Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which version of GTA V will you get?
PC 41 50.62%
XBOX 360 25 30.86%
PS3 37 45.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2013   #31
JiggyTurtle

JiggyTurtle will become famous soon enoughJiggyTurtle will become famous soon enoughJiggyTurtle will become famous soon enoughJiggyTurtle will become famous soon enoughJiggyTurtle will become famous soon enoughJiggyTurtle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Hello All

I would like to know
which the best version to get for PC

Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition or Collector’s Edition

Thanks
Xbox 360 and PS3 are the only versions of the game currently available for purchase. That said, Collector's Edition is best if you have the spare change.
JiggyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #32
darkdevilx

darkdevilx is an unknown quantity at this point
i used to play gta on the playstation did it with almost every version, untill 2006/7 i bought an xbox 360 because most of my friends have one, now i cant change back and im pretty happy with this one, so xbox for me.
darkdevilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #33
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
For al of its awesomeness. the lowly PC is still quite lowly when compared to dedicated gaming systems. UNLESS you can afford to sink thousands into GPUs and SSDs, then you are still getting WAY more bang-for-your-buck with a dedicated system like a PS3.

I have played lots of games on PS3, XBox360, and PC. The PS and XB games are smooth, look great, and only suffer from loading times. But you CAN install SSDs into both systems, which would probably make loading faster.

I will get a PS3 slim and the GTA V made for it. R* has tested the game for this platform. It will look good enough -- and really, it will look GREAT. I played L.A. Noire, and I was impressed by the level of detail that I got from the HDMI and my new LED television about two years ago.

Yes, memory makes PCs better for a lot of games. I don't doubt that the new game will be great on PC as well. Just don't forget that a dedicated OS, such as what is on an Xbox or PS3 is still miles ahead in lowering latency and optimizing graphics for doing what those systems were designed to do -- play games -- NOT

email
web surfing
content creation
word
adobe anything
flash
blah blah blah services and processes and networking and fax and print and

you get the idea.
J.Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #34
Offended_by_Everything
Social Justice Warrior

Offended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Orlando View Post
For al of its awesomeness. the lowly PC is still quite lowly when compared to dedicated gaming systems. UNLESS you can afford to sink thousands into GPUs and SSDs, then you are still getting WAY more bang-for-your-buck with a dedicated system like a PS3.
It doesn't cost thousands, or even a thousand if you know your stuff, to build an entire PC that runs games much better than the consoles as long as the game creators bother to put work into the port.
Yes, PCs are more expensive, but not that much more if you're smart about it. On top of that, some people actually do care about the additional functionality PCs offer over consoles and think the price is justified.

Quote:
I have played lots of games on PS3, XBox360, and PC. The PS and XB games are smooth, look great, and only suffer from loading times.
Whereas PC games are choppy and look bad?

Quote:
But you CAN install SSDs into both systems, which would probably make loading faster.
Good luck installing an SSD in a 360, new or old model.
You can put one in a PS3 more easily, but it won't give you any advantage for any game that runs directly off the disc, which is most of them. Kind of a waste of a hard drive that costs almost as much as the console, don't you think?

Quote:
Yes, memory makes PCs better for a lot of games. I don't doubt that the new game will be great on PC as well. Just don't forget that a dedicated OS, such as what is on an Xbox or PS3 is still miles ahead in lowering latency and optimizing graphics for doing what those systems were designed to do -- play games -- NOT

email
web surfing
content creation
word
adobe anything
flash
blah blah blah services and processes and networking and fax and print and

you get the idea.
Just because PCs can do other things besides play games, doesn't mean they're not optimized for playing games.

Last edited by Offended_by_Everything; 08-30-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Offended_by_Everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #35
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Just because PCs can do other things besides play games, doesn't mean they're not optimized for playing games.

They're not optimized for playing games! They are general-purpose computers, period. I agree with you that if you know your stuff, you can optimize a system for running many great games, but you do need to know it. And not everyone is super-keen on doing that. (I have lots of experience optimizing my PC so that I can run music creation software -- but again, the system doesn't come from the factory set up to do that.)

