Old 03-02-2009   #1
Foolsbry
Newbie Member

Foolsbry is an unknown quantity at this point
A new kind of lag problem

Hey guys,

I recently bought GTA IV for PC and I'm having some problems. For reasons which are unknown to me, I get a sort of periodic lag. Like, right from the start of playing the game every couple of seconds the game will get a huge lag spike, which lasts for about 2 seconds, then runs perfectly. Then after about 4 or 5 seconds the lag spikes again. I can't figure out why? I tried the "commandline" text document thing which didn't help at all.

Here is my system...

nVidia 8800gt 512mb
Intel Q8300 at 2.5ghz
MSI P7N Diamond Motherboard
2 x 2 gb Kingston RAM at 1066mhz
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card
XP 32Bit

The weird thing is that I just upgraded my motherboard, cpu and ram and before that GTA ran pretty good on medium settings, but now it lags bad on a little bit better settings. But it's not really "lag", it's more like frame skips (that are more noticeable in cut scenes). If it didn't have these sudden dips the game would run perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just had the game Alt-Tabbed while writing this post and when I went back into it, it played alright... for about 20 seconds, but that's longer than normal. Once it started to lag again it went back to its original cycle of 2 seconds of lag followed by 5 seconds of good frames etc.

I also have the game updated to patch #2.

Another Update: I just did the benchmark (which also lag spiked) and after it was finished in the Hardware section it stated that I have an Intel Pentium III Xeon processor...? Why?

Okay, well, it turns out that my problem may not be GTA based. When I installed my new computer parts I had to keep my new processor out and update the BIOS on my new motherboard because they weren't compatible with each other. I used the stock BIOS tool that came with my motherboard - which is, apparently - a bad thing. I didn't have any other games installed so I installed FEAR 2 and I get similar (but not as severe) lag spikes in that aswell.

So, any thoughts on what I should do next?

Last edited by Foolsbry; 03-02-2009 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Foolsbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #2
YourChiller
Newbie Member

YourChiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Got the same issue Kinda sucks...
YourChiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #3
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Exactly why console games shouldn't be ported. Requires too much upgrading.
CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #4
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
well for one thing, you have 4GB of memory on a 32 bit OS, the lag spikes you are refering too could be the 32 bit limitation as it can't address more than 3.2GB of ram. GTA4 is a memory hogg so it will use up all of it easily. Upgrade to windows vista 64 bit to benefit the full 4GB of ram and see if it makes a difference.
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #5
Foolsbry
Newbie Member

Foolsbry is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh wow, people replied. I already fixed this problem ages ago, I just didn't want to pointlessly bump the thread. My problem was my CPU fan wasn't on properly, so what was happening was I would play, the CPU would get REALLY hot (+80C), lag, get a chance to cool down and repeat. But I somehow figured out that that was the problem and fixed it. So it's all good now.

And thanks Nite. I did already know about the XP memory limitations and stuff.

So yeah, thanks guys.
Foolsbry is offline   Reply With Quote