Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010   #226
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
The code I put in place reads in all vectors in the bl;ock into a generic list. It then randomly selects one of the vectors from that list, so if there were only 2 in the list it would be a literal 50% chance 1 over the other. It's all very early and experimental but it seemed worth trying to get it working and iit actually does. It could be refined later with new formatting and logic so vectors within a certain island could be chosen or even to a zone level but there are a billion zones so I doubt that will happen.

Must have forgot a trap. I'll fix it so no entries in the file, or even no file, causes the normal behavior of rampage with no error.

The vector is x,y,z. If yuo set it on a spot on a bridge, that spot is where they will try to go. That's why you can set a spot inside a building like the deli. They'll go right in the door.

Updated:

That error should be fixed now. If the file is not found, or has nothing in it it can parse it will create an empty collection instead of a null and that will be skipped in CreateHavok causing it to use the normal killingspree code immediately. Going to go test unlock island command I'll null the file and confirm the issue is gone.

Updated:

New build posted. That issue should be gone regardless if the file is gone.

Also unlock workd and sure as shit they were hoofing it toward the other side of the island until their time and health triggered a defensive posture so this could be quite fun. The chance is set at 2 for you to test that is not the intended default. It's just set that way to make it happen often to monitor them like I said. The default will likely be a 1 in 6 or 1 i 8 chance of one doing it.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #227
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
Iron, i went to the other side of the map onto the third island. I had all twelve thugs to chase to the first island to see if they'd go but they stopped due to fighting, etc. I set their time from 660 sec max and 600 sec min and like 30000 armor. I then turned off Car Crews and Mayhem then turned it down to 1 thug and got this error: [ EXCEPTION ] [ StreetThugs.CreateHavok() ] Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. I turned down max thugs to spawn per tick to 1, no fix. Reset all Thug settings then okay. It's the max time / min time. the values caused the code. What is the max time your code will allow?

***I tested it several times BTW, I just didn't want to trial and error all night yet, but the time of 660 max and 330 max cause the error to pop up***
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #228
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
lol... well that's because you set a number bigger than the computer can handle in the data type containing it. How is that an Ambient Wars error

The internal time data I use is Ticks. There are 10000 ticks in 1 millisecond. Setting the seconds to such a huge value overflowed the 64bit long... I may set a maxium value allowed for those.
Old 08-14-2010   #229
motorsport71

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
okay. I just assumed 660 seconds = 11 minutes. I though my computer was smarter than that! lol
Oh, by your locations of interest on your vectors presaved in the AW download file, could you have a note like:
123.45, -678.90,12.34 (airport)
That way people won't have to guess, ie, me?
Old 08-14-2010   #230
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

_TargetTicks = Long.Parse((SetNextActionTimeInSeconds * 1000) * 10000)
LastTime = New TimeSpan(Now.Ticks)
NextTime = New TimeSpan(Now.Ticks + _TargetTicks)

It was a fast way to be able to store and calculated, at any moment within reason later, the time passed without having to create more heavy handed objects consuming resources.

That converts the seconds into milliseconds and that into ticks.

Later when I remember it I will use datetime objects to store the data and then use those to get the difference instead of directly using ticks at this level since it's not required it was just quick to do and that was the focus at the time.

It could turn into all kinds of shit. The goal was just to see if it was feasible. And we've proven it is, so there could be any number of things done with it. A simple way to do what you just requested would be to simply add delimiter support.

So it could instead be

x,y,z| This is inside the Deli in Hove Beach
x,y,z| This is in the middle of the tarmac at the Airport.
x,y,z| This is ....

But what we have at the moment is simply random vectors I saved while driving around.