I've just gotten a bit weary of having to do it. I'm not a hard-core gamer. I enjoy playing video games -- there's a difference.

I don't do modding, MMORPGs, or creating movies from environments (yet). And if I do, then I'll be satisfied with the power in my i5/Nvidia GTX-650 system with 8 GB of 1333 DDR3 RAM. I just can't be bothered anymore to have to worry about framerates and load times. I just don't care anymore.

As I said -- I knew that this post would be controversial. That's fine. Go ahead and tear it apart if you want to -- but I stand by my words no matter what.

P.S. No, not ALL PC games look "choppy and bad," but some of them don't look as good as I had hoped that they would. GTA IV came out over five years ago, and today, the version that I bought from Steam still looks a bit off on my PC. I am running an i5 -- 2.4 -- 3.1 GHz Quad-core (maxed-out because I run it at 100%) plus, I have a GTX-650. That SHOULD be enough to run this game at full-tilt without breaking a sweat, and it does -- but it just doesn't look as good as it did on my old Xbox 360 when I owned one years ago. I chalk it up either to R* "screwing the pooch" as you wrote, or perhaps because I inanely set something up wrong on my computer. But if I were to play it on a console, it would look right without any intervention from me -- and this is what I like about consoles. Don't get me wrong! I understand 100% why people often prefer PCs. Let's all remember that there are trade-offs that each approach favors.

It could be my eyesight, which is deteriorating faster than the political climate in the U.S. right now. But what it LOOKS like is this --

~ 52% want it for PC
~ 31% want it for XBOX360
~ 43% want it for PS3

Uh...

Assuming that I'm not tanked, pickled, or blotto, that = ~ 120% of people.

I'm not, you know, Einstein, but hell... I ain't dumb either...

Last edited by J.Orlando; 08-30-2013 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 08-30-2013   #36
Offended_by_Everything
Social Justice Warrior

Offended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Orlando View Post
They're not optimized for playing games! They are general-purpose computers, period. I agree with you that if you know your stuff, you can optimize a system for running many great games.
So which is it? You're contradicting yourself.

Any PC that has a dedicated graphics processor (EDIT: designed for gaming) is, by definition, optimized for gaming.

Quote:
I've just gotten a bit weary of having to do it. I'm not a hard-core gamer. I enjoy playing video games -- there's a difference.

I don't do modding, MMORPGs, or creating movies from environments (yet). And if I do, then I'll be satisfied with the power in my i5/Nvidia GTX-650 system with 8 GB of 1333 DDR3 RAM. I just can't be bothered anymore to have to worry about framerates and load times. I just don't care anymore.
I agree that playing games on a PC is more work than on a console, and there is nothing wrong with not being bothered with it. What you are saying, however, is that those that are willing to put the money and work into PC gaming can't get a better experience from it. This is just false.

Quote:
As I said -- I knew that this post would be controversial. That's fine. Go ahead and tear it apart if you want to -- but I stand by my words no matter what.
In other words: you're willing to write something "controversial" but not to back up your arguments or refute counter-arguments.

And yes, GTA IV is notorious for being an awful PC port.

Last edited by Offended_by_Everything; 08-30-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Offended_by_Everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #37
J.Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCAB View Post
So which is it? You're contradicting yourself.

Any PC that has a dedicated graphics processor is, by definition, optimized for gaming.
(I yanked my argument here, because you correctly edited your post. Again -- I apologize if I seem like I'm coming off being all holier-than-anyone -- if a PC was factory-optimized, then yes -- it is optimized. I had been referring only to Windows 7 and 8 builds that come stock without any modifications.)

And you're dead-on about that GTA IV port. Wow -- does it ever suck. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited by J.Orlando; 08-30-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Old 08-30-2013   #38
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
PS3, but for some reason I clicked Xbox 360. D'oh.
Old 08-30-2013   #39
J.Orlando

And I do apologize if I made it seem as though it wasn't WORTH it to put in the extra work. I wasn't trying to make it seem as though it was a "waste of time" or anything of the sort. It might be a waste of time for ME -- but not for anyone who cares a lot about the experience that they expect to get.

