Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Off Topic & Unrelated > Video Games Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011   #1
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
Max Payne 3 - Are you worried?

When news came that Max Payne 3 was coming, my heart, along with the hearts of many insane fanboys, jumped with excitement. It's fizzled now; Sam Lake isn't writing, James McCaffrey isn't voicing and Remedy aren't developing. Max is bald and living in Sao Paulo, rather than the original setting of New York. Each time news has come of the game, I have died a little inside. What had once been one of my favourite franchises, now felt like it was being gutted and sold for a different audience. A part of me has begun to ask why these games need to be a trilogy?

Quote:
"Contrasting with all of this carefully choreographed scene creation is the fluidity and realism of the physical interactions. Fights are fraught, fast and brutal, as you'd expect. But now bullet-time - charged by killing enemies, as ever - has a layer of beauty to match its gameplay impact. As with RDR, the level of graphical detail on offer delivers astonishing action moments - glass smashes, blood spurts, furniture collapses - but here it's fragmented and slowed to show off the fine physical elements... this looks to be what Rockstar has always promised - Max Payne re-interpreted and re-energised for the contemporary shooter fanatic."
Edge magazine has a cover story packed with new info and screens coming out later this week. Are you as frightened as I am?

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...ver-story.html
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #2
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
lot of games are like this unfortunately, the originals are better then new ones, the developers just don't have the time to put the quality into them that they use to, they care more about getting it on the market quicker.
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
James McCaffrey is actually back now, I guess Rockstar done a U-Turn when they got all that negative feedback from the original preview, from that they've also added flashback sections which feature Max with hair. But yeah, worried, ditching the comic books and noir feeling was quite daft, but the biggest insult has to be them shoving Cover Based Shooting into the game, Max Payne 1 and 2 were more akin to the keyboard and Mouse style gameplay and it worked well, instead, with Max Payne 3 we get an overused cliche of this generation.

Remedy are to blame as well on that front, by taking soo damn long on Alan Wake and then signing themselves to Microsoft Games Studios and pretty much sealing them as Xbox 360 exclusive also selling out from their PC gaming roots. Alan Wake should have been out a lot earlier and Remedy should have gone back to Rockstar to work on Max Payne 3, but alas, that's the gaming industry for you!
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #4
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
I hadn't heard that McCaffrey was back, that makes me so much happier. I kind of felt at least having the same voice would make the character carry over more, no matter the setting. I also expect the story to be quite fragmented, like in Max Payne 2. A "flashback" could refer to an entire act in the storyline.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #5
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
I'm actually really surprised Rockstar let the game go in such a weird direction. The new storyline is just ridiculous in the context of the first two game. A loving, well dressed father and NYC detective fueled by revenge for the death of his family ends up shaving his head and moving to Brazil. Yeah sure.

Did they not realize that the setting of Max Payne (NYC in winter) is such a key component? A flashback to that setting isn't going to change the fact that he's in Rio of all places. Which is pretty much the opposite of NYC.
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #6
The Shy Child.
GamerTag: shychild2010

The Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to all
I ain't gonna judge until I have played it.
The Shy Child. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #7
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
I hate Rockstar.
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #8
Gui
meh...

Gui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura aboutGui has a spectacular aura about
The new Max Payne or old i guess, reminds me of Denzel Washington in Man on Fire.

The latin american big city setting, Mexico City and Sao Paulo. Creasy (Denzel) and Max seem to be around the same age, Max is an ex-cop and Creasy is ex-cia and they both work in the security sector now. The movie is pretty good btw.
Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #9
Japisee
Addicted Member

Japisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond reputeJapisee has a reputation beyond repute
Debut trailer
Japisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #10
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
Looking lame. No Max Payne vibe at all. Instead, I got a generic tps feeling.
oppar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #11
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
As I've been saying on other forums, to me, Max Payne was a perfect blend of Noir, Neo-Noir, 90s Graphic Novels and John Woo films, and from this trailer, I got NONE of those, it looks more like Kane & Lynch than Max Payne.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #12
TGF
Infinitely Fucked Up

TGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to behold
Wow, that makes me sad.

I will hold the same hope for this game that I hold for the upcoming Hitman game. Hopefully the trailer doesn't speak entirely for the game itself.

Especially in the case for Max Payne 3.

2 was great, as good as 1 for me. It was destined to fuck it up somewhere along the line, I suppose.
TGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #13
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Just the combination of a sun-bathed South-American slum and the Max Payne theme made me almost laugh out loud. It's nearly a parody.
ZCAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #14
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the trailer, but then I never played much of Max Payne 2, so I missed a lot :|
Old 09-14-2011   #15
Tyler
Every Time Zone
Addicted Member

Tyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
I liked the trailer, but then I never played much of Max Payne 2, so I missed a lot
This.

It looks very action packed, but yeah, not like Max Payne.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote