Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010   #181
Pandemic
Newbie Member

Pandemic is on a distinguished roadPandemic is on a distinguished road
I have a problem, for some reason a green text menu keeps popping up at the top, and then at times it would say error in blah blah blah. :S
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #182
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
That's an easy one. Just do this, that and another thing and you're all set. Good luck.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #183
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
Well said, couldn't have explained it in better detail myself
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010   #184
Pandemic
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
That's an easy one. Just do this, that and another thing and you're all set. Good luck.
... Well if you don't wish to help with your mod, I won't bother using it....
Old 09-28-2010   #185
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
@Pandemic

You made an utterly useless post with no information in it about anything. So you got an equally funny response. It seemed obvious to me the intent was "you didn't provide me with any information, so my response can not provide you with any way to fix it". But you didn't get it. My bad... Wasn't intended as an insult. Was just intended as a funny way to say "Dude... describe the problem!"

I have an established history of helping people all over the place, in many ways. But I'm not a mind reader. You have to provide details for me to be able to assist you.

At a minimum do the following. Turn on UseFileLog in all cores (Player Assist, Car Crews, Street Thugs, Mayhem) and play until the problem, whatever it is, happens again. Zip those log files, upload them somewhere then post a link to them here and I will examine them.

Edited:

I guess it is not as obvious to some as it should be, that if you have a problem and need help, you actually have to describe the problem with as much details as possible for anyone to actually help you with it. I'll add a note to my wish list to create a list of information those seeking help need to provide. That way it will simply "exist" so when others make posts stating they are having a problem, but don't provide any information about the problem, I'll just paste that instead. It will also make its way into the troubleshooting file.

Last edited by Ironhide; 09-28-2010 at 06:53 AM..
Old 09-28-2010   #186
Pandemic
Newbie Member

Sorry for not providing enough details, I don't know how to describe it, but when I am playing with the mod activated, i will use the keys w d a and s to move around and drive, when I drive this thing pops up,
Old 09-28-2010   #187
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

@Pandemic

That's ok. But I'm sure you understand posting a problem of "blah blah" is like me asking why this wall is blue, without saying what wall, in what building, in what city etc etc.

To your error. It's because you're using an older version of ScriptHookDotNet that does not have the BurstTire method. Just install the latest version of SHDN. That is covered in the AW.Requirements.2010.Txt file of the package.

Let me know if anything isn't clear or problems after.
Old 09-29-2010   #188
Pandemic
Newbie Member

Okay, thanks very much.
Old 09-29-2010   #189
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

You bet.

Updated:

@ Motor

v2.2.0.0 - In Development

[ Police Core ]

I was finally able to get around to working on police squads to help deal with car crews.

The player is no longer considered the most dangerous thing in the city.

Car crews are now considered equally dangerous by any cops that are inside vehicles themselves.

If the player has a wanted level and a squad car is called away to deal with a car crew instead, the wanted level will drop by 1 per squad car called away.

The net effect is spreading out the perceived threat of the player in relation to other car crews in the city.

Car crews have a chance of becoming aware they are being pursued and decide to take out the threat by any means possible.

Cops on foot are not affected by the police car at this time. Only cops within vehicles are considered by the code to pursue other car crews.

Currently each car crew can have a max of 2 police squads assigned to them. This will become configurable.

The police core itself will grow over time with new relevant and configurable properties or behavior.

Last edited by Ironhide; 09-29-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-29-2010   #190
motorsport71

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
@ Iron,
First i would like to say Holy crap! Maybe you should apply for a positon at Rockstar You probably by now know more about the internal workings of GTA than half their programming staff. You could teach them a thing or two.

This release sounds like its going to exhibit way more Ambient Background Action, just as you set forth to do with the whole AW project. Everything you do that causes violent disruptions in the background is getting that point out more clearly. Bravo. Car Bombs
Old 09-30-2010   #191
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

@Mr. Subliminal

Added a note to wishlist that when I focus on Mayhem again to give special attention to rolling car bombs again and see what's up / what happened with those.

Regarding previous, just imagine what could be done if instead of having to hack-inject rogue logic threads into the game if R* would actually expose the next game and script engine to modders properly. Like Garys Mod for GTA... god that would be sssoooo incredible. Would stop having to focus so much effort on just the act of making modifications not crash the game and more time on content.

As you know this is the 1st time I've had a chance to look into the Cops side of the engine. From what I'm seeing so far, these are even more trouble to deal with than normal peds. The game is constantly trying to keep the amount of cops and cop vehicles in the world at any given moment to a very, very small number. especially if the player currently has no wanted level. I mean to the point of it will zip them away in a flash if you just turn your back on them taking them off screen for an instant, when they are "extra" that still exist while others have been taken over by AW in new assignments against crews.

There are probably any number of meaningful reasons for this. The most obvious is too many cops would simply be too annoying for the player since they would be constantly screwing with the player and tagging them with wanted levels. But I think also they are probably high-overhead / high-maintenance, i.e. cops have more complex AI behavior code associated with them so the more of those around the more CPU cycles spent servicing them.

At any rate I'm having to code a truly huge amount of minutiae to make them do what I'm doing. All the way down to me controlling the random time they are honking (squaking) the siren and forcing and keeping the lights and siren blasting and constantly updating their tracking / driving task to intercept a crew. But it's working. And when it's happening it's it friggin sweet and makes me want MORE cops available to play with and assign them chasing down shit using my new squad class.

If anyone knows a property or API to increase the amount of available cops spawned ambiently in the game world let me know. Some of the ones I've seen related to that are NOP unfortunately, based on the script function listings.

Updated:

Since I really want a massive police presence against crews, just like WE get a massive presence against us, I'm implementing a fallback set of logic. It will always prefer, and try, to find a game created cop and car around the crew and already falls back to around the player when that fails. But now in addition, if it doesn't find any around the player it's creating state troopers with full crews in noose and applying the logic I already made for world created cops against them. Dude it is CRAZY lol.... there are a huuuuuge amount of cops ripping around all over the place chasing car crews. If my testing shows these do not create statues or other problems this is going to be stellar.

I'll need to create some variation properties and logic, especially chance related stuff. Like created, uses siren, full car etc etc. Also of course some variation in the cop vehicle types. I'll throw in some patriots and a police2 chances and see how that looks.

Last edited by Ironhide; 09-30-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Old 09-30-2010   #192
motorsport71

@ Iron,
I have an idea. You probably already tried it / dismissed it, but here it goes. The basic popcycle.dat file has these specific presets per zone, below are two partial examples:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// POPCYCLE_ZONE_ACTER_INDUSTRIAL_PARK
// #Peds #Scenario #Cars #prkdcrs PercCopCars PercCopPed
-----5--------- 7--------- 6------ 60------------ 3--------------- 0

// POPCYCLE_ZONE_AIRPORT
// Weekday
//
// #Peds #Scenario #Cars #prkdcrs PercCopCars PercCopPed
-----20--------25--------14------ 20 -----------6---------------- 6

When you need an increased police vehicle presence, use a "Pedboost" variant to change "PercCopCars" in a poll radius equal to that of the Car Crews.

Last edited by motorsport71; 09-30-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Old 09-30-2010   #193
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Can't do that. File changes do not take affect without restarting the game because there is no known (to me any way) engine call to reload its full game configuration files dynamically.

There is no variant of pedboost for police.
Old 09-30-2010   #194
motorsport71

For the Pedboost variant for the police i meant to say you could create one to change the cop numbers by altering the popcycle file. I didn't know that the files couldn't be reloaded without a restart so that makes it moot anyway.
Old 09-30-2010   #195
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

AW was specifically meant as a mod that works in conjunction with or in a way that simply uses whatever changes (or not) the user has done to their own system file defaults. It does not and will not offer changed files. This would go against a core original principle in its design. People are free to make whatever changes they want to alter how the game plays without concern (usually) of it affecting this mod or any other mod that also follows the "no game file replacement" strategy.