Old 01-23-2009   #1
Stu

Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough
Was ****** a satisfying villain? (spoilers)

I always found how Dmitri turned against you a bit out of the blue. He doesn't just take sides against Niko, but he also becomes a smug prick and makes it really personal to him to get Niko, which seems really at odds with his earlier behaviour, which seemed to prize "good business" above anything else. Also because it reduces the focus on Bulgarin, who's talked about more than he actually appears in the game. I would have preferred if Bulgarin had shown up at the meeting, and killed Dmitri, taking over his gang, or if he muscled Dmitri into working for him, because Dmitri doesn't have Mikhael's impulsiveness or courage. Then Dmitri's actions could be driven more by "good business", and Bulgarin could be more dominant in the main story. Then when it came time to choose "revenge" or "deal", the revenge option could play out the same, where you attack the boat and kill Dmitri. The deal option on the other hand could have played out the same, but when Roman is killed, Dmitri could be the one who tips Niko off to Bulgarin's location, because he thinks Bulgarin's taking it too far, like Mikhael was. This way, both endings could be about killing Bulgarin(Jimmy Pegorino could have been killed in a cutscene, like he does in the actual "deal" ending, and so could Dmitri, by Bulgarin when he finds out Dmitri sold him out). What's your opinion?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I actually liked it, the game gave us a reason to hate Dimitri. Dimitri is a manipulative cunt who's nice and kind until he gets what he wants, of course we don't know this. He's kind to Niko at first and tries to make out like he's doing us a favour, and when he made us kill Faustin, he made it seem like it was our only way out when in the end, after we done the deed, it was all a trick to get us, the player, to do what he wants and then he just stabs us in the back and sells us out. To me this actually gave me more of a reason to hate him, compared to previous antagonists where the game just points them out right away, with IV we're led astray by people and the main enemy is one who tricked us into doing things for him before laughing at us and selling us out, in a way, made it feel more personal.
Ash_735 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #3
devil chevelle
guy with the worst punctuation

devil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enough
sounds like you got good ideas the only thing i dont agree with is bulgarian taking over the gang i dont think he could lead the gang nor would he want to hes already powerful enough with his people and his smuggling operation and hes even more powerful with all the backup he gets from sellin those humans to others.plus he is supposed to be dead to american authorites so if he starts leading the faustin/dimitri bratva there going to pin him down also the kratsi krug wont find it comforting to find some random dude to take over an organazation and then just be happy with it.

I am Mister X - Play
devil chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #4
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
i hated Dimitri, so it was easy for me to choose the Revenge Ending which i think was the better ending.
So overall yes i think he was a good villain for mostly the reasons Ash stated
I also agree with devil's thoughts on Bulgarin taking over the gang

on another note (slightly off topic but still related)
i thought the whole darko bravic or w/e his name is thing was stupid, the whole time Niko's looking for this man and then when u finally find him he's helpless, and u have to choose if he lives or dies, to me it felt like choosing if the random pedestrian would die right now or live. With him being "that special someone" i think we should have had more reason to hate him. good thing choosing to kill him or not had no effect on the story.

Last edited by lillb; 01-23-2009 at 02:28 PM..
lillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #5
GTA Mike
Eh?

GTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to beholdGTA Mike is a splendid one to behold
He wasn't as memorable a villain as say the cop in San Andreas (Samuel l. Jackson, dont remember the character name), but he was a decent enough one
Old 01-23-2009   #6
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Mike View Post
He wasn't as memorable a villain as say the cop in San Andreas (Samuel l. Jackson, dont remember the character name), but he was a decent enough one
wasn't it Tenpenny? the fat white one was like Pulaski
Old 01-23-2009   #7
devil chevelle
guy with the worst punctuation

devil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enough
i liked dimitri a lot as a main villian also what they did with darko brevic is to show you and see how much you have changed on the story line to not just niko i mean yes they did give a lot of emphasis on how much niko wanted to get answers from him.i think another reason they made him helpless is to also test you i mean it will show u how much of a sick man you are if u kill a helpless unarmed person compared to a gun wielding man.

I am Mister X - Play
devil chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #8
lillb
Casual User

i guess you're right
but i was disappointed with that conflict
but back on topic i thought dimitri was a pretty good villian
although tenpenny from SA was a dick i didn't hate him as much, maybe cause it was Samuel L. Jackson's voice and that guys the man
this game was by far the most emotional. You could really feel Niko's anger and sadness during certain events so I think they did well with Dimitri's backstabbing
Old 01-23-2009   #9
Thomas B.
Streets ahead

Thomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of light
I really think Dimitri fit well into the story. He was introduced as the antagonist kind of early in the game, which gave it a lot more story. unlike how in Vice City Lance sells Tommy out right at the end, which made the only real story of Vice City was to get the money for Forelli.
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #10
Slevin
Newbie Member

Slevin is on a distinguished roadSlevin is on a distinguished road
Perhaps Dimitri is the most memorable villain in the GTA series. Like some people have said, you really get to hate the bastard and I don't think most GTA fans despised him in the same way as Tenpenny or Lance. Seriously, who didn't wish they could just kill Dimitri after he backstabs Niko and kidnaps Roman?

I just think that Bulgarin could have been a more menancing character as well. After accusing Niko so many times of stealing his money, I was sure that you'd get to kill him too...
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #11
JRussell89
Dats da fact jack!

JRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Mike View Post
Officer Frank Tenpenny was his name. He wasn't that bad as a villain, I definitely wanted to kill him by the end of the game. I would have preferred to have killed OG Loc most of all.

Dimitri was a conniving little bitch that needed to be iced, but I never really cared what he was doing or saying. I, personally, don't pay any mind to shit talking in games. Still to this day, I think Bulgarin or Petrovic would have made a better overall villain for Niko to have to defend his family and take revenge on.
JRussell89 is offline   Reply With Quote