Old 10-21-2010   #1
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
GTA on RDR's map?

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned anything like this, but I'm curious how GTA would be if Rockstar built on RDR's map. Of course it would have major cities and towns, like other GTA games, but it would also have RDR's amazing landscape, and wildlife. Most of it probably wouldn't even be recognizable, but it could possibly be cool to play GTA and already know some real history about the world, and hopefully by then people have learned to swim. So many places in America use to look just like RDR. Has anybody else thought of this. I'm not saying I want this to be the next GTA, because I'm not even sure how I feel about it, but I'm just curious if RDR's map would be a good fit for a GTA game.
Bigbeats23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #2
matt__jon

matt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enough
Why not? They already had the desert in SA.

I haven't played RDR yet, but I don't see why it can't work. Not sure if it'd be easier with the basic design already layed out
matt__jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #3
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
I'm sure it would be easier if they didn't have to worry about creating an environment, and I was thinking the same thing about SA. They could set up the world just like SA. Leave Tall Trees, the desert, and some farm land alone, and the rest would be city. It's weird when I play RDR and try to think about how it would look a hundred years in the future, because it's almost impossible to imagine cities with buildings as high or even higher than the ones in GTA IV, and the tiny dirt roads and paths also make it hard to imagine cars on city streets, modern bridges and highways, or towns with a lot more people in them. However, the one thing that is very easy for me to imagine is taking a dirt bike to the desert and going nuts. That would be amazing!

Btw..why haven't you played RDR, do you have a console? I remember hoping RDR would come out on PC, because I wanted to make some mods for it. Now I'm wondering if R* was trying to keep people from creating a GTA mod on that beautiful map?
Old 10-24-2010   #4
matt__jon

matt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enoughmatt__jon will become famous soon enough
I have a PS3, I got it probably six months ago now, and I have 7 games for it, but the only one I play is GTA4. I've been thinking about getting EFLC, but for a little more I could get an entirely new game (and probably still play GTA4 haha)

I do like the countryside in San An, but I've never cared much for westerns, although I have to admit RDR does look really cool. I'll probably just ask for it for Xmas, as I need a list and I never really want anything (weird huh?)

I've always thought it'd be cool if you could go to different periods in the game and everything would be different, but that would take a lot of work. Sort of like if someone modded the last gen maps together, and you could choose between 1986, 1992, and 2001(or 2) and the cars and radio stations would be different. I guess the cities, unless modded would still look out of place...
matt__jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #5
UnknownEpidemic
Worldwide Pandemic

UnknownEpidemic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wouldn't make sense. New Austin does not exist in the GTA world. RDR and GTA worlds are completely different as RDR is more like real life (N.W. Dickens mentions New York in one cutscene). Rockstar could create a city based on Austin, TX or something like that though.
UnknownEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #6
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeats23 View Post
I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned anything like this, but I'm curious how GTA would be if Rockstar built on RDR's map. Of course it would have major cities and towns, like other GTA games, but it would also have RDR's amazing landscape, and wildlife. Most of it probably wouldn't even be recognizable, but it could possibly be cool to play GTA and already know some real history about the world, and hopefully by then people have learned to swim. So many places in America use to look just like RDR. Has anybody else thought of this. I'm not saying I want this to be the next GTA, because I'm not even sure how I feel about it, but I'm just curious if RDR's map would be a good fit for a GTA game.
Interesting, I was thinking about this today. I could see blackwater expanding into a major city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownEpidemic View Post
Wouldn't make sense. New Austin does not exist in the GTA world. RDR and GTA worlds are completely different as RDR is more like real life (N.W. Dickens mentions New York in one cutscene). Rockstar could create a city based on Austin, TX or something like that though.
Real cities have been mentioned in the GTA world, if I remember correctly an radio advertisement in GTAIV mentioned San Diego.

Last edited by Lynk; 11-16-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Lynk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #7
zombienm
Ex-Dead Mod

zombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to beholdzombienm is a splendid one to behold
This idea intrigued me quite a bit. I loved the thought of seeing Red Dead's environment 100 years in the future. So I decided to do some experimenting and measure the size of Liberty City and Read Dead's Blackwater to compare them size wise.

This is a map showing the relative size of the city and extra space. By comparison, Liberty City takes up about 2/3 of the Red Dead Map. West Elizabeth and Tall Trees is about the exact size and shape of Broker/Dukes.

Here it is:
Old 11-17-2010   #8
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome job zombienm, interesting to see Mexico is bigger than both Alderney and Algonquin and it's surrounding Islands, hope the next place GTA is set is the same size as RDR or even bigger, RDR felt massive due to the massive landscapes and wastelands, so trying to imagine a City in that kind of space is interesting.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #9
VCMobster86
One Crazy Mofo

VCMobster86 is on a distinguished roadVCMobster86 is on a distinguished roadVCMobster86 is on a distinguished roadVCMobster86 is on a distinguished road
Would be awesome if they could pull that off.
VCMobster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010   #10
Bigbeats23

Oh wow, I had thought this topic was dead back in October. Great job zombienm! Just to make it clear for the people who didn't completely understand what I was talking about. RDR's map is supposed to represent America's past. I just think it would be cool if R* could just take things into the future. It would look just like GTA..no difference. Just the world would have history. For example, if you took GTA IV back 100 years, it would probably look something like RDR, but with GTA IV's map.