Old 02-19-2009   #1
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Glitch or serious R* Error?

Here's the story;

my mate brought his hard drive round with some points and I installed it fine, but the HDD was in my 360. When he took it home, it wouldn't load but it was definitely on his hard drive cos I watched him play it.

So he deleted it, brought his 360 over to mine and downloaded it again. But it wouldn't load unless he was signed into Live. So he played to the first save and saved it. Now it won't load and comes up with the following message;

To play it he went into Games Library>GTA IV>Downloads>TLaD and it says he needs to be signed into Xbox Live to play it.

He's got his copy of IV saved onto his hard drive, but shouldn't make any difference. Do we know if this is a known error?

So it seems you can only play TLaD whilst signed into Xbox Live. But what happens when all the Silver members' free Gold trial runs out, have they wasted their money? R* should really look into this.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #2
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Any purchased content gets signed to the Xbox Live account it was purchased under, so yes, you always need to sign into Xbox Live to access DLC content on any game/arcade game. You can still sign into Live if you're a silver member, it just requires the account to be signed in so the purchase rights are seen.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #3
jim_genius5

jim_genius5 is on a distinguished roadjim_genius5 is on a distinguished roadjim_genius5 is on a distinguished road
Hey. I use a Silver account to download all my content because my Gold account is a child account (I know.. Sucks!!). Does that mean that I cannot play TLAD on my own account if I download it using another?
jim_genius5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #4
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
NO! It gets signed onto the account you purchased it on, ALL content is done this way for safety, DRM, and proof reasons. If you purchase something over one account, you won't be able to access it on another account unless you remained signed in on a second controller.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #5
yimpat
Registered Loser

yimpat is on a distinguished roadyimpat is on a distinguished road
I never play online,I'm a silver member and straight after I downloaded it I took my xbox off live and played it. I've never actually been connected to live when playing it. I never have tried the method of opening it up from the dashboard as it will load it automatically once I select gtaIV as it is my most recent save. I suspect you must require the original gta 4 disk in the xbox to verify you have the game as usual.I'll try opening it from the dashboard in a min.

Edit: well I can't even access the LAD screen as selecting downloads tells me I need to be signed in.Maybe I don't understand the situation but all I know based on how it works in my console is that

You must have GTA IV in the disk drive.
You load up gta IV like any other game.
Once the game is running it will load your most recent save which could be either LAD or IV.
If it loads IV just load up a LAD save or select new game LAD.
You don't need to be signed in to play it.

Last edited by yimpat; 02-19-2009 at 01:43 PM..
yimpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #6
devil chevelle
guy with the worst punctuation

devil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enoughdevil chevelle will become famous soon enough
ive onlly played offline with tlad the only reason i logged in for the lost and the damned was to get the update you always need to have the update the download to play it. also why were you trying to not purchase the game its only twenty bucks maybe this is microsofts way of getting there money and not wanting people to get copys for free.

I am Mister X - Play
devil chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #7
CB

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
No Ash, even though he's signed into HIS account, with HIS 360 and HIS hard drive, it only lets him play it while he was on Xbox Live. Once we unplugged the Ethernet cable, he was unable to play it. So he can't play it because he hasn't got internet at home, that's why he downloaded it at my house.

Basically; it's on his Xbox, on his Account but can't play it unless on Live.

Old 02-19-2009   #8
yimpat
Registered Loser

yimpat is on a distinguished roadyimpat is on a distinguished road
that's so odd,so even when entered within the game as opposed to the dashboard it still doesn't work?
yimpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #9
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
No Ash, even though he's signed into HIS account, with HIS 360 and HIS hard drive, it only lets him play it while he was on Xbox Live. Once we unplugged the Ethernet cable, he was unable to play it. So he can't play it because he hasn't got internet at home, that's why he downloaded it at my house.

Basically; it's on his Xbox, on his Account but can't play it unless on Live.
Your friend should have brought his entire console to your place, not just the HDD.

Quote:
When you download content from Xbox Live Marketplace, that content is licensed to the console you downloaded it to and the profile you downloaded it with. The console license allows anyone to use that content on that console, online or off. The profile license allows you to use the content on any console, as long as you're signed in to Xbox Live
Link

See the Usage Restrictions section.

You & your friend maybe able to transfer the license, see www.xbox.com/drm but make sure you check out how it works first as I don't know if you can transfer individual item licenses or if it has to be the whole lot. He may need to put his HDD back in your console (not a euphamism) when you do this. Jusr be sure to read up on how the license transfer works before going ahead with it as you can only do it once per year and you don't want to accidentally transfer your own licenses to someone else.

EDIT: It's nothing to do with Silver/Gold, ya dig?

Last edited by Jimmy_86; 02-19-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #10
CB

Quote:
So he deleted it, brought his 360 over to mine and downloaded it again.
I did say he downloaded onto his.

Old 02-20-2009   #11
MurphySk8

MurphySk8 is on a distinguished roadMurphySk8 is on a distinguished roadMurphySk8 is on a distinguished roadMurphySk8 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, without an internet connection, you're only allowed to play DLC on the 360 you used to download it. We have three 360's in our house, and they're all hooked up to Xbox Live, but if I download some Rock Band tracks in here, and then take my harddrive into the living room, unplug the ethernet cable, and try to play them, they won't work. It's all about licensing issues. It's screwy, but it's the way Microsoft does things.

We have a Rock Band night nearly every weekend, so one week my friend decided we'd try it at his house and use his new stereo. Got everything over there and set up, instruments and all, then went to play a DLC song and the game quit back to the main menu. Every time. He didn't have his 360 connected to his internet, since he has dial-up. They don't tell you stuff like this, unfortunately.

Like it's been said, if your friend brings his entire 360 over and downloads it like that, it's supposed to work, so long as he deletes it completely, and then re-downloads it. Just going to download again won't work, as far as I know. Thing that really bugs me is that installed games are like that. I install my games to my harddrive to prevent scratching, so then I take my game and my harddrive over to a friend's house and I have to delete and reinstall it, because his 360 cuts up discs like Tom Dickson from BlendTec.

Also, they're right about the gold/silver thing. Doesn't have any effect on it so long as you have one or the other and an internet connection. Then you never have problems with DLC, but once the net drops out of the picture, you got all that other crap to worry about.

Last edited by MurphySk8; 02-20-2009 at 03:42 AM..
MurphySk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #12
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
I did say he downloaded onto his.
The problem is that it was purchased through your console, that's what I'm saying. Downloading it again doesn't make a difference. The licence is linked his Xbox Live account and your physical console, you'll have to hope you can transfer the TLAD license otherwise he won't be able to play when not connected to Live.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #13
JaredN
Newbie Member

JaredN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Here's the story;

my mate brought his hard drive round with some points and I installed it fine, but the HDD was in my 360. When he took it home, it wouldn't load but it was definitely on his hard drive cos I watched him play it.

So he deleted it, brought his 360 over to mine and downloaded it again. But it wouldn't load unless he was signed into Live. So he played to the first save and saved it. Now it won't load and comes up with the following message;

To play it he went into Games Library>GTA IV>Downloads>TLaD and it says he needs to be signed into Xbox Live to play it.

He's got his copy of IV saved onto his hard drive, but shouldn't make any difference. Do we know if this is a known error?

So it seems you can only play TLaD whilst signed into Xbox Live. But what happens when all the Silver members' free Gold trial runs out, have they wasted their money? R* should really look into this.
It deals with licensing issues regarding the actual console, its a common thing if you get RROD and need a replacement console, you need to re-download everything onto your hard-drive to get the updated licenses, even if its yours on the hard drive.
Old 02-21-2009   #14
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
This might work:

Tell him to bring his xbox to your house, with his HDD, and sign into his XBL (needs to be connected to Live).

Go to: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/drm/

And then follow the steps it tells you to. Every single license should be on his Xbox and account. He should be able to play TLAD offline now. I say should because you can never be sure when it comes to licenses and/or Microsoft.

Also, check out the FAQ, main points is that you can only use it once every twelve months, and you need to redownload everything to get it to work.

Last edited by thenotsogoodtrickster; 02-21-2009 at 10:36 AM..
thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote