Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Troubleshooting & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010   #1
Neverent
Newbie Member

Neverent is on a distinguished roadNeverent is on a distinguished road
Have you tried GTA IV in 3D yet? Test it here!

FIRST AND FOREMOST: You need 3D glasses with Red on the left and Cyan on the right. Let your eyes get used to the colors before looking at the pictures.

http://img214.imageshack.us/slidesho...1021733712.png
(Slideshow; press play with your red/cyan 3d glasses on). When you see them, they may not appear 3d at first (I have the depth cranked all the way up in these... give your eyes a chance to zone out... they depth is... well, very deep.).

I recommend reading my post with your glasses on before looking at the screenshots so your eyes have a chance to "warm-up" to the colors and you stop seeing so much red/blue. After your done reading this, go ahead and look at my screenshots so they'll look better.

This absolutely blows my mind. I accidentally stumbled on this ability last night after updating my drivers. They give this away for FREE! The link provided above gives you a slideshow of how I'm playing my game right now, and with ENBseries, I can take screenshots of the 3d post-processing effect (which nvidia normally doesn't let you do) so you can see if you want to try it or not.

To play your game in 3D, all you need are:
1) An Nvidia graphics card (8800 or higher and the only costly requirement for this and if you're playing GTA IV you probably already have one [I think ATI has something similar though, so don't worry if you have a high-end ATI card])
2) The new drivers for said card (Free)
3) A pair of 3D red/cyan glasses (practically free and probably somewhere in your house)
4) Just switch on the option for 3D -- easy as that!

As you'll see in the pictures above, I'll never go back to non-3D ever again Being on top of a roof REALLY makes you crap yourself lol

Keep in mind, these are only screenshots; I'm actually playing the game in real time IN 3D

Yes, when you first put the glasses on you'll say "Eww, but the colors are all distorted... it's all red and blue!" -- Fear not, after playing for about 20 minutes, your eyes habituate to the colors and the real colors shine through (white will look white again, greens, oranges, yellows, browns, etc., all come through. You stop seeing the blue/red. I know it sounds crazy, but trust me... it'll look at least 80% normal. I swear.).

I've also played WoW with this (Amazing), and Modern Warfare 2 (Graphically amazing, but aiming is difficult). It works for any game that uses Direct X (Fortunately, that's 99% of games nowadays).

Did I mention it's free? You can be doing this right now!

This last picture is my favorite. It really feels like the helicopter is about to hit you lol! Shows what the 3d can do
Neverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #2
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, this is stereoscopic 3D on Nvidia's side.

But i though this needed not only a pair of 3D Glasses but a LCD+ screen that supported 3D?

edit: Yep, i can only activate 3D Stereoscopic if i have: A 3D Compactible LCD, A 3D IR Emitter and 3D Ready Glasses from Nvidia. So i'm guessing your using something completely different from me if you only need 3D Glasses for it.

Last edited by Xan; 02-18-2010 at 05:14 AM..
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #3
Neverent
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
Yeah, this is stereoscopic 3D on Nvidia's side.

But i though this needed not only a pair of 3D Glasses but a LCD+ screen that supported 3D?

edit: Yep, i can only activate 3D Stereoscopic if i have: A 3D Compactible LCD, A 3D IR Emitter and 3D Ready Glasses from Nvidia. So i'm guessing your using something completely different from me if you only need 3D Glasses for it.
What you're describing is Nvidias "3D vision" and it costs a boat load. This is nvidia's "Discover 3D" and aside from the slight color distortion at first, gives you the exact same depth of 3D (but it's free).

Discover 3D comes with the new drivers for any card over an 8800 and will render any direct X game in 3D red/cyan anaglyph. So I'm playing GTA iv using this 3D.

In other words, anyone with an 8800 or better (and a pair of 3D glasses) can play their games in 3D. From your description, it sounds like you have an nvidia card and you can just download the new drivers and do it too! It's really impressive and I'll never go back to gaming with out. Once you wear the glasses for about 20 minutes, you almost completely stop seeing the red/blue and it's as if you're not wearing them at all, except that your game is so lifelike.

I stumbled upon all this by accident after upgrading to windows 7 (not required) and upgrading all my drivers for everything.

Last edited by Neverent; 02-18-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Old 02-18-2010   #4
duel454
Newbie Member

duel454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can anyone tell me how to get the general lee?
duel454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #5
Neverent
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel454 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get the general lee?
This thread is about 3D. I'm not sure why you're posting in this thread.

Last edited by Neverent; 02-18-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Old 02-18-2010   #6
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
OMG that is nauseating to look at. Why are the colours so far apart? It doesn't look 3D at all. And PROPER 3D gaming won't be red and blue, but digital 3D like G-Force

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #7
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
CB. That's the point of using 3D Glasses. The rest is done by your eyes through the lens of the 3D Glasses to combine the screen into something your brain fells comfortable with.

Have you even ever watched a 3D film or similar in a theater?

And unless your willing to spend 3k on a 3D screen that doesn't need 3D glasses like the new ones coming out, your going to have to settle for this.
Old 02-18-2010   #8
Neverent
Newbie Member

Well the thing is, is that the 3D I'm using right now is identical in depth and effect as the 3D vision goggles that Nvidia also sells.

After your eyes get used to the red/blue, you stop seeing it, and it's as if you're using the 3D vision.

I've tried both, trust me, I know. They use the same drivers to achieve the effect. They're exactly the same except one doesn't use red/blue, it uses shutters (etc., etc. - I'm not going to explain the whole set up here).

Bottom line, I'd never even pay 50 bucks (the real price is around 500-600) for the shutter set-up because the red/blue provide the exact same thing after getting used to the colors.

You'd have to try it to believe me. Turn on the 3D using the red/blue, crank up the depth, and play for about 20 minutes -- by then you won't see the red/blue anymore and it'll be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
OMG that is nauseating to look at. Why are the colours so far apart? It doesn't look 3D at all. And PROPER 3D gaming won't be red and blue, but digital 3D like
Are you paying attention? Your video and my pictures both require you to be wearing red/blue 3D glasses. I love this "PROPER 3D gaming" you speak of. Let's define 3D. Any technology that provides depth to do an otherwise 2D image is 3D. Whether we were gaming with this red/blue anaglph 3D, polarized light projectors for 3D, or the shutter glasses for 3D, it's all going to do the exact same thing.

The reason they're so far apart in my pictures is because the depth is at 100%. Therefore, unlike your video, you get realistic depth as opposed to just some corny 3D layer-effect. They make you sick because you're trying to see something you can't see without wearing the glasses... in other words, you're awefully confused. So if you thought that video you posted was 3D to you, and you WEREN'T wearing the glasses, then you're terribly lost. You MUST be wearing the glasses to see the 3D in the video you posted... so put a pair on, and then check the difference in depth between your video and my screenshots. It'll all make sense.

Try it. Your eyes get used to the red/blue and you stop seeing it. Last time I'll say that... but I'm trying to make a point. If you don't give it a try and you go out and spend 500 bucks before understanding they provide the same experience, I feel a little sorry for you (unless you can just blow 500 bucks without thinking about it).

The whole point of this thread is to make people aware that they can play in 3D, now, for free. I was hoping to get the reactions I got from another forum where I helped set it up for people, they tried it, they loved it, etc. etc. You know, help. Provide a new experience.

Not get chewed out by a 360 fanboy who doesn't understand what's going on. >.>

This 3D stuff works for any game on the PC (at least, any game that uses direct X... which is, at this point, 99% of PC games), by the way. I helped someone set it up so he could play Dragon Age origins in 3D. He thanked me a million times. I've been playing it with GTA IV, World of Warcraft and Modern Warfare 2 all week -- it's intense.

Last edited by Neverent; 02-18-2010 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 02-18-2010   #9
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Seems pretty cool, I'm downloading new drivers now and I'll try it out later.
Old 02-18-2010   #10
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
CB. That's the point of using 3D Glasses. The rest is done by your eyes through the lens of the 3D Glasses to combine the screen into something your brain fells comfortable with.

Have you even ever watched a 3D film or similar in a theater?

And unless your willing to spend 3k on a 3D screen that doesn't need 3D glasses like the new ones coming out, your going to have to settle for this.
Dur-hur.

Of course I put my 3D glasses on and it still looks atrocious. I've seen Ice Age 3 in digital 3D and that is what true 3D is, none of this red/green/cyan-last-decade stuff.

I can't see how the red/blue will "merge" into colour after so long, surely your eyes will begin to hurt.

Last edited by CB; 02-18-2010 at 03:11 PM..
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #11
Neverent
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
Dur-hur.

Of course I put my 3D glasses on and it still looks atrocious. I've seen Ice Age 3 in digital 3D and that is what true 3D is, none of this red/green/cyan-last-decade stuff.

And no, I don't have or even if I did have a few , I certainly wouldn't blow it all on a 3D setup.

This sounds naggy and bitchy but you're making a massive deal out of nothing tbh.
Sorry you feel that way... Most people I've shown were blown away. Especially those I showed in person (once their eyes habituated to the red/cyan).

I think it's kind of weird that these people have told me they won't be going back to non-3d, and that you feel the opposite way. Oh well.

At least we're enjoying the hell out of it

There's a small catch -- the 3D discover (aka, the nvidia driver stuff we're using for 3D in the screenshots) does something weird. It actually runs the game in what it calls "half color mode" -- this is something that was hidden deep in the registry files for the driver. I edited these registry values to display the game in FULL color. I'm not sure why they do half by default, but I think it was a dick move not to give an obvious option in the control panel to enable full color. Regardless, here are a couple screens taken in full color mode. To appreciate the difference in color (compared to the above ones) your eyes HAVE to be adjusted to wearing the glasses for at least 15-20 minutes. If anyone's interested in changing it to full color, I have a .reg that all you have to do is click it to permanantly change the nvidia settings to full color mode (then you can delete the .reg from where you DLed it to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman View Post
Seems pretty cool, I'm downloading new drivers now and I'll try it out later.
Can't wait to hear your impressoins!
Remember to hold Ctrl+F4 in game to increase the 3D depth. By default, it's only at 15 percent until your eyes adjust to it (it's this way in the 3D vision shutter glasses as well... just more evidence that they're pretty much the same thing).

Last edited by Neverent; 02-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 02-18-2010   #12
Neverent
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
I have a pair of red and cyan, and a pair of green and (I assume) magenta glasses. I tried mixing and matching the frames, as well as wearing each. Either the shades are wrong, or my eyes really need to adjust. I just can't seem to get a good 3D from these screenshots.
As far as the screenshots go, there are a few problems identified.
1) Perhaps your red and cyan are not matching up (as you suggested). The screenshots are indeed red/cyan, so red/cyan are the only glasses that will work. Your green/magenta will not (though through editing registry values, it's possible to display the game in those colors). Nothing that you can do about that except find a different pair :/

Try putting on the red/cyan glasses and closing the left eye. Do you have double vision through the cyan lense? Try closing your right eye. Do you get double vision looking through only the red lense? If you answered yes to either of these, you're experiencing "Ghosting" which results from your colored glasses not having the very same colors in the game/movie/screenshot. When looking through just one lense, you should only see ONE complete image that looks TWO-dimensional. You can edit registry values to get the game to display in colors appropriate to your specific glasses with a little fiddling. If you ARE experiencing ghosting, then colors not matching up with your specs is your problem.

2) I found that when looking at these screenshots on my tiny netbook monitor, the 3D was very unimpressive. The screenshots are best viewed as large as possible and on a nice LCD monitor. On my monitor, the depth is *incredibly* realistic. For instance, in the second batch of screenshots, falling from that room, the ground really looks a couple hundred feet away. Very exciting to play with that in real time and experience falling from that high XD

3) It's possible that since the depth in the screenshots is at max (100% realistic depth), you're simply not looking "through" your monitor enough into the distance. It's suggested that at first, you play all games at only 15% depth and increase it as you get used to playing in 3D. Anything below 100% is essentially training-wheels leading up to the full depth. Also, sit a comfortable distance away from your monitor; don't get in the habit of thinking your face should be a few inches away because that will ruin the effect.

4) Being in a dark room helps a lot, because if you're using the cardboard 3D glasses like I am (at least until my more comfortable plastic ones come in the mail), you can get reflections from things behind where you're sitting. Like if you have a lamp behind you, it will reflect off of the plastic lenses into your eyes. I heard this can hurt the effect.

Last edited by Neverent; 02-18-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Old 02-19-2010   #13
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Just to clarify, there are two types of stereoscopic 3D. The first kind is what the OP talked about - it uses two colours, in this case, red/cyan and renders two of the same frame in both of this colour, and set them apart to create the illusion of depth. This is quite primitive technology and has been around in the mainstream for a long time. It's called Anaglyph imagery.

The second kind is probably what you see in the cinemas currently, in movies such as Avatar. It's called Polarised stereoscopic imagery if I am not mistaken. It is more feasible as you don't have to adjust to the red/cyan colours. You'll need dedicated TVs/Projectors/Monitors for that.

A new kind is currently in development - you'll also need new 3D monitors for that but it makes the need for glasses obsolete. It's called Autostereocopic imagery.

Last edited by De7erminist; 02-19-2010 at 02:57 AM..
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #14
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
Manhunt 2 takes advantage of this feature as well.

grimmy is a gay icon
oppar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #15
Neverent
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{oT~dEv1L 666 View Post
Just to clarify, there are two types of stereoscopic 3D. The first kind is what the OP talked about - it uses two colours, in this case, red/cyan and renders two of the same frame in both of this colour, and set them apart to create the illusion of depth. This is quite primitive technology and has been around in the mainstream for a long time. It's called Anaglyph imagery.

The second kind is probably what you see in the cinemas currently, in movies such as Avatar. It's called Polarised stereoscopic imagery if I am not mistaken. It is more feasible as you don't have to adjust to the red/cyan colours. You'll need dedicated TVs/Projectors/Monitors for that.

A new kind is currently in development - you'll also need new 3D monitors for that but it makes the need for glasses obsolete. It's called Autostereocopic imagery.
All of them could theoretically work for gaming, I suppose. Even the polarized version like avatar uses (I could only be so lucky to own a couple polarized projectors!).

Of all the current ways to make games 3D, believe it or not, Anaglyph (the red/cyan) is currently my favorite because it's free and provides the same depth as the rest. That's recipe for win in my book.

However, the most promising, and the only one that could get me away from anaglyph, is the autostereoscopic that you're talking about. I can't even fathom 3D without glasses using a 2D surface. I'll have to look up how that is done! How do you make a 2D surface look 3D without glasses? Rather, how do you make a person see two different vantage points without the methods used in current tech? That's unbelievable lol.

::EDIT:: I read up on it and the idea is brilliant. It both makes perfect sense and is at the same time disappointing that you'd have to have your head in a specific position relevant to your monitor to get it to work (as the image would be essentially transmitted seperate to each eye at a certain angle). Would be frustrating to try to get your chair positioned in a way that it'd be both comfortable and reliable for an extended amount of time lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
I only judged from the screenshots you supplied as I don't own GTA IV (nor could I run it), otherwise I'd do some further testing. I probably should have stated that.

1.) I did do some testing earlier. The red lens has a very small amount of ghosting. The green and cyan both came out normal, as odd as that is. Magenta was just terrible. Not sure why the red has ghosting if the screenshots use red. The lens is as red as I could imagine it being.

2.) I used a CRT monitor which might be an issue. Both laptops have terrible displays so I won't bother with them. The CRT monitor was left on for very long periods of time and was worn slightly dim before it was purchased. The other CRT I have, which is in near perfect shape, has a nasty short that needs to be fixed. The only other LCD in the house is our HDTV.

3.) I'm not experienced with 3D imagery, so I suppose I need to adjust to it. Thanks for the tips.

4.) Yeah, my 3D glasses are cardboard as well. Reflections suck.

Still, this thread is awesome and I do intend to make use of the feature once I'm able to. Thanks for posting it.
Well, believe it or not, the reds CAN be off. The way you control for this in game is that you'd have to do a little easy registry editing to get the game to display in the shade of red your glasses use... I know it seems unlikely that they're off, but obviously they are Because there is no standardization among 3D glasses makers (and why should there be? They have nothing to gain from such a deal) the reds can be and are likely off. Normally there's a deal made between the movie maker and the glasses producer (if they're not the same people) to use matching reds and cyans (or the movie makers just find glasses that match). Yes it'd be easier for everyone if all glasses were just made using the same freakin colors lol.

To correct for this, though I don't expect you to, specifically, would be to do the following which is surprisingly simple and intuitive:
1) Put your glasses on and look through ONLY the left (red) lense at the following chart
(http://www.pagetutor.com/common/bgcolors1536.png -- click the image to make it large)

2) Find a red on the chart that, when looking through the red lense, becomes indistiguishable from the white background (it looks like it disappears into the white background). For instance, the red that works for me is "FF0000" (pure red). When I look at that block of red, I can't see its edges against the background on which it sits. Subsequently, it is the red in which my game and screenshots are displayed. If you can see the edges of FF0000, your glasses have a different shade of red than do mine.

3) When you find this red, look through the cyan lense at the same red you found in step 2. If it appears BLACK against a cyan background proceed to step 4. It it does not look black, go back to step 2.

4) Enter the hex color code into the registry for the left anaglyph display in Nvidia's driver. Basically, the easiest way to do this, is to make a .txt called colorfix.txt (or whatever you want to name it) on your desktop and put in the following:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]
@=""

"LeftAnaglyphFilter"=dword:FF------
Replace the dashes with the color code of the color that you found in the chart.

For instance, mine would be:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]
@=""

"LeftAnaglyphFilter"=dword:FFFF0000
5)Save the .txt, close it, rename your colorfix.txt to colorfix.reg. (for this, your file extensions have to be shown, but if you have those activated to begin with, you're probably also a person who I'd deem safe and knowledgable to do this kind of thing.

6) Double click the file and agree to the prompts.

That'd change the color of the red displayed in the game to match your glasses

This is exactly how you would change how the game displays other colors for other colored glasses as well. For instance, you would look through your magenta lense at a magenta that follows the same rules as the red, and a green that follow the same rules as cyan. Of course, you do the same with the other lense, and change RIGHTanaglyphfilter to match that one.

Why did I write all that out? Well, I'm bored, I know how to, and it may help others who google it

::EDIT:: This is a side note, but is this legit, or is this a somewhat decently clever attempt at giving me a virus? I got a PM from this Davietorr (username with 0 posts) saying:
Quote:
Dear, forum member!

There are viruses' activities from your computer! Highly recommend you to scan your computer for malicious and potentially unwanted software. If you do not follow this, I will have to make a complaint to your Internet Service Provider with attached log file (your IP address, etc.). If you want to find a report about your computer's security and solve every problem with it, please click here:

:INK REMOVED IN THIS POST IN CASE IT IS AN ATTEMPT AT PLANTING A VIRUS::

This is an online service that you can use for free spyware removal. Use it to scan your computer to help protect, clean, and keep your computer running at its best. Use the free scan to check for and remove viruses, spyware, and other potentially malicious software and to find vulnerabilities or shortcomings in your Internet security.

Thank you. Yours truly, David Torres.

Last edited by Neverent; 02-19-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post