Old 05-25-2010   #1
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Red Dead Redemption: Face Off

Digital Foundry have posted their article on Red Dead Redemption, disappointly revealing that it's near identical to the GTA IV engine, but has IMPROVEMENTS on the 360 side of things, making the PS3 version even more let down. You can read the article Here, but here is just a brief summary:

Resolution: 360
Frame Rate: 360
Textures: 360
Shadows: 360
Water: 360
Draw Distance: 360
Indoor Lighting: PS3

Overall quite a poor show from Rockstar regarding the PS3 version, at least GTA IV on PS3 also had better shadows!
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #2
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Actually when I played the 360 version I had to switch back to PS3 because of the frame rate. It's MUCH smoother on the PS3... at least mine. I'm on standard def/s-video right now, but the water on the PS3 version looks absolutely amazing. I don't really think there's much of a difference as far as the overall game, people are just really nitpicky if just one thing is slightly different.
Old 05-25-2010   #3
TGF
Infinitely Fucked Up

TGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to beholdTGF is a splendid one to behold
First of all, I direct what I post in this reply to no one in these forums, just anyone in general. If you are a fanboy pussy, then just don't read this.

Well, to be honest, I don't give a fat fucking shit. I tend to think of having the game as it is, instead of putting down every goddamn thing about it over what it isn't. I'm not going to lose sleep at night and b'aw just because of a few other "improvements" that another fucking console version has, because I don't have a working 360 at the moment, and I really don't care to (Alan Wake doesn't exactly make me wish I had one either), and because IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER.

Though, am I pissed about the quality of the PS3 version of RDR because of the fields R* lacked in development?, you bet your ass, it about makes me rage, I think it is sad because the PS3 has SO much more potential but those assholes cannot take advantage of it. But I'm not going to let that bullshit ruin the experience for me, because it is an overwhelming amount of fun, and always will be in the end no matter how it looks. I'm no goddamned graphic whore, and fuck the people who base a game on its visuals, go fuck yourselves, they don't make a goddamn game. You think people who don't play it on an HDTV will give a fat ass fucking shit anyway? Fuck no, I wouldn't, hell I don't now and I play on an HDTV, I don't give two shits, probably because I wouldn't really notice anyway, and once again, IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER.

I sure as hell appreciate the way it looks right now on the PS3. I won't be going around the map like some dickhead would looking at shit thinking "herp this wud luk so much betar on 360 derp". Respect what you fucking have, you could have nothing at all. They are most likely 12 years old or average aged gamers anyway, and think of nothing but how good a game will look on the shiny big HDTV they have instead of how much goddamn fun it would be to fucking play.

If anyone is going to bitch about how well it looks on the 360, and they own it on PS3, then throw your PS3 in a fire along with the game, and go buy a 360 you whiny little bitch. Meanwhile, I'll be respecting what I DO have while anyone frets over this shit.

Quote:
If the body did not die, and the fears borne in the mind just continued to pile up, the world would be nothing more than an eternal prison.
TGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #4
Jay
(V) (;,,;) (V)
Wicked Member

Jay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond reputeJay has a reputation beyond repute
Well my 360 died.. so.

Also I was playing the PS3 version earlier on the 50" 1080p TV in my living room, and it was NOT that blurry...
Old 05-25-2010   #5
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
My main complaint in this is that it makes Rockstar look lazy, there are other companies out there who make sure their games look equal between the platforms, there are companies who go beyond that to make sure they can squeeze the best out of each console and there are companies who just make the 360 version and do a quick port to the PS3 because it's the quickest and cheapest way to do it. It's one of those rare times where I wished Rockstar would be more like EA in multi-platform development because the magic they've done to their PS3 ports is pretty damn amazing, they took a leaf out of First Party developers books and actually created a custom AA method that relies on the SPU instead of the GPU for their PS3 versions of games. impressive work and it makes multiplatform games pretty much impossible to tell apart in most cases.

I like RDR, it's a pretty good game and strangely addictive, especially just out hunting and skinning animals and then using the money from that to buy more guns. But it shows that Rockstar have just not spent time of the game engine at all, we're pretty much the same as the GTA IV engine which is over 2 years old now. I'd be interested in seeing what Rockstar could do if they actually got to work on that, or even just got advice from other companies on how to improve it. Also a fix for the crashes on the PS3 version would be greatly appreciated Rockstar!
Old 05-28-2010   #6
Ash_735

Just to bring this up again, congrats to Bizarre Creations' on Blur, they have released details and let DF do a test on their game, the engine they've worked on is brilliant:

Xbox 360 Versions runs at 1280x720, 4xMSAA, 30fps Locked, No Screen Tearing and Barely any drops
PS3 Versions run at 1280x720, 2xMSAA, 30fps Locked, No Screen Tearing and barely any drops

To counter for the PS3's lower AA, they have used some of the Blu-ray space and included Lossless PCM audio mixes for the game compared to the Xbox 360's Dolby Digital 5.1. The PS3 versions even has a mix up to 7.1 LPCM!

Considering this has come from a company that used to do 360 games only, they have got to work well on their PS3 engine in a matter of months! Congratulations to them and let's hope Rockstar will take note for future games.
Old 05-28-2010   #7
WiM
All for one.

WiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the rough
TGF, I couldn't agree more. I've been playing RDR for over ten hours now and I simply love it. I don't care that the PS3 version is "inferior" to the 360 version, because the whole game just looks gorgeous and bulks with detail. This game is SO MUCH fun, I sometimes forget I'm playing a game.

Well, I say I don't care, but actually I'm just a bit angry. Or perhaps disappointed is a better word. It's been two years since the release of GTA IV and R* hasn't managed to get the PS3 version right. Why is that? As a former PlayStation exclusive, you'd think they would at least make the two versions equal.
I understand the 360 version is easier to program, but as Ash said, EA has shown that making multi-platform games which look the same is, in fact, possible.