There's now a temporary cap at 60sec in place until I put DT objects in there some time next week. I'm traveling back out of state to continue my contract so the next few days will be very busy. There will be a note under Bugs that I need to change to ussing DT objects and get away from raw Ticks data so the seconds could be huge at that point.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Old 08-14-2010   #231
motorsport71

I have been running for 47 minutes now, no problems. i noticed the car crews are crossing paths at traffic jambs, sometimes 3 or 4 including traffic and thugs etc. When i was playing in the Times Square looking area i set up a vector. OMG, with all the traffic and chaos, the car crews getting stuck in that traffic, and the peds all running around, my computer was getting a little... s l o w. Don't get me wrong, i could play just fine, i was just moving at probably 85% speed lol. No crash. Also, you don't need to reload scripts to change the vector. that one you just have to toggle AW off, change the vector in the AmbientWarsVector file, and toggle it back on again... i wasn't sure if we covered that.

UPDATE: I'm up to an hour and 40 minutes, all still good. No statues, 1 raining ped. Noticed slower respawning again of both the CarCrews and the Thugs after an hour+. It seems to be when you are driving really fast. During the day it's not so bad, you notice it more at night. I assume since peds are less frequent at night, even with the pedboost.

UPDATE: I restarted and set up a vector with 12 thugs, 4 car crews with reduced poll radius, and mayhem on. I turned on invulnerablilty and found myself, hopefully, a safe place to hide. I am going to let the game go for another long term stabilty test. I'll later be able to see how the program / machine is doing. I may not be back on tonight. I'll check the post later.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-14-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Old 08-15-2010   #232
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Yes I specifically have the loader for the file in the toggle code, as are a number of other loader functions I made. It was initially done that way because I intended to create an in-game config editor, but the controls are so limited it would take a long time and a huge amount of work so it's external instead, for now at-least.

Making final preperations to release to the public. This will include final pass over config comments, editor pass, creating readme, changing filenames to what i want so they are grouped better and easier to see in folder etc.

There will also be a new official mod site for it as the old one is truly obsolete and has a billion comments now moot in relation to this new project. Considering the work we've done I think a fresh start is a good way to begin again

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-15-2010 at 04:34 AM..
Old 08-15-2010   #233
motorsport71

cool. Okay, i let the game run for 9 hours 50 minutes. The thugs were still spawning correctly and running to vector. Mayhem targeted peds, which is a first time we've ever ran the program this long to my knowledge, were "running in place" and standing there as well. Carcrews were statues (as well as immediate peds). When i started driving around garbage collection grabbed everything up and the Mayhem seemed to be running again okay, Thugs were still good, and Carcrews were driving around shooting. It's just when they got out they statued. I'm not sure how long that takes considering recent mods so i'm going to make a test run this morning and see how long. It may take like 3 or 4 hours in which case it's moot to worry. After all the game ran for almost 10 hours on it's own without crashing.
Old 08-15-2010   #234
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Yep the statues are still a persistent issue. Hopefully I'll eventualy be able to track the damn problem(s) causing it down. But I'm going to release it regardless and work on that when I can. When it happens the only cure is a restart of the game because it's a memory corruption / memory leak issue I believe.

Just finished making the release package and will be creating the new mod site and support site for it after I post this message.

Updated:

The mod site is here:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/ambi...begining-f6036

And the new support thread is here:

http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124151

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-15-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Old 08-15-2010   #235
motorsport71

i have spent the last hour and a half looking for and finding a pattern to the Carcrews statues:
after 45 minutes they started appearing but at random intervals. sometimes i saw them frequently, and other times not for a while. So i began to search for a pattern. At and 1 hour and 45 minutes, Here it is:
Vehicles that contain 4 carcrew members are a 100% chance of all of them becoming statues.
Vehicles that contain 3 carcrew members are a 50/50 chance of all of them becoming statues.
Vehicles that contain 2 carcrew members are a 1 in 15 (give or take) chance of becoming statues, UNLESS in an area heavily populated by 4 carcrew statues, then it jumps up to 1 in 4 (give or take)
Vehicles containing only the driver i never ran into a statue.

The page looks great. Thank you for the mention. That means a lot.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-15-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Old 08-15-2010   #236
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ok nice finds. Hopefully I can isolate the actual cause of the stupid things soon and stomp the bastard bug out for good but so far that hasn't happened. It's just gotten improved (slower to hapen) over time.