Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #16
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
Thank you very much.

Fallout New Vegas' modding process is very much the same as FO3's. The few key programs you need are the GECK, Fallout Mod Manager, New Vegas Script Extender, BOSS, and either FNV Edit or Wyrebash for merged patches. The only other thing you must make sure of is that you are using an up to date steam version of the game (or the legal version) since mods are sensitive to what patch you are using.

If you are interested in further modding of New Vegas I have a Nexus account under the same username and would highly recommend this user friendly website if you haven't already.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/

As for my character, in order to make the playable character different from all the other Caucasian race NPCs, I had to make a new "race" in the Geck to take the modified head texture and set it as playable.

It can be tricky though since you need to unpack the race directory or copy another race and use its mesh and texture settings for the other parts of the body. Otherwise when you go to select the mesh or textures of the hands (for example) the Geck won't be able to find them packed away in their BSA files.
TheFourthHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #17
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
If you need OpenIV still, you can get it here: http://www.gta4-mods.com/tools/openiv-093-f11030
rappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #18
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
THANK YOU RAPPO!

I wasn't entirely sure which versions worked with the latest patch. Now I can move on to the wonderful world of modding, forgetting to make backups, and reinstalling

Leave it to an admin... thanks again! ^_^
Old 01-08-2012   #19
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
No problem! Post here if you need any other help...
Old 01-08-2012   #20
TheFourthHorse

Okay I got one... what should I use to edit these dat files like "Handling.dat" because I am lost here >_<

edit: or if it's any old text editor like notepad what should i save it as? plain text?

Last edited by TheFourthHorse; 01-08-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Old 01-08-2012   #21
rappo
Professional Dumbass

All those .dat and .ide files are just plain text files with fancy extensions. You can open them in Notepad and save them as they are (as .dat and .ide). Make sure you don't change the file names!
Old 01-08-2012   #22
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Although u should be carefull with that kind of files.. editing sometimes causes you game to freeze up (happend to me alot when editing weaponsinfo even though I followed the instructions of the readme from the weapon mods I was installing)
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #23
rappo
Professional Dumbass

Well you can basically edit any file, you just need to make sure you're doing it correctly Sometimes mod authors may slip up in their ReadMe's. I like to keep the habit of installing one mod at a time, so when my game all of a sudden doesn't work, I know exactly which one it is and I can uninstall it.
Old 01-08-2012   #24
TheFourthHorse

Yea it took me about 5 minutes to realize all I had to do was hit save instead of save as like I usually do... I would have corrected my post much earlier but I just spent the last 40 minutes tooling around Liberty City in my brand new preowned Jeep Cherokee! That means I've pretty much got down this GTA modding thing enough to where I can at least try out some of this wonderful user generated content.

Thank you rappo, corporalvenus, and Killerfist for making the agonizing process of trial and error allot easier by eradicating it completely lol

Your help was and still is very much appreciated.

@Killerfist666

Regarding EDGE... I got a chance to test this mod and it does just as it says to a point. The author did well to optimize the game without losing too much in graphical appearance. I certainly noticed smoother game play, however, as some of you have pointed out... the games FPS still dips sporadically and without warning.

Whatever the core reasons are for these random dips, this mod sadly does nothing to address them and while it was simple and easy to install I wouldn't recommend it unless one was suffering consistently low frame rates throughout.
Old 01-09-2012   #25
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFourthHorse View Post

@Killerfist666

Regarding EDGE... I got a chance to test this mod and it does just as it says to a point. The author did well to optimize the game without losing too much in graphical appearance. I certainly noticed smoother game play, however, as some of you have pointed out... the games FPS still dips sporadically and without warning.

Whatever the core reasons are for these random dips, this mod sadly does nothing to address them and while it was simple and easy to install I wouldn't recommend it unless one was suffering consistently low frame rates throughout.
Okay thanks for letting me know.. I don't have alot of problems with how the game performs, it's just sometimes a little slow (while I have a great set-up) nothing major so I'll not install this mod then
Old 01-09-2012   #26
TheFourthHorse

Yeah even with my old 9800gt the performance was respectable before the mod since its about the same age as GTAIV lol

I figure Iíll hold onto it in case I want to install some HD textures
Old 01-10-2012   #27
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

If you're still looking for a graphics mod.. I recommend this one: http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/icenha...phic-mod-f9503

But you should backup your files and try some out .. find out which one you like best. I run this graphics mod (on 1.0.7.0) it's originally designed for patch 1.0.4.0. but It works fine on the newest patch. The only problem u'll come across in basicly every graphics mod is the redsky bug .. which essentially means that when u look at the sky at some angle u'll see a red sky. Doesn't bother me that much (although it can be a pain in the ass when ur working on a video )
Old 01-10-2012   #28
TheFourthHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist666 View Post
If you're still looking for a graphics mod.. I recommend this one: http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/icenha...phic-mod-f9503

But you should backup your files and try some out .. find out which one you like best. I run this graphics mod (on 1.0.7.0) it's originally designed for patch 1.0.4.0. but It works fine on the newest patch. The only problem u'll come across in basicly every graphics mod is the redsky bug .. which essentially means that when u look at the sky at some angle u'll see a red sky. Doesn't bother me that much (although it can be a pain in the ass when ur working on a video )
HmmÖ interestingÖ this red sky bug sounds like something that might annoy me but itís certainly worth a try. Thank you for the recommendation and Iíll be sure to make backups of the files I replace.