Old 05-21-2011   #1
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
End of L.A. Noire *Spoilers*

Just finished it. What did everyone else think?

The ending seemed a little off. I loved the fact that the hero "poster-boy" of the LAPD was not a hero at all, but his death still left so much to be desired. I can watch John Marston's death and get a little teary, but I can't even fathom caring about Cole that much, probably because the game begins to distance itself from him towards the end.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #2
Grimmy
I'm ready for the laughing gas

Grimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Bah.

What's wrong with the ending is that you can see it coming. All of a sudden you play as a different character so its obvious something will happen with Cole. He doesn't even get a proper send off gameplay wise because after you start playing as Jack Kelso you only play as Cole for another 15 minutes investigating the doctor. They could have made it less obvious by making Kelso a playable character way back maybe after the Traffic desk and have him be a Private Investigator before Cole gets him fired. A switch between Cole and Kelso would have kept the players guessing as to what will happen at the end.

I read a bunch of stuff from people saying him dying is his atonement for all the things he did in the war. That would make sense if his death wasn't just such a random happenstance. They killed the army guy, convicted Leland Monroe but just as everything looks good a wave of water sweeps Cole away? That was kinda half assed.

The game is great up to the point where you begin to play as Kelso. After that the game kinda falls flat for me because I already called the ending. The investigation stuff didn't matter as much anymore to me.
Old 05-21-2011   #3
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't mind playing as Kelso because when the change first occurred it felt quite refreshing, but once you started with Kelso you didn't really go back to Cole until the search of Fontaine's surgery. There needed to be much more switching between the two characters, like how it was done in the final case.

Elsa filled the femme-fatale role of the film-noir genre almost perfectly. I kind of got the impression that Kelso was helping out because he had a little thing for her.
Old 05-21-2011   #4
Grimmy

Grimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond repute
It makes sense from a Noir film perspective of he had his saving grace by helping Kelso and Elsa escape from the water. That way he dies a true hero and not a false hero he was made out to be by the army. But it still felt rushed in and forced. It was almost slapsticky how he saved them and all of a sudden the water swept him away. I almost laughed when he said "Goodbye".

I liked the memorial though where Kelso talked about Cole not being his friend, but not his enemy either. Then there's Earle up on the podium saying Cole was a good friend of his, even though he ratted him out. Guess he got the best out of it all.
Old 05-21-2011   #5
Tyler
Every Time Zone
Addicted Member

Tyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud of
Just beat it like a minute ago. I never got into Cole, not the way i felt for Niko or John. I felt like i was just there, watching it unfold. I didn't feel any real emotion towards Cole, at all when he died. Like Grimmy said, i actually saw it coming, and laughed when it happened.

But i will admit, the water effects are the best i've seen in a game so far.

wait, so you can't continue from the same save slot?

Last edited by Tyler; 05-21-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #6
Jay
(V) (;,,;) (V)
Wicked Member

Jay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said, watch out for them sewers.
Old 05-21-2011   #7
Tyler
Every Time Zone
Addicted Member

Tyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud of
That you did, Jay.

That you did....
Old 05-21-2011   #8
victim

So I just watched the final cutscene again on youtube. It has come to my decision that the ending would have been perfect if Cole had a more touching death/hadn't of said "goodbye" in a cheesy movie way. Like Grimmy mentioned it was "slapstick", which kind of sums it up perfectly.

Perhaps if we hadn't seen Cole swept away and only saw water exploding out of the drains as his friends are telling him to jump. Also, we needed to switch between Phelps and Jack in the sewers. COLE LITERALLY CAME OUT OF NOWHERE!

Cole's funeral on the other hand, when Herschell and Jack discuss the friend thing and then immediately afterwards Roy claims that Cole was his friend - chills!

Also, at least one partner should have died, this is a cop game ffs.

Last edited by victim; 05-21-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Old 05-23-2011   #9
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
wtf is with that ending. just rushed, convoluted, forced.

what they should've done, was introduced Kelso earlier, maybe just after the homicide cases, but introduced him as a private dick working for cole's wife(or exwife), then we could've discovered the cole affair secret(who knew or cared about this prior to it?).

it was such an odd way to end a game they're written brilliantly. what a shame.

still though, loved the game, gunna redo some cases now. how do I access my dlc mission?
Old 05-23-2011   #10
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

Algonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura about
the tunnel scene... meh.

The funeral. Epic.

I remember earlier in the game one of your partners says "You think you'll win this war?"
The ending was fitting that way, it was an uphill battle against incredible odds, in the end he didn't totally win.
Old 05-26-2011   #11
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
Just finished it. What did everyone else think?

The ending seemed a little off. I loved the fact that the hero "poster-boy" of the LAPD was not a hero at all, but his death still left so much to be desired. I can watch John Marston's death and get a little teary, but I can't even fathom caring about Cole that much, probably because the game begins to distance itself from him towards the end.
so agree with this. I was starting to like Cole earlier in the game, but during Arson and specially when you took over Kelso it felt like Cole who? I knew he was going to die in the sewer as soon as he helped the others up and it was kinda cheesy.

It's also a bit disappointing that Roy Earle and such got off scot free, but kinda expected when Peterson was talking to the police chief outside the sewers about a deal.
Old 05-29-2011   #12
The Dave
Straight Fuckin' Original

The Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to beholdThe Dave is a splendid one to behold
I didn't like Phelps I thought he was such a tweeb. I am not really happy being stuck playing as a insurance fraud investigator either...
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #13
Grimmy

Well he becomes the assistant to the district attorney.
Old 05-30-2011   #14
victim

Also, does anyone know who the man who stands up after Roy Earle's eulogy at Cole's funeral is? I don't remember seeing him at any point during the story.

I just assume he was another guy involved in all of the corruption.