   #8
rappo
Professional Dumbass

If you want your mods to work properly and as the author expected them to handle, then always replace the text lines. It's not much more work and it usually ensures your game won't screw up.
Old 02-28-2012   #9
shmimbadad

mmk, so find and replace the lines in the vehicle.ide and carcols files, too, and, if they're not epm cars they should work fine? Also, for the epm cars, I downloaded the epm 1.3 mod, and I haven't installed it yet, because I was looking in the instructions, and it mentions a command in-game using the numpad. My laptop doesn't have a full keyboard with numpad. Is there a way around that? I got a simple trainer program that moved the numpad commands to U,I,O,J,K,L instead. Is there a way to remap that control on the epm mod, as well? If not, that's no biggie, I can do without the epm.
Old 02-28-2012   #10
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
script mods like that usually have a file in which all the keys are displayed (and more), which button for which action. Just check the text files that came along with the EPM mod.
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote