Old 06-02-2015   #1
mj_and_hj
Newbie Member

mj_and_hj is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which Version to get to mod

I want to get GTA IV but which one should I get? I plan to do all kinds of mods and play around with it on our PC. Do I get just the regular game or the Complete Edition? My question is do the mods work on both versions or are specific to one version or the other?

I already own the game on console so it doesn't matter to me. I just want to start modding and learning. Thanks everyone.
mj_and_hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #2
Killerfist
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Kinda depends what you want really.. complete edition is with episodes from liberty city (tbogt and tlad)

Mods like weapons, textures and cars usually work on either one (base game or the episodes) some graphics mods are only meant for the base game so that won't work (as well) on the episodes.

If you're meaning to play online it can be useful to get the complete edition so that you can mod your base game and keep your episodes clean. Because if you install mods you'll get placed on seperate servers on which most people have cheats like god mode.

But yea the base game is most suited for modding so if you don't care about online or the story mode just Gta IV would do
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #3
mj_and_hj
Newbie Member

Yeah I don't care about online so it sounds like the base game is what I want. I just wanted to make sure that newer mods will work on base game. More for tinkering around in my few minutes of spare time a week. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2015   #4
Killerfist
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Sure no problem, if you run into any issues let me know
Old 06-03-2015   #5
mj_and_hj
Newbie Member

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Update: I bought the following on Amazon:
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
$15 and it goes through steam. Hopefully I can still do some mods with it being a steam game. Hope I didn't pull trigger to fast seeing this deal.

Last edited by mj_and_hj; 06-04-2015 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 06-05-2015   #6
Killerfist
Addicted Member

No you'll be fine, mods work on the steam version as well.. just make sure the mods you download are meant for patch 1.0.7.0 (since steam will auto update to the latest patch).

Mostely with graphic and script mods, the rest usually works for all patches