Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010   #196
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
Oh i know, we've discussed that many times before. The mentality i had was that whatever the popcycle value was that you could have AW alter it from the background without modding the original file. Since i don't understand the programming i didn't know you could raise the pedestrian count and not the cop / vehicle count like you did with Pedboost. I thought that if you could somehow get into the PercCopCars from "behind the scenes" you could create a poll based boost similar to Pedboost. That way the cop cars were only where you needed them to be.

When i said " i meant to say you could create one to change the cop numbers by altering the popcycle file" i was referring to the above mentioned idea from behind the scenes. I did not mean literally go in and make a new popcycle file. I made a custom one myself and i have over 4 hours into it, but it puts a huge gang presence in the entire city and lowers police.

I was just trying to give my input on your post "If anyone knows a property or API to increase the amount of available cops spawned ambiently in the game world let me know" The only property that i knew of to change police vehicle and police ped presence is in the popcycle file.

I'm sorry that my idea was a waste of post and that i wasn't clear on my explaination of intentions / concept.
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #197
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
bleh no need to be sorry for trying to help dude. I understand a bit better what you originally meant from this last post too. Unfortunately no it is not currently possible at the moment, or more clearly not known by me. I know those settings are in memory but I don't know what memory blocks nor the offsets for them. If I did I could partially hack a solution by directly editing the memory itself. That would work but again I don't know the blocks nor offsets containing that data.

Updated:

Just an update that in conjunction with working on police I've also been doing another very significant performance pass as I go, resulting in getting back even more cycles and creating effeciency. I added some new custom performance analysis logic I made so I can start (and continue to grow it) better isolating long executing blocks to determine if they can be made more effecient. This already yeilded some great results. This was necessary and will continue to be so because the more complex AW gets (like it's not enough already...) the more impact it will necessarily have. I've also been finding and working around another large assortment of "problems" with SHDN but since the development of SHDN seems pretty much dead (for any decent release speed) I no longer care. I'm just working around all issues I encounter by expandng my API class so my progress is no longer affected by any future SHDN release. And of course this also allows me to simply create entirely new sets of options that don't even exist from SHDN which is a bonus side-effect.

Last edited by Ironhide; 10-03-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #198
motorsport71

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
@Iron,

Did you find a solution to your ambient police presence?

Last edited by motorsport71; 10-06-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-07-2010   #199
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
No time to work on it right now. Contract I'm working on hit phase 2 lot of 12hr+ days ahead.

As soon as I have time to do anything with it I will. My hunches were correct and I do have a functioning police core but it needs work to prevent things like them popping into existence in front of the player and a host of other things, plus need to finalize a large batch of other project-wide changes and also need to finalize a new sync time I put in place. I got totally sick of the weather randomly changing and the time going from day to night to day so damn fast wile I was testing so I created a basic game / system time sync. I could certinly go farther with that and have it snatch weather data from NOAA and stuff (I've actually done that in non game projects in the past) but for now it won't go that far.

Updated:

Way off. 14+hr/day, 7d/week for the next month+

Ahh the joys of engineering!

Last edited by Ironhide; 10-15-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Old 10-16-2010   #200
motorsport71

NOOOOOOOO! lol

@Iron

Hey, i noticed something you may want to change on your download pages, it says "Ambient Wars Revival 2010 - v2.1.0.0 - Hugely improved performance since 2.1.0.0"

I'm assuming you didn't mean to use the same build number twice. I'm not sure which build you were refering to on the second 2.1.0.0, I think 2.0.3.0b was the last before 2.1.0.0 i believe?

Last edited by motorsport71; 10-19-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Old 10-20-2010   #201
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Actually it is accurate. v2.1.0.0 is the version that had large focus on performance among other things. It was worded that way because I expected to be releasing the next version after it more quickly, but I wound up finally tackling the creation of a Police core, and my current RL workload ramped up by 1000% before I was able to get the new core and features squared away.

Not sure when I'll be able to touch the code again. Put in over 70 hours RL last week and the next month+ looks no different. But I'm still roaming around the boards here now and then, and also the other major board. Just no juice left to code for the game and be able to wake up at 4am each morning and throw down heavy business designs and code too.
Old 10-25-2010   #202
Nexsys
Newbie Member

Nexsys is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyway of making this work over lan? me and my buddy want to create some mayhem
Nexsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #203
motorsport71

@Nexsys
Ambient Wars was never intended for online / multiplayer use and is not supported for it. I don't know if Ironhide has any future plans to do so, but at this time there's no way to set it up for multiplayer. Sorry dude.
Old 10-27-2010   #204
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

It would take a very significant, prolonged amount of time to try and sync what AW does for it to work in MP. It was never intended or designed for that. It was designed to bring some chaos and variety into the SP world. It would be cool if it worked in MP but it would be a full-time job for weeks on end to try and do it, and only my RL job pays for my gear.

Speaking of that, Motor the MX17R2 I was using up here started having a few issues so I just built a new machine in this friggin hotel room.

i-7 980X6C currently have it at 4.3ghz testing stability. A couple GTX480 in SLI these sob are oven-hot. And a GTX460 as a dedicated PhysX card. Haven't finished configuring yet don't even have GTA-IV on here yet but my storage array is up so it's available once I get time to do it.

GTA-IV Mod Link: Ambient Wars Revival 2010
Old 11-12-2010   #205
blackbriarshaw
Newbie Member

blackbriarshaw is on a distinguished roadblackbriarshaw is on a distinguished roadblackbriarshaw is on a distinguished road
I seem to get this problem whenever I turn it on... any ideas as to how I can solve this?

blackbriarshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010   #206
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

You're using to old a version of SHDN. The minimum version is listed in the requirements file. The version of SHDN you have doesn't have that method and also has a number of bugs uncovered by AW that were fixed in later releases of that component.

Old 11-21-2010   #207
blackbriarshaw
Newbie Member

blackbriarshaw is on a distinguished roadblackbriarshaw is on a distinguished roadblackbriarshaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
You're using to old a version of SHDN. The minimum version is listed in the requirements file. The version of SHDN you have doesn't have that method and also has a number of bugs uncovered by AW that were fixed in later releases of that component.
Just did as I was told and everything worked! Thanks! Great mod btw
blackbriarshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #208
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Excellent! And thank you. It was a fun project. It's currently on hold because my current workload ramped up to the extreme and we have go-live dates into 2/2011 but anyway as soon as I hit a lull again I'll try to continue with it. The next batch should have a new police core. At-least that's the intention.

Old 12-22-2010   #209
Mr. Violence
Newbie Member

Mr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished road
hi there
haven't been here for quite a while.Anyway, i've noticed that lcpd clearing doesn't work as good in 2.1.00 as in previous version.

@Iron
I have an idea for a mod very similar to ambient wars.Would you be interested in making another mod like this one?
Just so you know, I don't know a first thing about scripting.I just provide ideas and maybe solutions.
Mr. Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #210
DragoN_POR
The Hate U Gave Member
Newbie Member

DragoN_POR is an unknown quantity at this point

Its ok to use your name Irohide..?
DragoN_POR is offline   Reply With Quote