You are also 100% correct in asserting that if you put the work in, you can get a better-than-console experience from a PC. What I was referring to (and I should have been more explicit in saying this) is that, for your money, buying a console is still more cost-effective. You won't get to do that fun stuff that you CAN do with a PC. You can only upgrade within certain limited parameters on a console -- whereas a PC gives you about 5 to 10 years of upward mobility.

Plus, even if one game kinda sucks on a PC, there are loads of others that are already better-looking on PC. I'll refer to another game from a different post that I wrote about here at GTAGAming -- Hitman Absolution. The PC version, even on my modest rig, looks @#$%! INTENSE. I loved playing that game, despite its flaws -- because it looked BEAUTIFUL. And the mechanics and the low-latency were just amazing.

Take heart -- I'm not criticizing PC gamers. Quite the contrary -- I envy you. But I'm getting old, and I just don't have the energy to spend much time on modifying a gaming rig. I love modding my MUSIC rig -- so I guess that maybe I just don't have a lot of steam left (ha ha, bad pun) for increasing the memory in my gaming computer, et cetera.

And finally -- not to beat a dead horse -- but saying that there is a difference between "hardcore gamers" and those who "love to play video games" isn't an insult. If anything, it is a sign of reverence. I'm more than a mere casual gamer, in the sense that I take winning seriously enough to try to win. But I'm not on any leaderboards, I don't post to forums more than once-in-a-blue-moon (or a major release like this one) and as I said -- I am not much into the PC gaming experience.

Frankly, I was stoked when I was finally able to ditch my Pinnacle Game Profiler so that I could start playing post-2011 video games. Anyone who reads this and knows what I'm saying either understands because they are in the same boat, or because they loathe gamepads and prefer the keyboard and mouse. If you're in the former camp, then you're probably either a casual console gamer (like me) who sold his console and got bored and wanted to play games after a while so you got a Steam account and used an existing PC that you had around and learned the hard way that not all games work with your trusty Logitech gamepad and you had to buy PGP because that was the only way to play VC and SA and III and other such games -- or you're in the latter camp and you think that I'm a heretic who should be burned at the altar of the old Nintendo 8-bit.

Or something like that...

I'm going to stop now.

Last edited by J.Orlando; 08-30-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Old 09-02-2013   #40
killahmatic
Wildlife Photographer

killahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enoughkillahmatic will become famous soon enough
360, because its what I own. No hate towards other consoles, they're all great.
Old 09-04-2013   #41
Runner 500
Police Officer

Runner 500 is on a distinguished roadRunner 500 is on a distinguished road
PS3, if for PC it would probably end up like my GTA IV in my PC because everytime i installed GTA IV it always stopped working.
Runner 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #42
J.Orlando

I wish that PS4 had been out already and that the new game would come out on that, but hey -- yeah, it's a toss-up on whether to go with XB360 or PS3. I've just grown a bit weary of constantly supporting Redmond, so I'm given to go with PS3.

And everything that we've seen shown for this current console generation shows us one thing: If you care more about this game than any other, and even if you don't already own a current gen console, it wouldn't be a waste of your time to invest in this game. At least, I personally don't feel that way.
Old 09-05-2013   #43
j_harvill

j_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of light
Both xbox and ps triple versions.
Old 09-06-2013   #44
J.Orlando

Smile Reversing my own decision...?

I may wait for the PS4 to come out, and hope that R* puts GTA V out for it.

Any thoughts?

AND to add to this (which would be a major reversal from an earlier post that I made) if this comes out for PC on the 17th, I'll get it for my computer. I just can't really afford to buy an entire system right now, and doing this would save me so much money it would be insane. Plus, I'd rather own something that will improve if I get a better computer.

It's tough to do that with a console, as I've correctly pointed out. After having reread my own posts on this subject over the last week, I may have begun to see the light, so-to-speak...

Last edited by J.Orlando; 09-06-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Old 09-06-2013   #45
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
PC version always, just because of modding.

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote