Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010   #121
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
Fun. So a random doomsday tick. Interesting possibility although pulling it off and not being cheesy as hell will take substantial work, but I'm open to the concept and eventually investigating what my options might be to be able to pull it off.

This would be particularly relavent when all cops are turned off and it's just a city full of war with no authorities anywhere at all.

But of cousre current priorities (and especially now current RL workload) push new ideas back burner. But I'll add this to my wish list file attached to the solution.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #122
fathermc
Newbie Member

fathermc is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, this is overall a very great mod. But I dont understand why the script console shows up and says

05:31:23:535| [ EXCEPTION ] [ Mayhem.CreateHavok() ] Method not found: 'Void GTA.Vehicle.set_CanTiresBurst(Boolean)'.
05:56:54:442| [ EXCEPTION ] [ AWC.GetRandomWeapon() ] 'minValue' cannot be greater than maxValue.
Parameter name: minValue

How do I fix this? It keeps popping up on the console.

Yet another great mod, thanks!

Last edited by fathermc; 08-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: There was another error referring to the Street Thugs file.
fathermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #123
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
Fathermc, let me see if i can help... hang on

Edit: For the second error, did you change any of your settings, ie your weapon settings? Don't use zero's, they need to at least be like 1 for most likely to a really high number, say 2000, for very unlikely. Also check to make sure if you changed anything from "True to False" or vise versa it is typed in properly. Ture or FLase don't work. And max poll radius always has to have a higher number than minumum, and retention distance has to be higher than max poll distance.

For the first error i am trying a couple of things. I know it pops up on my machine, i am seeing if i can play with a few options like making the tires bursting highly unlikely so the first spawned vehicles don't hit that chance so maybe it doesn't error. It's a shot in the dark.
Edit: For the first error and cannot get it to replicate again. My SHDN console is not popping up with 2.0.1.5 with that error, but it used to. I have restarted the game and started it normally, tried lower and higher settings.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-25-2010 at 04:38 PM..
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #124
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
@ fathermc

Error 1: You're using an old ScriptHookDotNet that doesn't have the burst tire method. AW requires the minimum SHDN version listed in the requirements file that comes with AW.

Error 2: Motorsport71 is correct in everything said

By the way, AW forces open the console to bring attention to any exceptions it can catch. This is on purpose and intentional. It prevents hidden errors from being generated leaving the player in the dark as to what is happening, as well as me in being able to help you. Trust me, it would be far more annoying NOT to have the console show up when exceptions happen and just having them occur underneath unknown to anyone letting crap build up.

Edited:

Just for extra clarity. All Chance related settings throughout the entire AW system is always, and only, a 1 to N chance, where N is the configurable number available to you in the config editor. The lowest acceptable value for anything, anywhere, is 1. For chance related properties, a value of 1 = 100% chance, a 2 = a 50% chance and so-on. So it is likely, as Motor said, you have used a 0 somewhere. That's invalid. If you want to make something NOT happen, increase the number as specified.

ChanceThis = 1 means it has a 1 in 1 (100%) chance.
ChanceThat = 5 means a 1 in 5 chance.
ChanceOther = 2000 means a 1 in 2000 chance.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-25-2010 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-25-2010   #125
fathermc
Newbie Member

fathermc is an unknown quantity at this point
Ahh thanks for your help gentlemen, its very much useful ! Respect.
Do you have the Scripthook that requires the burst tire method? I tried Aru's link but it was not working. Much appreciated!

Last edited by fathermc; 08-25-2010 at 06:30 PM..
fathermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #126
motorsport71

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
@Iron, I was poking around in the VB scripts that came with the SHDN and seen the NoLongerNeeded() coding example below: (No, i would never look at your scripts, his are examples. privacy not that i would understand them.)

Public Sub SpawnCar()
Dim v As Vehicle = World.CreateVehicle("BANSHEE", Player.Character.Position.Around(5.0F))
v.NoLongerNeeded() ' Call this to make sure that the game will NOT keep the vehicle forever
End Sub

Is SHDN functioning in a way that the NoLongerNeeded is working properly (or was that basically what was broken)? If so, can you use that to dispose of the chosen thugs and carcrew members so that you don't have to rely on GTA to do it for you? And if that is true, would the game continue to spawn the max amount of peds it can handle? I read up before on peds in an old forum that basically said there is a limitation to the number of peds that game can produce/handle. With your pedboost on, it should continue to spawn that max level.

Now, please, show me where i'm wrong so i can stop thinking about it.

@fathermc, here is the latest SHDN:
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=392325

It has the latest ScriptHookDotNet and ScriptHook files in it.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 08-26-2010   #127
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport71 View Post
@Iron, I was poking around ... Now, please, show me where i'm wrong so i can stop thinking about it.

1 - NoLongerNeeded works as intended.

2 - NoLongerNeeded is a wrapper around multiple explicit native game functions that take specifc object types and flag them as not needed. It is wrapped for convenience, as are most by SHDN, so from .NET a single call can be made against multiple object types instead of having to constantly use an explicit version of the native method based on the object type in question.

3 - All game (native) methods are provided by ScriptHook, not SHDN. SHDN wraps ScriptHook allowing use from .NET in a more natural way to the languages in the framework and not the long hand cryptic native method versions.

4 - "Can you dispose of ... so that you don't have to rely on GTA" makes no sense.

