Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010   #211
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
i'm noticing something. When the car crews statues are appearing now they are "pretending" to be shooting, in a shooting pose and moving as if they were firing a weapon. Also the vehicles that the crews are driving are being swept up in front of me while still in use. There will be a car crew just jumping out of the car and it will get swept up, or i'll be chasing a full car load and the whole car will disapear. I also am having regular vehicles disappear in front of me as a new car crew spawns a blip on the radar. It becomes way more evident if i turn the vehicle density way down, say 30 instead of 75. Getting some sleep, long day, will check post in morning.
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #212
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
I'll turn down traffic and see if I can spot this type of stuff I run it maxed all the time usually. I already know there are certainly issues with them taking over a car that is closer than it's allowed just hadn't got in there yet to see where it's missing it because finding leak was bigger issue. I'll notate the to close issue in the bugs section so I stop forgetting to look into it.

Updated:

Yep already found the bug causing (probably) them to spawn into a car they shouldn't. I had a driver check in there, but I didn't also confirm the driver was actually alive for the IsCarValid to rpass. Continuing to rummage the code.

Updated:

Found and fixed a number of bugs including some related to recently adding extra checks on acceptable models. There should no longer be spawning in excluded models again and there should be proper spawning in actual acceptable models after the exclusions check is completed. This affects crews and mayhem.

There's also a few performance improvements and a big one is putting back in a thread wait after the creation code ticks off in CreateHavok. This is currently for crews and thugs but not for mayhem because that is far less intensive on the system. The goal of this new wait is to, only after a true result from CreateHavok, give back 250ms to the game for it to do its work instead of grinding the iterations up to max # allowable crews or thugs. This is experimental and can be controlled / disabled with a new property UseThreadWaits under AllThugs. Going to make a build and upload now.

Updated:

Ok the new build is there. The rev history has a number of new entries as well. I'll be out for a few so I'll leave it running here and see what happens.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #213
motorsport71

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
grabbed it and going to run the crap out of it as well. I kept wanting to tell you, and this is sooo my bad, that i noticed in some car crews that the vehicle would act like and "ant hill". I've seen multiple car crew members, i believe once up to seven, come out of a single four door vehicle. DAMN i cannot belive i didn't think of the importance of this. Somethimes, as well, if you say kill a passenger of a convertable while the driver is still going a new one will spawn in it's place and they will keep going. It was last night I've killed drivers and after the car stopped another one would spawn in it's place and the car would take off. I assumed that is part of your code but after you said "adding extra checks on acceptable models" the dead guys shouldn't be acceptable i presume. Could that all be part of the memory leak? Anyway, i realize how important that was now and "FACEPALM HARD" am sorry. This is why my wife went to college four years to do QA, although her degree is IST.

UPDATE: i've been playing hard putting it to the test for an hour and a half and not a single car crew statue! the only usual glitches i've seen are only 1 falling ped and only 1 car disappear in front of me. At 1 hour i noticed the car crews don't like to spawn at a regular inverval. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes or longer. If you enter the car spawner and wait a few seconds then select your car they will begin spawning but will not tend to respawn once out of screen or after they've been destroyed / killed. Then out of the blue they sometimes will respawn again, but after a lot of ticks. I also like when a car crew leader jumps out of a car when it catches fire, that's cool. Did you make their cars easier to damage out by chance? It seems like I can shoot them up faster, but i also upgraded my weapon from my uzi to the next one up and am not sure of how powerful it is.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-14-2010 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 08-14-2010   #214
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
09:41:49:505 to 12:18:58:786 while out on errands.

No crash. Couple sky-peds, no statues, car crews didn't spawn again until leaving the area and letting the abandoned cars get disposed by the game.

And speaking that, I was considering aspects of what needed to be fixed while driving around town here doing the errands and the #1 thing that occured to me is the fact when a crew is all dead but their car is not, the code does not currently test for this. It only sees if the car itself is still drivable. That means as long as you are in the area where the car was abandoned (because crew got out burning to death or killed each other) that car will -never- be released by AW because it is still a valid car.

So I'm going to create Abandoned Car logic and a way to associate a crew with the car itself, so during Maintain when I'm checking car status I can add a check to see if the crew that owns the car is still around and if not it will get released back to the game, including a chance of either exploding outright or "overheating" which will start the motor on fire. This is the only way to make sure the abandonded car will disappear if you are near it without disappearing. It will go out in a blaze, one way or the other, bu the key is it will be gone and removed from the cars list iI track, and that's the bottom line reason crews stop spawning after awhile. It's because the Car is still in the list, and the Cars llist count is part of controller for maxcarcrews check.

Updated:

Ok new Abandoned Cars is working. Just need to add a max chance outright explode property so can control frequency of that versus motor overheat which is slower death but will still eventually explode. There's no other way to dipose the cars in a good meaningful way that doesn't have them disappear. If you can think of something I'm open.

Actually there is a 3rd option. To fully release it back to the game and release it from AW control without doing anything to it at all. This will remove it from the cars list freeing up another slot for spawning so the only thing limiting that will be the game itself and how many cars (dead or otherwise) it will allow total to exist within the players awareness. I will add another property for motor overheat. In this way, 2 different chance outcomes can configurably occur and if neither hit it will just release it back without doing anything. Going to change the color of the icon too, to darkgreen to indicate abandoned. Running out of colors.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Old 08-14-2010   #215
motorsport71

11:25:37 - 14:03:54. No crashes, no statues at all for car crews, and only one more falling ped. Awesome! Heading to get lunch, will check post when i return later. You have the stability thing about nailed. I recommend once the stability is achieved the way it is set up now, clean up the editor and send out a public release for public testing. While it's out there we can play with additional addons and so on in private testing (if you'd still have my assistance).
Old 08-14-2010   #216
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

lol... yes, I'll still have your assistance. You've been as central to helping isolate and identify flaws, quirks, glitches and bugs as HazardX has been central in accepting my findings realizing quickly he was dealing with a fellow engineer and not some kid bugging him. The 3 of us in the last 2 weeks have done 2 things because of this. We wound up making the core SHDN far more stable than ever in its history due to Ambient Wars excersizing so many rare and other functions so hard so often when running, and made the most stable usable Ambient Wars in history. Do not doubt or downplay your role in making this a true statement

Also I just changed a little bit the Abandoned code. Now instead of an outright explosion, the properties wil be:

CarCrew.MaxChanceAbandonedCarGasLeak=10 // Max chance (higher is less likely) a Crew Car abandoned by a crew where none of the crew are still alive has been shot in the gas tank.
CarCrew.MaxChanceAbandonedCarOverHeat=4 // Max chance (higher is less likely) a Crew Car abandoned by a crew where none are alive will see the motor overheat.

So either or neither of these will be applied based on the chance hitting and then the car will be released and garbage collected from AW car tracking making a free spot for another car crew.

Updated:

Drove around the initial area and saved some points of interest and created a random vector reader from the vector list, and created a test so when street thugs spawn they have a "favorite" spot and run to it before starting to go nuts. In its basic form it is flawled because unfortunately tha task sequence does not have KillingSpree task which is stupid. It only has fight hated, and even though all thugs are sent through code that makes them hate everything in the game, it doesn't make them do the same thing as a killing spree.

Sooo I'll have to create a way to know they've been assigned a task, and track their distance to the task vector and when they get close enough set the off on a rampage, -and- also track the time theu've been assigned that task and when time runs out, set them on a killing spree regardless of where they are in relation to the task vector because they will never of course always get there. And then when all that is done, create a chance property to control the chance they have a favored spot kicking all this off, or normal rampage when chance misses. Just trying to get more interest and life into the goings on and street thugs haven't seen much "love" recently so I figured I'll do this, or try to.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 02:30 PM..
Old 08-14-2010   #217
motorsport71

Thanks Iron. I've been meaning to ask you, did you set an internal limit to the number of car crews, thugs, and mayhem that can happen? And is the PedDensity still being boosted? I read the config file but i didn't see anything about it.
Old 08-14-2010   #218
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

You bet.

Nope no internal limit. There was in previous project but don't think that is in this one.

Nope ped density didn't make it in yet though I can add that in a second.

I just finished doing all that stuff I said up there and we can now have street thugs running to favored spots but the goal isn't for them to reach it. It's just to have them behaving at-least in an additional way other than simply going beserk whereever they happen to start at.

And it's plugged up and totally working. Now I just need to add properties for min and max allowed seconds for them to try and reach their favorite spot before they give up and go ape shit wherever they are at that moment.

I may also need to add a check for health so if they are being shot or severly injured it will clear their block perm events status so they can respond. That's a tricky property because it is required to use to make the games AI "without fail" do some "thing" regardless of what is happening. that's what makes the car crew drivers drive, even through a hail of bullets and explosions. Without that, they would simply get out of the car and do whatever.

But that property is also why you seem them some times just stand somewhere being shot and not responding. Anyway let me implement this last bit and then I'll shoot a new build for testing.
Old 08-14-2010   #219
motorsport71

i just played with the settings one at a time. i set the thugs up 50 and with the tick set down to 2000 m/s i could only get it to spawn 30 to maybe 35 at most at a time, and that was in the Time Square looking area (problably the pedboost). I couldn't get the car crews to spawn much past 6 or 7 and i had it set for 15 then cut the tick in half. Mayhem seemed okay, and i cut it's tick in half for the fun of it. I then cut carcrews and thugs to the numbers i could get them to spawn the most off independently and run them together and no crash... just a wonderful warzone. I don't think i was getting all the numbers of thugs i set but i didn't sit in one area for a very long time either. The car crews seemed to spawn a little slow like the resources allocated to them were at the back of the line. My PC just probably didn't have enough power to push it all to the max (that i was getting from them independently) as a whole.
Old 08-14-2010   #220
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

This took a huge amount of work because I had to cover a LOT of possibilities and what-ifs as well as detect when the game simply didn't make them do it for whatever reason, but it's working now. I'll have the chance set higher than it will normally be so you can help monitor and track their actions. It'll be a 1 in 2 chance for every street thug that they get assigned a target vector to try and reach. The time their given to do it is now also much higher because of all the other branches that try and catch them -not- doing it for whatever (many) reasons.

Going to set the options up then make a build.

Updated:

Ok it's posted.

If you want you can create your own custom objective vectors for the thugs. To do this just go some places of interest in the game and press capslock. I changed it from default because it's just faster. Every time you do that you have dumped your precise vector to a dump file. Then when done you can just take the contents of that and replace the single default entry in the vector file that came with AW with your vectors instead, and that's what they will use. Could be used for testing or goofing whatever. Just follow the obvious format you see in the file. no spaces and under the [ name ]

I think we're almost there. I posted a note it could be released tonight or tomorrow. Not sure what "cleaning up the editor" means unless you just meant it's ugly as shit and needs work. If that's the case, no. It's minimally functional to perfect edit the file quickly as long as no fat finger stuff and no messing with the format manually. But if you saw an error or something definitely let me know so I can address it.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 06:01 PM..
Old 08-14-2010   #221
motorsport71

okay, i got it. getting into it no. There was a missing completed thought i had seen in one of the earlier editor's so i just meant go through it, that's all. It looks great and is a hell of a lot easier then sifting through the config file as before. I like. I like lots. Besides, i just went through all the lines and everything looks okay to me.
Old 08-14-2010   #222
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Oooh. Ok gotcha you mean the comments. Well adding support for being able to keep all that was actually an after thought when I was writing the thing. But since I had written so damn much it seemed retarded to lose it so that's why I came up with a format so they could be kept. But yes that is totally possible some of them are half complete I will go through each one and see.

Updated:

Good catch. I do see some chopped off text. It's not cause they were unfinished thoughts it was from copy paste awhile back. Going through and reformatting some too where they are grouped together in chunks that are hard to read.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Old 08-14-2010   #223
motorsport71

okay, a really bad t-storm is rolling through and i may loose power (MY GRID SUCKS) I copied my saved vector dumps into the AmbientWarsVecotors file and erased yours. Everything is okay as long as there are files there. How close to the coordinates are the Thugs supposed to get? I realize if they come across each other they begin fighting.
Old 08-14-2010   #224
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

If they reach within 25 clicks of the target vector before their assigned time to get there (random between min and max of custom task min time settings) they will kick into rage mode. However it is not running into other thugs that's causing them to stop. It's the fact the other thugs are injuring them, and one of my catch branches is detecting they've lost CustomTaskMinHealthDrop worth of health since they started on their journey.

This was so it could be controlled how ruged they are. How intent they are on reaching the goal. If you set that number to something like 100 (haven't done this but it should have this outcome) they won't stop at all and will die in a run.

The BlockPermenantEvents is on them which is critical to forcing them to run through the city with all hell breaking loose and even being shot. But I had to create a huge amount of code to catch various scenarios to prevent them from just standing around in many situations, and also not to be so retarded they never defend themselves if they don't reach the goal etc etc. Fun stuff.

But the vectors work pretty well. They are extremely accurate. Accurate enough to make a thug run into the deli and stop at the counter in front of the cashier and then go ballasitc.

BUT.. right now there isn't a zone based sectioning. So you could be on the other side of thei island and when a vector is selected that's where it will try to go so if it actually can calc that far and start to move I imagnie you could follow one across the entire island if it didn't die but that is highly unlikely.

I'm going to add a quick key to unlock the islands real quick so I can see how far away they can be and actually try to get back to the initial area.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-14-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Old 08-14-2010   #225
motorsport71

here's a question. I had a vector set an intersection at the safe house at Hove beach. I died due to an explosion and ended up at the hospital. So i set up a second vector at the hospita and placed it in the AmbientWarsVectors files. After resetting the scripts all the thugs still ran like hell for Hove Beach which was away from the hospital in the opposite direction. They only go for one vector then instead of the closest I assume? If there are no vectors in the file it errors. I saw a setting to reduce the chance of them running for it, so maybe when released to the public it should be set to a lower chance default, maybe 5 or 6, for whatever line you choose for the coordinates. Also, if you set it on a bridge does account for x,y,z so they end up on the bridge and not below it? (hadn't tried it yet)