Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Off Topic & Unrelated > Video Games Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011   #1
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year Edition

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...s-october.html

JEA
Old 09-14-2011   #2
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
And one thing I hope to Christ they add in before they stop producing content for the game... is UNDEAD FREE ROAM. I would do ANYTHING for that. And I mean anything ;]
Old 09-14-2011   #3
Zero
Veteran Member

Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute
There's so much they could easily give us to replenish the game. But they just don't.

The train for instance.
An Attack & Defend style game on the train. Holy macaroni I can already feel the hot cum seeping from my penis.

Slink Bradshaw and Gus Ballard as playable multiplayer skins. Fuck you, Uncle. No one cares!
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #4
Gash_735

Gash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with the train is that they couldn't get it to sync properly, which was a pretty big issue, as the train would be like already across a bridge on one game, but just approaching the bridge on another, required some fine sync stuff or whatever to keep track of the train EVERYWHERE on the map for every person.
Gash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #5
Zero
Veteran Member

Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I just don't see the difference between that train and another player or pedestrian. As far as the sync goes.

And what about the lasso?
Old 09-14-2011   #6
Zidane

Yeah, always kinda wanted the lasso in multiplayer too, even if you couldn't hogtie people. I admit it would be a little pointless, but still.

And the train sync makes sense... honestly the wagons aren't even completely synced all the time. But even in single player I wish there were more to do with trains. I wanted like, awesome shootouts on a long train. Shoot a few bad guys, climb to the top of the train, blow them away, next car... god damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Holy macaroni I can already feel the hot cum seeping from my penis.
I lol'd pretty hard.
Old 09-14-2011   #7
Gash_735

Gash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeGash_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I guess I just don't see the difference between that train and another player or pedestrian. As far as the sync goes.

And what about the lasso?
The Lasso, I have no idea about that.

As for another Player or Ped, they're synced in different ways. Peds are synced by your view, so, if you're in Aramadillo, it will only draw out Peds from there and the areas immediately surrounding it. So even though there's another Player fighting the Police in Blackwater, on your game, there's no one in Blackwater except for that Player, as the game doesn't sync Peds out that far if you're in Armadillo.

You'll notice when you arrive in an area where another player is, there's a brief few seconds where the game quickly syncs up where Peds are for both you, and that way any new ones spawned will be synced up for both players (or more) in that area.

The strain and problem with the Train is that the main focus is obviously given to syncing up Players, so, if a Map is Full, that's actually a game keeping check on all 16 players on the map. Things like Animals, Peds, Vehicles that are not in use, are spawned and synced to each person on each console on a separate basis and only quickly syncs and matches up when other players are closing in to each other.

Trains on the other hand require to be synced AT ALL TIMES on the map as it's obviously traveling at a set speed and has stops, etc. Because it causes sync problems if it's done the Ped way, if it spawns a train later for one player because they're not near a track, then, it just gets confusing for the game to keep tabs on it and make sure everyone is seeing the train in the same place.
Old 09-14-2011   #8
Zero
Veteran Member

EDIT: Makes sense. I just wish it was possible is all.

Well even if it wasn't in the free roam. That I can understand would be an issue. But what about in one of the co-op missions? They had the raft one, floating down the river. They could have had the train ride around and at each station you'd have to defend it from heavy swarms of people. Then on the move it was random guys on horseback.

And they could have had the lasso in, but to keep people from griefing, they could have not only done out with the hogtie, but made it so you took no damage from it and it only lasted a few short seconds. There's plenty of other ways people grief anyway, so this really wouldn't be too far fetched.
Old 09-14-2011   #9
Gash_735

Quote:
Well even if it wasn't in the free roam. That I can understand would be an issue. But what about in one of the co-op missions? They had the raft one, floating down the river. They could have had the train ride around and at each station you'd have to defend it from heavy swarms of people. Then on the move it was random guys on horseback.
That doesn't actually sound like a bad idea, and as you pointed out, things are done differently on Co-Op, since it only has to Sync 4 players, it has more focus on keeping set pieces in check. But sadly Rockstar didn't really do any more Co-Op stuff after the first pack.
Old 09-14-2011   #10
Zidane

Yeah, if not in free roam, a 4 player max (hell, even two would be awesome) game would be amazing. Wanna spice shit up? How about you and a few friends on a train to Mexico with fast zombies chasing after you, and climbing into the train? Aw yeah.
Old 09-14-2011   #11
Zero
Veteran Member

That would be pretty damn fun.
Old 09-14-2011   #12
Severed Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Severed Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond repute
Ash, you described how it works very well. But tbh, it's a VERY minor increase in bandwith. And there's loads of optimisations that would make a synced train negligible. As you said, players that are a set distance away aren't synced with the player, that's common in any online game. Or even if it's not synced then it's very easy to set a lower update rate and use prediction to represent the other players positions while they're a long distance away.

The exact same thing can be done for the train. If the player is not near a train track or looking at the map, then simply update the train's position less often. The prediction will be a thousand times more accurate seeing as the train follows a set path. Say you update the train's position once every 5 seconds when its on the other side of the map. The only data the server will have to transmit is the trains position (typically 3x 32-bits) and the trains ID (another 32 bits). The velocity and acceleration can be calculated on the client side because it's a set path with set stops. Trains don't have multiple animations (and at that distance even for players you don't care what animation they're using), they don't have anything customisable, there's really nothing else that you'd need to transmit off the top of my head. 128 to up to 16 players is absolutely nothing.

And then at the absolute worst, if you had 16 players around the train like that game mode zero wants, at worst having a train there makes it like there's 17 players. Although it'd require far less bandwidth because the train is a far more basic entity than characters.

Where'd you hear that syncing was the issue with the train? Cause that's utter bullshit imo.
Severed Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #13
Gash_735

From Rockstar It was relayed from one of the guys at NYC though, not from San Diego, but that is pretty much what they told me, they had some very weird problems with getting the train to sync and the method the game eventually put out wasn't up to their "standards" as it appeared at too big a distance between players in a different location.
Old 09-14-2011   #14
Severed Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Severed Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond reputeSevered Legham has a reputation beyond repute
That's really weird! The only thing that i can see that would make it difficult is that it would have to be really precise. Because the train carriages have so many obstacles on the floor. So if it wasn't in the same position for everyone players would appear inside them, and then the clients that could see them would probably snap their positions outside it, making them look all jumpy. But really, the train doesn't move that fast, they should be easily able to make it precise enough. And it's not like all the clients have to do physics calculations on it, unlike the horse carriage things, because it's fixed to the tracks.
Severed Legham is offline   Reply With Quote