5 - NoLongerNeeded is used to tell the game an object is available to recycle as it sees fit. This is used for many purposes, the most common being to release objects created from scratch, in which case they are automatically flagged as required as soon as they are created so they are not immediately recycled by the game until it is flagged as not needed. This also applies when an existing object is manually flagged as required, which stops the game from recycling it until it is once again flagged as not needed. In both cases, it is designed to be able to retain an object regardless of distance or status until it is explicitly flagged as not needed anymore. Without that mechanism, the game would constantly recycle everything as soon as it was off screen long enough and/or at a certain distance as part of keeping performance up and memory down by destroying objects the player can no longer see or ineract with.

6 - The game explicitly tries to keep itself within a maximum 2Gig memory footprint at all times no matter what. One of the ways it does this is by constantly recycling and reusing objects. Objects flagged as not needed are allowed to be considered in this recycle mechanism. Objects flagged as required are not.

7 - Was this really necessary? If you want to learn scripting the examples are a fine way to start, but they in no way represent the complexity of AW. What they do represent is a basic begining and understanding of how to use a couple functions to make the game do something. So in that respect they are good to give a conceptual view of "do this, and this will happen" in the most basic sense. But they also in no way cover "do this, and this wll happen, but this might also happen, so you have to do this, or this, possibly this, and that, but only if this other thing is not the case, or this, or that, and also this could happen so you must ... "
Old 08-26-2010   #128
motorsport71

thanx for the explaination. the part where the it after it calls the banshee " Call this to make sure that the game will NOT keep the vehicle forever
End Sub"
I interpreted that as it was "inserting" an object into the game and would not "forget" it, instead of using resources from within. So that's why i thought that "NoLongerNeeded" would make sure the games GC would pick it up instead of miss it.
As far as the "GTA to do it for you." i know you are targeting random peds for Thugs and using a ped scooper for CarCrews and that the game was cleaning up them up if i remember correctly. When you talked about GC before i thought it was part of your AW. So i just wondered if adding that to targeted peds would be good / bad / not matter. No disrespect intended.
Old 08-26-2010   #129
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

@Motor

No disrespect taken but you have to understand, and I despise having to keep saying this but there's no other way to describe it, the raw complexity in many facets of what I'm doing is nuts. Some of it is simple overall, and many pieces unto themselves are not necessarily hugely complex, but the system as a whole including the coordination and synchronization required to make it all work is mind bending.

So then you take that fact versus a question like "hey would using NoLongerNeeded fix x, y z in AW?" is like... .. .. well I'm not even sure what to compare that too.

I assume the intent was to try and give suggestions for coding or something, and if you actually have a background in programming and a deep knowledge of the inner workings of the game guts and native function operations including those that compliment each other as well as those that are mutually exclusive then by all means. But if you don't, then lets just skip past that type of stuff

As far as techniques being used in a particular build, the information I put in the rev histories is mostly up to date for that partiuclar revision, but it changes very often because I am constantly trying new ideas and techniques that cross my mind. So for example although the Street Thugs are in fact converting existing Civs into homicidal maniacs, the ped scoop for Car Crews has gone completely obsolete and not used in the slightest way for the current build I'm working on.
Old 08-26-2010   #130
motorsport71

i promise i will not question programming techniques, some of it though is for self knowledge

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-26-2010 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: removal of non AW information
Old 08-26-2010   #131
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

No problem.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-26-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-26-2010   #132
motorsport71

thanks for understanding and the recommendations. I downloaded VB express which does have a 10 hour tutorial, i'm going to start it asap. I'm going to edit my old post to remove this prior converstaion from the post as i said i would on the last line.

Iron, btw, i've been meaning to tell you... i'm sure your a guy who backs up all your work (duh), but i have just about every build you put out this year saved if you were to need any of them. i'm a pack rat.

IRON,
I have the AW.Models.SpawnableCars.2010 configued so that all of the vehicles spawn now. The name listed in the vehicle.ide file had to be used to get it to call. I added all the vehicles name to the list. Give it a try, i sent you a message.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 08-28-2010   #133
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Check messages, I'll confirm the edits when I get a chance and then the list will have them available in the next release. Currently working on the draggers.

Edited:

heh just saw your note about backups. Yes I of course have the projects backed up, not just the binaries.
Old 08-29-2010   #134
Mr. Violence
Newbie Member

Mr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished road
@Iron

I was playing gta with aw yesterday and the strangest and also the coolest thing happened.I saw an lcpd chopper flying above me and shouting:"You're surrounded, it's lcpd" and such but it didn't go after me(and it also disappeared behind a building shortly after).That happened twice.Was that supposed to happen?
And one other thing, you should remove weapon chances and bring arming system from 2.0.1.1 back because this version still has issues spawning peds with rpgs(no peds have them) and grenades and molotovs while the version 2011 armed peds with all sorts of weapons inlcuding rpgs which was super fun(I increased rpg chance to 2 and all other weapons to 3 and it didn't work regarldess of rpg chance being 1)
Mr. Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #135
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

@Mr V

Edited:

I finally fixed the damn dragger issue now I believe and so can finish the new reserve corp system. Once I do that I will look at implementing the sort on weapon chances so it should test the lower numbers 1st then next lowest etc which should make the weapon chances behave as one would logically expect. Not surprised I forgot about that last part considering everything that is going on but it's in the wish list now.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-31-2010 at 06:37 AM..