Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012   #1
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
::Noob Requesting Help::

Hey Folks,

I'm new to the site and I'm looking for a little jump start to get me going. I've been modding Bethesda games for a little over a year now and I've been loving it but now I just got GTAIV off amazon for $4.99 and I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I am well aware of the apparent performance and FPS issues with this (now) infamous PC port and I'm looking right off the bat to improve the FPS rate on my aging GPU.

Would you guys be so kind as to provide any help or recommendations to improve performance?

I'm also aware that some poor PC ports have issues with quad core processors and am wondering if this game suffers from any such problems…

I'm in no rush as I'm downloading this game on a backwoods DSL connection but any replies would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by TheFourthHorse; 01-01-2012 at 11:12 PM..
TheFourthHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #2
corporalvenus

corporalvenus is on a distinguished roadcorporalvenus is on a distinguished roadcorporalvenus is on a distinguished road
what's been working for me is to open up visualSettings.dat in microsoft excel and turn off as much motion blur as possible. and in there as well lower the render distance of peds and cars. you can max out your in-game settings and not experience any lag. also to avoid the slideshow effect that you'll get if you have low vram, lower the rain weight and intensity. you can get about 5-6 fps more. but yeah it's pretty up and down with the fps with this game.
corporalvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #3
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the tip, I will defiantly try this out... after I make a backup of course ^_^'

Have any of you attempted making the program large address aware?
Old 01-02-2012   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Not so much for FPS rate, but a graphics mod is also a must have.. makes the game look alot better. The quad core problems u mention (that are indeed problems in fallout games for example) are not in Gta IV I believe, I'm not that dissapointed by gta iv on pc .. everyone calling it a 'bad pc port' I think it's alot better then the console version (at least graphics wise)
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #5
TheFourthHorse

Yea I guess it just wasn’t optimized as well as it could have been but I'm glad to hear that about quad cores. I'm running on a 9800gt and am eager to see how it holds up with the game that’s about the same age…

I began downloading when I posted this thread today at 1:07 am and here I am 16 hours later at only 24 percent… I guess my eagerness will have to holdout
Old 01-03-2012   #6
corporalvenus

corporalvenus is on a distinguished roadcorporalvenus is on a distinguished roadcorporalvenus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist666 View Post
Not so much for FPS rate, but a graphics mod is also a must have.. makes the game look alot better. The quad core problems u mention (that are indeed problems in fallout games for example) are not in Gta IV I believe, I'm not that dissapointed by gta iv on pc .. everyone calling it a 'bad pc port' I think it's alot better then the console version (at least graphics wise)
this is number one. simply because it offsets the games original settings. here's some other tips in improving performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWCVhk5gTps (tutorial of windows 7 to increase vram)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXcQP..._order&list=UL (tutorial for windows 7 to take full advantage of your dual, quad, hexi, or octocore processor).

some other tips:

-switch to windows classic when playing a game. increases gpu performance.

-last resort to add to the bunch: gamebooster.

in regards to graphics mods, i recommend disabiling bloom. tonight i had a huge breakthrough in increased performance. i disabled bloom and my fps jumped up astronomically. fraps was saying i was at 20fps but i play a lot of bf3 and i know how fast the game was going that that was definitely not 20fps. i laughed when i hit record and it jumped down to 15fps. i was still going at the same speed.

those are some tips.

i work in advertising by the way people.
corporalvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #7
TheFourthHorse

Thanks for the advise!

I'm still eager to see how the vanilla game settings will perform... I'm now at 77 percent. If I hadn't played this game before I would have avoided the hassle of downloading and splurged the extra $15 on the disc.

Have any of you used EDGE?
Old 01-03-2012   #8
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
No I came across that 'edge' mod .. but I never tried it out, if you do .. let me know how that works out
Old 01-04-2012   #9
TheFourthHorse

I will definitely give it a shot and post my results and reactions... it’s worth seeing if it gives the fps jump it claims.

I’m in the process of playing a number of other games and have not yet read up on the modding tutorial properly so I assume it will be a good week or so before I understand and begin installing mods without the risk of conflicts and complications.
Old 01-06-2012   #10
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Depends on what u mean with modding ..but if you're intrested in making characters, clothing etc in gta I suggest u take a look at this tutorial:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?s...ic=481411&st=0

What modding did u use to do in bethesda games? and in which games? I play alot of fallout atm .. just curious
Old 01-06-2012   #11
N0OS3
Newbie Member

N0OS3 is on a distinguished roadN0OS3 is on a distinguished roadN0OS3 is on a distinguished road
I'm a noob as well... i'm running off a laptop with Intel Core2 Duo 2.26GHz x2 64-bit OS 4GB ram... am i good to run this game at full capacity or should i change any settings and not run anything in the background (like Firefox for instance)?
N0OS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #12
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
It's always best to not run anything in the background. As for if you can run it at full capacity - your CPU and RAM are decent, but probably not enough for FULL capacity. Unless you have an amazing GPU.
rappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #13
N0OS3
Newbie Member

N0OS3 is on a distinguished roadN0OS3 is on a distinguished roadN0OS3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappo View Post
It's always best to not run anything in the background. As for if you can run it at full capacity - your CPU and RAM are decent, but probably not enough for FULL capacity. Unless you have an amazing GPU.
okay thanks. I'll toy around with the settings and see what my pc can handle.
N0OS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #14
TheFourthHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist666 View Post
Depends on what u mean with modding ..but if you're intrested in making characters, clothing etc in gta I suggest u take a look at this tutorial:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?s...ic=481411&st=0

What modding did u use to do in bethesda games? and in which games? I play alot of fallout atm .. just curious
Thank you for the link… very helpful stuff in here.

I've mostly modded Fallout 3/NV but have done a little retexturing of Skyrim. My experience consists mostly of retexturing, normal maps, and basic Geck/CS stuff like cell design and so on... for example I textured a nasty bullet scar on my character (normal map and all)

I have tinkered a little with Nifs but haven't had the time or real interest in learning how to really work with mesh and I imagine it will be more or less of the same with GTA until I really get the hang of programs like blender.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Okay well I've hit a huge speed bump... no one has updated the tutorial and I could really use a link to SparkIV or Open IV that works with the latest patch. Spark was going to be what I was using since it seems to be the more widely used one but now I'm looking at the latest version on the OpenIV website... the english is kinda awful though... any ideas?

Any help would be really great!

Last edited by TheFourthHorse; 01-08-2012 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 01-08-2012   #15
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Getting a bit of topic now but who cares.. very nicely texture, your fallout new vegas character looks very detailed, how did u do that? My experience is that fallout 3 modding works alot better.. also with hair/face mods .. the only mod I found for new vegas was some beauty mod that crashed my game every time.